RGP Solutions

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Val G
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Val G » Tue 09 May 2006 6:02 pm

David

I'm having a lens check next week so I will take my Tesco solutions along for approval before I start to use them. I have used the same (Asda) solutions for a lot a years without any problems. The packaging and formulation of these seems to have changed. The daily cleaner used to be a clear, slighty viscous fluid but is now white. So it looks like I've changed solutions unintentionally in this case.
Apoligies if in my previous post it sounded like I would change solutions 'willy nilly'. This is not the case. But if the Tesco solutions are made by a known brand, which I'm sure most own brands are, then I'm willing to give them a try, but taking your advice onboard I will check with my Optometrist first.

Sweet
Committee
Committee

Postby Sweet » Wed 10 May 2006 3:00 am

Ok that makes sense!

I do change brands regularly but only ones i know i can use without a problem. I stick with ones such as Boston and Miraflow and have never tried supermarket brands for the reason that i don't know what they are like.

Sweet X x X
Sweet X x X

Sas

Postby Sas » Wed 10 May 2006 7:13 pm

As a KC with RGP and allergies to certain solutions I have found that Total Care is the only one I can use - but agree with previous posts that it is trial and error! I was using Boston for years and then a change in either "me" or my lens gave me a reaction to Boston solutions. I tried several with disspointment and Total Care came out trumps....as for cost - I am lucky that my local "Cost Co" stocks Total Care.

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby rosemary johnson » Thu 11 May 2006 9:09 pm

Can't really help on price/purchase as I get my wetting solutions, and saline, from Moorfields.

I use Boston wetting solution (which is the same stuff as Bosch and Lomb - sp?), and Amidose saline, which I don't like much, but have got hardened to.
I have also used Miraflow - my eyes ave no problems with it, but I prefer something without a volatile/alcohol solvent because of my lungs.

I clean my lenses (RGP sclerals) in fairy liquid. Or supermarket own-lable washing up liquid. Needless to say this is far cheaper than any stuff sold for cleaning contact lenses, and I have to have some around for doig the washing up. I've also heard baby shampoo suggested by my optoms - and in fact the instruction sheet I once got from Moorfields just said "household cleaner".

There wwill now, no doubt, follow the obligatory "up in arms" message from Ali Akay saying what a dangerous practice this is, and how we should do nothing of the sort, but buy one of the expensive commercial CL cleaners (such as those sold in ali's practice). Well, sorry, but I'm not changing, and MEH aare quite happy with what i'm doing - and theclean state of my lenses! Apart from other considerations, people who have to pay out a lot for a contact lens cleaner tend to stint it; people used to upending the Fiary bottle over the washing up bowl tend to squirt it out liberally and so use neough to do a good job.
NOTE: it is very important, I agree with previous posters, to find out exactly what sort of lenses you have. SOme are a combination of hard and soft. You can't use "ordinary" hard lens fluids on a lens that is partially soft ("hydrophilic"). DO NOT!! use washing up liquid, baby shampoo, shower gel or liquid soap hand wash on any SOFT or combination hard/soft lens.

Rosemary

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Fri 12 May 2006 7:14 am

Rosemary,

If memory serves, it was an eminet person from the MEH contact lens dept that first recomended the use of washing up liquid for sclerals.

or was I jsut dreaming?
Gareth

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion

Postby rosemary johnson » Fri 12 May 2006 6:42 pm

GarethB wrote:Rosemary,

If memory serves, it was an eminet person from the MEH contact lens dept that first recomended the use of washing up liquid for sclerals.

or was I jsut dreaming?

No idea, to be honest! I'd come across the idea of cleaning PMMA (as they then all were) contacts with washing up liquid long before I ever darkened the doors of MEH!
I have in my filing cabinet a duplicated sheet of instructions on lens care from MEH which just says "Household cleaner".
Rosemary

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Fri 12 May 2006 7:04 pm

"Household cleaner"

There are so many different types flash floor cleaner would come into that catogory. Would hat to think what that could do to lenses.

If that were the US, you would be open to all sorts of law suits. Since a bloke crashed his camper fitted with cruise control all cars have a warning basiclly saying cruise control fixes the cars controls, but the driver is still responsible for keeping the thing on the road.

The guy in the camper put his cruise control on and then got up once on the motorway to sit in the back and have a coffe while the camper drove itself. Needless to say the camper crashed in a spectacular manner, but thick bloke won his legal case and got a heft compensation too.
Gareth

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion

Postby rosemary johnson » Sat 13 May 2006 3:51 pm

Well, yeah, "household cleaner" could even include a Brillo pad.......
I'll stick to recommending washing up liquid.
Though personally, I have also used shower gel, liquid soap/handwash and a few other things.

The cruise contro case is just stupid! - what times we live in!!
Rosemary

Return to “General Discussion Forum”