RGP Solutions

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

jayboi2005
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

RGP Solutions

Postby jayboi2005 » Sun 07 May 2006 8:10 pm

Hello can i ask where you all buy your solutions, pref the cheapest and also which do you buy. I would like an all in one!

Val G
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Val G » Sun 07 May 2006 9:12 pm

Jay

I have used Asda's solutions for my RPGs for a number of years. They seem as good as any and are quite a bit cheaper.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Mon 08 May 2006 7:28 am

I can only tolerate one type of solution and the only high street place that stocks them is Boots.

To save money I buy in bulk from these people Post Optics

See what solutions come with your lenses and how you get on with them. Mine came with a 1 month supply to get me started.

Regards

Gareth
Gareth

Eddie S
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Eddie S » Mon 08 May 2006 9:18 am

I would second that. I have used postoptics for a while now and found them to be very efficient.

I've ordered both soft and RGP solutions from them in the past and always been able to find what I needed from them.

Make sure you give them the correct details for your optician/hospital as they check these details out before they send anything to you.
Eddie
Somebody complimented me on my driving yesterday - they left a note on my windscreen "Parking Fine" which was nice.
KC managed with softperm lens in left eye, Intacs (2/11/07) in right eye

jayboi2005
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby jayboi2005 » Mon 08 May 2006 12:42 pm

Hmmm still not too sure what solution i can buy. What kind do i need can i just buy any, brand wise i presume i can buy any. However types there must be a type i need to buy? :)

Sweet
Committee
Committee

Postby Sweet » Mon 08 May 2006 1:54 pm

I would agree with trying the solutions you get with your lens and go from there. I tend to change mine quite regularly depending on my mood and on any special offers going! If you collect store points, such as Tesco Boots etc then that is an advantage! Although i have used Post Optics myself, but more for eyedrops than solutions. Buying solutions online you need to add your optometrists details.

It depends on how you want to clean your lenses? Do you want a separate cleaner where you put a drop on your lens and clean it on your palm with a finger before rinsing it and placing it in the case with a conditioning solution, or do you want one where you put your lens in a case with solution and it cleans itself?

It is all down to personal choice and optometrists differ on this as well. I used to use an all in one cleaner where a little disc at the bottom of the case reacts with the solution and cleans your lens, but found that my lens wasn't as clean as manually cleaning it myself. However my twin sister swears by it and doesn't want to run the risk of breaking a lens, although with practice this is hardly a problem! Even totally drunk i can still manage to clean my lens though i can hardly stand up straight!! LOL!! This is NOT a reason to drink to excess though!! :wink: :oops: LMAO!!!!!

See what solution you are given to start off with and take it from there. Everytime i get a new lens i'm given some little bottles to try which are dam handy! Just make sure that any cleaner you buy is the right one for your lens. Every cleaner will say on it whether you can use if for RGPs or soft lenses etc. I am very lucky in that i can use any solution and not get a reaction to it, but have read that some here do. So really it is trial and error!

Wishing you the best! Sweet X x X
Sweet X x X

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Mon 08 May 2006 3:33 pm

The hospital will probably give you a bottle of saline and the starter pack will contain a cleaning solution specifically for RGP lenses and a rinse/conditioning solution.

Some optoms recomend protein removers, others say it is not necessary.

PLEASE wait until you see your optom and seek there advice/recomendations first.

The solutions you get will say what type of lenses ther are to be used for.

In another post you say you do not know what type of lens it is, but it is a new one on the market, so recomended a solution without knowing if it is soft or RGP recomendations are essentially useless.

This new lens you are getting may well require something completely different so it essential to take the advice fromt he optom.

If the likes of post optics have the solutions in stock they will be with you in a couple of days any way. Therefore absolutly no need to rush.
Gareth

cherishu2
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby cherishu2 » Mon 08 May 2006 4:48 pm

I can only tolerate oxysept. But found they made it for tescos own brand. So it cheaper and exactly same ingredients

Val G
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Val G » Mon 08 May 2006 5:45 pm

Jay

The last meeting of the West Midlands group had a presentation by the consultant optometrist there, Jacqui Lamb. She gave lots of advice on caring for and tolerating RPGs. Someone on the forum might have a copy of the presentation, which you may find useful. It was stressed that a separate daily cleaning solution was usually more effective and I have found this to be true in my experience.

cherishu2

I didn't realise that Tesco did their own brand of solutions. I've just added some to my grocery home delivery. Daily cleaner 1.84, wow, so cheap. Hope it's ok for me, thanks for the tip!

David Bennett
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby David Bennett » Tue 09 May 2006 3:23 pm

Dear All,

A plea from the Optometrists here on the forum.

Please please please dont change brands willy nilly!!

we don't like dealing with epithelial cell loss (epitheliopathy) becasue you happen to be allergic to Specsavers/tesco/sainsbury/asda/ own brand solutions.

In the profession we work quite hard you know at keeping allergic/intolerances to a mimimum!!!
only to be thwarted by people changing brands all the time. It drives me nuts in my practice. I don't care what or even where you but the solutons just Let the guy who deals with your cl's know as at your next visit SHOW him/her the solutions. Easy -yeah?

OK!!! rant over, hobby horse dismounted..

Phew, that's better!

David
:lol:
David Bennett Bsc(Hons) MCOptom
The Courtyard
28 The ropewalk
Nottingham NG1 5DW
T: 0115 947 6309
F: 0115 958 6971

Return to “General Discussion Forum”