Back with RGP'S

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

jayboi2005
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Back with RGP'S

Postby jayboi2005 » Sat 06 May 2006 5:00 pm

Hello all,
i have been away from here for some time now you may have noticed.

I just wanted to tell you all that i have found an optician who is KC friendly, who is basically a KC expert.

As some of you know i used to be at Specsavers and really was not happy. They supplied me with 3 different RGP's all of which caused pain when wearing them and i have to say that non of all 3 pairs improved my vision they just distorted it more. So today i seen this optician that i found, he was VERY GOOD! No more looking at the Air Bloon like at Specsavers. He has this machine that was like a light tunnel, and created the number readings like SS but also provided him with a picture like a weather map with all the colours so i was impressed with that. As i knew what the colours ment so i was able to understand it all. So then he put these contact lenses in my eye, i nearly died with shock! When he said here you go lets just pop these in. He explained as he deals with people like me this was standard. :D anyway when he did that and added a lenses in front as well i could see with both eyes very clearly. I also have to add that i didn't even feel that the lenses were in! If i couldn't see better i would have said he didn't put them in! So as you can guess im happy, and i will have my lenses by Thursday.
----------------------
Details of the optician

The Toleman Ophthalmic Practice
The Health Centre
London Rd
Holmes Chapel
Crewe
Cheshire
CW4 7BB
Tel: 01477 537587

asylumxl
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Postby asylumxl » Sat 06 May 2006 6:32 pm

my optometrist has the same equipment. im glad u found a good one and that now maybe your vision will improve more.

im waiting for my new lenses to come also :D

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Sat 06 May 2006 7:17 pm

What your optom has is a topography machine and that can give valuble surface information to a lens fitter that looking at they eye alone can be hard to distinguish.

This would allow the optom to know what shape of back surface to go for on the lans that would help. As far as I know when the prescription is sent to the lens manufacturer they add your reading to their database to help further develop lenses and also to make a prediction chart on what lens may fit best.

Good to hear you can see fine again, don't go over wearing the lenses and cause yourself further problems :wink:
Gareth

John Smith
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Sun 07 May 2006 12:27 am

Hi Jay,

I'm so glad that you followed the forum's advice and found a better optician... now you know what we were all telling you! :lol:

Thanks for your posting. It really does give hope to people who may have been in your situation in the past.

Could you add the details of your new optician to the recommend optom's page in the member's area of the main site?

All the best,
John

Sweet
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Sweet » Sun 07 May 2006 1:01 am

Hey there! Lovely to hear some good news from you, i had wondered where you had gone! LOL!!

Hoping that the lenses arrive soon and that you get on well with them! Best of luck with everything!:lol:

Sweet X x X
Sweet X x X

Michael P
Champion
Champion

Postby Michael P » Sun 07 May 2006 9:22 am

Great news.
Thank goodness for this forum.
I think it is a sad state of affairs that immediate proper help is not always available to KC sufferers.
I know not everyone is happy with Moorfields, but I have never had a problem and from all the stories I have read, I consider myself fortunate to have been under their care for the past 30+ years.
Surely we should all be entitled to at least receive competent help upon diagnosis.

Alison Fisher
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Alison Fisher » Sun 07 May 2006 12:45 pm

That's great news. :D

I bet Thursday can't come quick enough. :wink:
grafts in 1992 and 1996

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 07 May 2006 2:34 pm

Jay

Great news! Just out of interest, when you get your RGP's, could youlet us know what sort they are?

I am delighted to know that things are moving forward for you.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

jayboi2005
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby jayboi2005 » Sun 07 May 2006 5:01 pm

I cannot remember what sort he said, it wasnt toric or anything like that it was a funny name not even one i had heard on here before he said they are new or something i remember that much. I was so fasinated with looking at that colour map of my eye i didnt really listne to much about what he said.

Yes John will do.

Nope Alison Thursday can't come quick enough!

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Wed 10 May 2006 4:43 pm

I agree...whilst there was some frustration from people here (me) in helping and making you understand the issue..its really good to here that you took the advice and changed optician!..

Let us know what lenses you have!

J
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Return to “General Discussion Forum”