Eye Appoint was today (Angry)

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

jayboi2005
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Eye Appoint was today (Angry)

Postby jayboi2005 » Thu 20 Apr 2006 4:30 pm

Well im very angry with the NHS. Maybe i am expecting too much i dont know. But i am not happy.

I was looking forward to going as most of you know, when got there i had an eye test which went ok. Seems my vision isnt as good as i tested it the other day i worked out i got 6/6 they worked out 6/18 which i wasn’t happy about but that’s hardly their fault. What i was expecting from my appointment was some contact lenses, the exact words were we do not have a contact lenses department here. Which is fine i understand it is a small town hospital i didnt expect one, so i said i will go to Macclesfield, i was told there isn’t one there. So i was like ok i will go to Leighton (CREWE) and she said NOPE there isn’t one there. So i was like what am i suppose to do then? My eye is a dodgy shape high street opticians cant help me much i need some hospital lenses and she did say yes you do need more of a custom lens. She handed me this bit of paper with the name of a private company that does these! So i asked about funding and she looked at my ( :? :roll: :shock: ) she basically said its down to me to pay the cost of these. So i asked price wise and its just over £100 per lens well this is what i was given as a guide so i am not happy. I shouldn’t have wasted my time going. £100 a lenses is ok but my eyes are changing all the time so its no good if im paying this every 3 months it isnt good.

Maye i should speak to someone else, the woman didnt speak much English so i didnt understand the VERY LITTLE BIT that was said.

Anne B
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Anne B » Thu 20 Apr 2006 4:42 pm

Jay

Sorry to hear that it didn't go well today, i know how disappointing that can be.
I'm sure that someone on the forum will be able to help you sort this one out!!

All the best
Anne

Paul Osborne
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Paul Osborne » Thu 20 Apr 2006 5:54 pm

Why oh why couldn't they have told you that they can't do the contacts earlier? Thats madness and a complete waste of your time and theirs.

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Thu 20 Apr 2006 6:07 pm

JB

Got to Manchester Eye Hospital......that wont be too far for you.....(still a short trek! but ne that may be worth it)

Jay
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

jayboi2005
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby jayboi2005 » Thu 20 Apr 2006 7:36 pm

i dont even know why they wanted me to go there, they gave me another appointment for 6 months time but i dont know why.

Sweet
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Sweet » Fri 21 Apr 2006 1:55 am

That all sounds really dam frustrating when they can't give you any lenses and the ones they are teling you about are so dam expensive!

Did she say exactly where everyone else goes who needs these lenses as i'm sure you aren't the only one?

Maybe trying to find someone who speaks more english would be a great start. Wishing you all the best, Sweet X x X
Sweet X x X

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 21 Apr 2006 9:21 am

The six month appointment will probably become a permanent feature: the surgeons will review your situation to advise on the right time for surgery (if that time ever arrives).

Do not be alarmed by the variation in your reading. As I said earlier KC patients do have widely varying readings, even across quite short periods of time.

I agree with Jayuk. I'd head for Manchester.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

jayboi2005
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby jayboi2005 » Fri 21 Apr 2006 12:53 pm

Reaing all she did was look at the back of my eyes and said yes you have KC. The optician did more, im shocked that she couldnt tell me much. I seemed to know more than her. When i asked about C3R she said the medical profession doesnt think this is a good idea, i said why and then it was BYE she wouldnt say any more.

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Fri 21 Apr 2006 1:07 pm

The Medical Profession doesnt think its a good idea?...What did she say as soon as you asked Why?
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -

(C) Copyright 2005 KP

jayboi2005
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby jayboi2005 » Fri 21 Apr 2006 4:26 pm

she said the same again The Medical Profession doesnt think its a good idea. Thats why i was shocked, i thought if they think its not a good idea there must be some justification. Im really not happy with the doctor.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”