Just recently had a corneal transplant.

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

hunter74
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Just recently had a corneal transplant.

Postby hunter74 » Wed 11 Dec 2013 6:27 pm

Hi,

I just recently had a corneal transplant on my left eye and this is the first tough experience i am dealing with as i rely on them since birth for lip reading because i wear 2 hearing aids. I found it frustrated and struggle to cope. I have also got the same problem in my right eye which soon or later will be having it done as well. At the moment just wanted to know what experiences and challenged that i could face now and in the future. I didnt realise how much the pain is till after the operation even though i been up all night taking pain killer the pain was extreme.

I aprrieciate any help or support i can get.

Looking forward to your reply.

Daniel Clark

GrandPaClanger
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Just recently had a corneal transplant.

Postby GrandPaClanger » Wed 11 Dec 2013 6:58 pm

Hi Daniel

Welcome to the forum How recent is recent ? When I had my graft it was uncomfortable for 24 hours or so rather than painful. Your eye has had major trauma so it will take time. When are you due to go back to the hospital ?

Ian

hunter74

Postby hunter74 » Wed 11 Dec 2013 7:31 pm

i had my operation about 2 weeks ago, could not sleep after that i was up all night with the nurse and they giving me pain killer but it was not enough to ease the pain and for me to have a good sleep.

i been back for reassess last monday and i got to go in there this friday. i am using tobradex 4 time a day and i run out of Prox 0.5 or 5.0 which i need if the pain is extreme even though i am taking 2 burophen tablet instead of 1.

GrandPaClanger

Postby GrandPaClanger » Wed 11 Dec 2013 8:37 pm

Umm I would certainly be pushing for an explanation on that one. I had to have some cuts In the cornea after the graft to ease the astigmatism. It was way more painful than the graft but was a lot better after 24 hours to the point I was coming off the pain killers. Upto you with your appointment on Friday being so close but I would be thinking about eye casualty. Certainly in the future if it happens get straight down there. I would also say if your vision has got worse ( difficult to tell so soon after I know) or if the redness has altered/returned get down there. Make sure they check the pressure and
don't be fobbed off.

Are the drops you are on in bottles or single dose capsules. If bottles it may be the preservatives in them. Push for single dose ones that are preservative free.

Ian

hunter74

Postby hunter74 » Thu 12 Dec 2013 2:51 am

My vision had been the same in my left eye since the operation just blurred. It in the bottles but the one i got from the hospital was given to me by the surgeon are the prox 0.6 and as soo as i put it on the pain ease dramatically. I worn glasses before but just dont seem to improve with them and so far he had not refer me to the optician yet. As the other lady said i only had the operations 2 weeks ago so and it still early yet. Even though i eventually have to have the other eye done as well feeling abit awkward about that because i will struggle being deaf in both ear without my hearing aid. I see how it go on friday and when i get back from the hospital i give you a update from then.

I remember he said the second visit this friday will be he going to touch the stiches and move it to make sure it still in one place and not seperate.

I let you know the outcome friday.

All i wanna do is for both of my eyes to be better and see again and then i can get myself back to work. Dont like being in this situation for long as i am sure it stressfull even though peoples said i just complaining , it nothing just a small pain. They dont even realise unless they had it done.

GrandPaClanger

Postby GrandPaClanger » Sun 15 Dec 2013 1:28 pm

How did you get on ?

hunter74

Postby hunter74 » Sun 15 Dec 2013 7:08 pm

Appointment had to change for tomorrow morning before 11:30am

Then i be able to let u know what happen.

Thanks

Return to “General Discussion Forum”