KC and drugs

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

DJ Smak
Contributor
Contributor

KC and drugs

Postby DJ Smak » Wed 19 Apr 2006 4:30 am

I mean prescription drugs, specifically a driug called accutane used to treat acne. I was on that drug when i was 15. It has effects on ones vision, it is a high dose Vitamin A type drug and I did a search on it and KC and i have found some interesting reads. I haven't found anything which suggest a direct link between the 2 but the 2 often show up together in google searches, mostly for lasik surgery and how its not performed on people taking it but it also shows up as a possible side effect. I'm wondering if anyone here has also been on this drug, i dunno if its called the same in the UK or even if its prescribed but im curious. This drug is nasty, it works well for what its supposed to do but the side effects are bad ,it dries your skin out severly, it changes vision etc.

Unlikely side effects:
Activation of herpes simplex virus
Keratoconus
Corneal vascularization
Limbal infiltrates
Exophthalmos
Pupil abnormalities
Glaucoma
Vitreous disturbanc

I just feel that this drug, since it has such an effect on the eyes, such as drying hem out etc, should be looked at deeper as a possible prelude to KC and its counterparts. Accutane affects corena healing and people who have allergies are prone to rub their eyes quite a bit and therefore it could be that when taking this medication, while rubbing the eyes, it could damage them and taking the medication would therefore prevent your corneas friom healing properly. I know this is way out there but its interesting. I know I'm no doctor and have no medicalknowledge but ya never know, some day there could be a link between the 2.

jayboi2005
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby jayboi2005 » Wed 19 Apr 2006 7:25 am

roaccutane
works wonders, but is a nasty drug! I have taken this yes for 5 days that was enough. After reading the side affects i put them in the bin. Im not sure if they have any affect on KC not something i have ever heard before. However from my experience drugs only make me worse anyway so im not sure. I will be sure to ask my eye consultant tomorrow when i go to see him.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 19 Apr 2006 8:50 am

The generic name for tha active ingredient of Accutane and Roaccutane is Isotretinoin.

They advise against taking any other Vitimin A supplement while on Isotretinoin and women are advised against the use of the "mini pill" during a course of Isotretinoin. There is also an impact on mental health, and women on Isotretinoin are to0ld that it is extrememly important that they do not become pregnant until atl least a month after stopping the use if Isotretinoin.

Other effects listed are dryiness of skin, lips, nasal passage, eyes. mouth, throat, etc.

I'd say that if your doc wants to prescribve this, you ought to remind her or him that you have Keratoconus and ask if (s)he really thinks that it is safe for you to take.

Andew
Andrew MacLean

DJ Smak
Contributor
Contributor

Postby DJ Smak » Wed 19 Apr 2006 5:32 pm

Among the many side effects Accutane use has been associated with are hearing and vision problems. Accutane users have suffered hearing impairment which can persist even after stopping usage. Accutane users have also been known to develop decreased night vision, corneal opacities and other serious eye problems.

http://www.fightingforyou.com/hearing-a ... -97-3.html

They just never say what the other serious eye problems are so it leads me to suspect that KC or PMD could be one of the eye problems it causes. I wish i never took the drug as it could be one reason why my eyes are messed up.

Sweet
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Sweet » Wed 19 Apr 2006 5:55 pm

Yes i have heard that this is a very strong drug to take which messes up with many others, including heart and blood pressure medications. It needs to be controlled carefully and i would gather that you would need regular eye tests as well.

Hoping that this didn't affect your vision, Sweet X x X
Sweet X x X

jayboi2005
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby jayboi2005 » Wed 19 Apr 2006 7:25 pm

Its not an easy drug to get hold of, or at least it shouldnt be. In the UK it is not easy to get. Due to the seriouse side affects it CAN cause.

Asif
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Asif » Mon 24 Apr 2006 8:10 am

I was prescribed roaccutane but never took it because of the side effects, though I did take this drug called minocine for about 6 months. I also used isotrenoin gel. But this is the first I've heard of it causing KC

Michael P
Champion
Champion

Postby Michael P » Mon 24 Apr 2006 9:38 am

This is all very interesting. I have been taking Amplodipine tablets for high blood pressure for the past 18 months.

I do feel this roughly coincides with a further deterioration in the sight in both my eyes. Prior to taking the tablets the sight in my left eye had been completely stable.

Am i imagining this or could high blood pressure tablets be the cause. The warning on the instructions suggest every side effect under the sun is possible including death by the very thing the tablets are supposed to avoid. A very sobering thought!

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Mon 24 Apr 2006 9:54 am

Many drug companies list every side effect under the sun. Basically most patient information leaflets ahdve a number you can call for advice and report side effects.

Over a period poeple will report everything. Even when these are in clinical trials, someone gets a headache during the final stages of drug tests, that has to be included. Fact is the person could of been up all night staring at a computer screen playing games. Just not practical to go through all side effects and try an dput them in perspective.

Bottom line is, in most cases the patients experience no side effects.

Where KC is concenred, the drug is unlikely to be a cause of the condition but may agrevate it.

As Mr Tuft pointed out at the AGM the cologen linking in the cornea in KC slides over each other when they should not.

Think of these as continental plates rubbing against each other and there is an element of friction which once over come dramatic things happen hence we have sudden sight changes. If the side effects of these medicine cause changes in blood or occular pressure either an increase or a decrease these can cause those cologen part to slide again.

Rather than list every possible sight condition that may be affected, the side effect will just record sight changes may occur.
Gareth

Michael P
Champion
Champion

Postby Michael P » Mon 24 Apr 2006 11:02 am

Thanks for that Gareth.

I remember the consultant saying that these tablets had the fewest side effects.

Quite apart from KC ,visual disturbance is listed as one and no doubt the other blood pressure tablets will say likewise.

I don't think it will do any harm to raise the question with my optometrist &/or GP although I suspect I already have the answer -unlikely to be the cause of deterioration.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”