Quicktopic posts: Feb 2004

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

umbilica@umbilical.demon.

Postby umbilica@umbilical.demon. » Sun 01 Feb 2004 3:36 pm

Andrew was talking abou misuse of names and titles:

I think the trouble is there are still far too many people
around, even in this day and age who think that all women
*ought* to be a) heterosexual b) paired up with a man and c)
using his name not their own, and that we *ought* to feel
flattered if they make these assumptions and address us as if by someone else's name.

Well, if there *are* women do have made these decisions, for
whatever reason, that's up to them. But this is 2004, for
heaven's sake!!!!! To assume this about all of us is just plain offensive.

FOr some reason, the NHS seems to have not a few offenders.
when I used to work for them, the women (yup!) in the registry
used to put all incoming mail addressed "Mrs Johnson" in my
pigeon hole, however often I threw it back at them - and even
ring me when a caller arrived asking for Mrs Johnson - which was singularly stupid as "Mrs Johnson" was a completely different
person working on the other side of the site and no doubt
wondering where her mail kept disappearng!!! And when a letter arrived addressed to "Dr Rosemary F Johnson" they kept it out to one side and a long time later would ask me about it with the
sort of voice that assumed it couldn't be right ... as if they'd never heard of the concept of women having PhDs!!! Grrrrr.

Rosemary

--
Rosemary F. Johnson

StevenB

Postby StevenB » Sun 01 Feb 2004 6:28 pm

The words high and horse spring to mind. I'm not sure I want someone who gets so het up over a typographical error representing my patient group. There are far more important things to worry about Rosemary.

Nikki Carr

Postby Nikki Carr » Tue 03 Feb 2004 2:36 pm

I have had a partial thickness corneal graft 5 days ago now. I did not expect thelevel of pain and visibility problems I have experienced so far. I have been to the hopspital and thety have chscked the eye and say that there is no problem. Has anyone else experienced this after graft surgery! Nikki
>
< replied-to message removed by QT >

Jane Webb

Postby Jane Webb » Tue 03 Feb 2004 2:50 pm

Nikki

I know exactly how you feel. I was off work for about 7 weeks and the first two weeks were quite painful. The subsequent weeks it was definite 'discomfort' to the degree where I could only sit in a dark room all day.
It does get easier though and I only have some discomfort on the odd day here and there and my graft is now three months young.

Your consultant should have told you though, to bear in mind, if you have any pain at all, go back to the hospital to get it checked out.

Jane Webb
>

Andrew Bosanquet

Postby Andrew Bosanquet » Wed 04 Feb 2004 4:31 am

More good news
An encouragement to those considering scleral lenses. I received mine just before Christmas and now am wearing them for 13 hours a day with 20/20 vision or better. This is a great improvement for my left eye which has not been able to tolerate a corneal lens for 18 months. I am now able to drive at night again.
As I was building up the wear, I sometimes took a tablet of the homeopathic remedy Ruta 6. I am told this is good for tired eyes and sometimes is seemed to work almost instantaneously. However, as a scientist I am pretty sceptical and wonder if my eyes would have felt more comfortable anyway!
Just in case of any comments, please read the small print :-)
Health warning: These comments are not suggesting that all KC sufferers should wear sclerals or take Ruta. This is just personal observation.
Disclaimer: The author has no financial or other interest in scleral lens or homeopathic companies.
Have a great day
Andrew

Annie-Marie

Postby Annie-Marie » Wed 04 Feb 2004 11:32 am

I have been wearing contact lenses for more than 30 years and the vision in my left eye is pretty rubbish. I have an appointment in Oxford for a Scleral lens fitting and would be interested to hear from others on their experience of this type of lens?
Is it a magic fix for very poor vision ? Nothing else has been.

umbilica@umbilical.demon.

Postby umbilica@umbilical.demon. » Wed 04 Feb 2004 6:26 pm

Catching up - various replies:

Andrew MacLean said:
To get a name wrong is
either just careless (as it is safe to assume that the correct information was originally given), or just a way in which large organizations let ordinary people know that the organization
feels itself more important than the person.

and someone mentioned "typographical error":

Nope, it wasn't a typo! I've had some emails from them now, and this is what transpired. Moorfields sent out membership
registration forms with no "title" boxes. But they can't
register members without titles on their database. So someone at Moorfields actually consciously and deliberately **chose** to
use "Mrs"!! - in 2004. I hope and trust that my patient
constituency will not be being represented by anyone who finds
this is anything but unacceptable.

NOTE: everyone else who filled in the registration card may like to check their labels too - particularly those with androgynous or unusual names who may have changed sex in the computer, before
they do counts on male/female membership.

Andrew B: great news about the success with the sclerals! Long
may it last.

Annie-Marie: good luck with your sclerals appointment. Some of
us find we get much better vision with sclerals. Many people
have found that sclerals are more comfortable to wear that the
corneal lenses, particularly if they have very conical corneas
on which its harder to fit the corneal lenses - and sometimes
this makes for better vision itself. Hope it works out for you.

Personally, I've always worn sclerals rather than any other sort of lens. The vision with them is not so good as it used to be,
but no doubt better than other means (someone at Moorfields once tried me with a corneal lens for about 30 seconds - it hurt so
much my eyes was imeediately streaming and I couldn't see a
thing out of it!)

To the person who asked about someone's KC improving:

What exactly did it mean by the KC "improving"? - that they were coping better with their vision day-to-day, or that they could
read more letters on the chart, or that the shape of their
cornea had got more "rounded", as measured by the special
instruments at the hospital?

it would be quite possible for someone to be coping better, and
even able to read more letters, just because their brain had got more used to living with their vision and had "learned" to
process better the signals coming down the optic nerves and make more sense out of them.

Rosemary

--
Rosemary F. Johnson

Postby Guest » Wed 04 Feb 2004 6:26 pm

I will not be accessing my email until 09/02/04, for urgent matters please contact the service centre on 0800 154 234 Regards, Aimee.

Mark Bennister

Postby Mark Bennister » Fri 06 Feb 2004 4:52 am

To all users of Boston wetting solution. I moved from RGPs to sclerals over a year ago and have just found my stash of wetting solution. The use by date is fast approaching on these and I no longer need them and do not want to throw them away. Anyone wanting 6 bottles of Boston wetting solution (all unopened) email me at mark.bennister@virgin.net. First person to email me gets the lot - no charge, just send me your address and I'll mail them.

Rosie Turner

Postby Rosie Turner » Fri 06 Feb 2004 5:51 am

Dear Annie-Marie
I had a scleral lens fitted for my right eye just before Christmas and it was the best Christmas present I had ever had! I have never really had any useful vision in my right eye since my graft twenty years ago, but now my right eye has become my "good eye" and the world looks so different. I can see well enough to drive again and everything is so colourful, sharp and clear. It is much more comfortable than any other lenses that I have tried over the years. Once you get the technique right, putting it in and taking it out aren't a problem and because its quite big it is easy to clean and handle. I hope it goes well for you too
good luck
Rosie

Return to “General Discussion Forum”