Quicktopic posts: Jan 2004

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

umbilica@umbilical.demon.

Postby umbilica@umbilical.demon. » Sat 17 Jan 2004 5:53 pm

John wrote:

"Digests"

Only daily (etc digests, not a one-by-one email??

I'm currently working on a way of being able to compose an email so that it is posted in the correct topic of the correct forum. That's vexing me at the moment, and I'm considering not doing it initially. If this would affect you, please let me know
(john@roundel.net) and I'll reconsider.

Does that mean that those of us who would get the messages by
email couldn't post replies at all?

Rosemary

--
Rosemary F. Johnson

Caroline Dyer

Postby Caroline Dyer » Mon 19 Jan 2004 6:00 am

Sarah Marsh

Viscotears will just help your eye to be less sore dry and itchy. I use liquifilm which is a drop and I find easier. Both available over the counter

Dave in Wales

Postby Dave in Wales » Mon 19 Jan 2004 2:25 pm

Well I've just been issued with some Rose K lenses to try, while waiting for the Slecial lenses, or what ever they are called :) but I'm sure you all know the name

Are these Rose K lenses any good, whats the difference or are they just a makers name for gas permeable

John Smith (Webmaster)

Postby John Smith (Webmaster) » Mon 19 Jan 2004 5:55 pm

Hi Dave,

I think "Rose K" lenses are a special type of RGP lens, designed especially for those of us with KC, and our opticians. I'm sure there'll be some more detailed postings, but in all, I certainly found them better than standard RGPs.

You just have to find an optician who knows about them :)

sajeev

Postby sajeev » Tue 20 Jan 2004 6:44 pm

Hi ALL,
I think like always more money for the group would help the group (I know I am stating the obvious); do you guys know any new ways or ideas to do this ?

My idea (however stupid it may sound) is that the group could sell things like contact lens solutions to KC-ers.

What do pepole think ?

Also what I wanted to know was is anyone on a herbal programme and has it helped with your eye sight ?

Thanks
Keep your head up !
Sajeev

BORG

Postby BORG » Tue 20 Jan 2004 7:45 pm

>
> Hi ALL,
> I think like always more money for the group would help
> the group (I know I am stating the obvious); do you guys know
> any new ways or ideas to do this ?

Stick a Nochex or even better 'Fastpay' account pay button on the site I'm sure ppl wouldn't mind dropping a quid in and that\s a few quid with all of us

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.561 / Virus Database: 353 - Release Date: 13/01/2004

Andrew Bosanquet

Postby Andrew Bosanquet » Wed 21 Jan 2004 5:26 am

> Hi ALL,
> I think like always more money for the group would help the group (I know I am stating the obvious); do you guys know any new ways or ideas to do this ?

A friend of mine was a Pathologist at Moorfields until a couple of years ago. He said that the RNIB has money and not enough good causes to give it to. I would have thought that they would be very interested in supporting us and any work/research on KC.
Has anyone the time and inclination to research this? You would probably need some sort of ‘project’ for them to fund.
Andrew

Mike Oliver

Postby Mike Oliver » Wed 21 Jan 2004 6:18 am

All suggestions for raising funds and how the Group should best apply them are very welcome. Unfortunately the sale of solutions is almost certainly a non starter. We would need to avoid the inference that we were in any way endorsing or recommending the particular products. I would not like to discourage anyone with ideas for fundraising and new projects - so why not submit these for discussion (or come along in person) at the Group AGM on 13th March. Those already on the postal mailing list will have details in the latest newsletter shortly to go out. If details do not appear on the main site they should shortly.We have secured limited funding from the RNIB before - as I recall towards our first national conference and maintain a working relationship with them. If anyone wants to e mail me direct on these or other points send to Mikekeratoconus@aol.com

sajeev

Postby sajeev » Wed 21 Jan 2004 10:22 am

Hello Everyone,
How about creating more awarness using the media. For example having interviews, making more noises about the finacial problems we are faced with, educating people about our condition e.c.t

Also, how about approaching the national lottery, TV game shows, famous people to help us as well.

What do you guys think ?
and remember most of the things I have suggested don't cost anything at all to do (to create publicty without the need for expensive advertising)

Thanks all.
Keep your head up !
Sajeev

P.S
Great suggestions have come in already, please keep them comming in.

tracey

Postby tracey » Wed 21 Jan 2004 6:32 pm

i did not know there was a place such as this but iam glad. some times i think i am going mad looking for someone to talk to about my husbands problem most people think it is in his head. that is including a doctor. please keep up the good work.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”