KC friendly optometrists in Leicester area

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Eddie S
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

KC friendly optometrists in Leicester area

Postby Eddie S » Sat 08 Apr 2006 1:08 pm

Hi,

Hello firstly to everyone who helped me a few months back with getting into Scleral lenses just before I went in for a double vision op.

The double vision op went well, I now see a lot more things in stereo rather than double :D but I am still working at the sclerals :shock:

In between then and now myself and the better half have moved from 'down south' up to Leicester to get ourselves on the property ladder but as a consequence I have had to leave Sussex Eye Hospital behind.

Can anyone suggest who I should talk to now I am in Leicester. I guess a referal from my new doctor would be the first step but any suggestions anyone?

Help/Suggestions gratefully accepted :)

In the mean time great weekend everyone.

Eddie
Eddie
Somebody complimented me on my driving yesterday - they left a note on my windscreen "Parking Fine" which was nice.
KC managed with softperm lens in left eye, Intacs (2/11/07) in right eye

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 08 Apr 2006 2:31 pm

Eddie

Not in Leicester, so can't assist with you rimmediate question,. have you tried the "suggested optometrist" section of the members' area?

Meantime, I wish you and your 'better half' settle well in your new home and community.

Yours aye

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Ali Akay
Optometrist
Optometrist
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: I don't have KC

Postby Ali Akay » Sat 08 Apr 2006 6:12 pm

David Austen in Loughborough has very good reputation for fitting KC and other unusual conditions but you may need to go private.Check their website and perhaps have a word with them.Normal NHS route would be to see your GP who would most probably refer you to LRI (Leicester Royal Infirmary)where there's a contact lens clinic but I dont really know much about them. I am pretty sure David Austen does some hospital work but I am afraid I dont know any more.I'd suggest talk to them before seeing your GP. Good luck.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Sat 08 Apr 2006 7:54 pm

Not Leicester, but Rugby is just down the road, Scrivens opticians and ask for Mr Hanby, he dealt with my KC for many years until it got so complex the hospital have to sort me out. I think he is the head optometrist for outpatients St Cross in Rugby

But as far as getting your new GP to refer you that is a good start.
Gareth

Alison Fisher
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Alison Fisher » Sat 08 Apr 2006 9:23 pm

Hi Eddie :D

Welcome to Leicester. :D I've lived here all my life and can't imagine living anywhere else.

I haven't worn contect lenses for fifteen years so I'm a bit out of date on that side of things but three names/places come to mind. Peter Jackson's in Wigston looked after me really well for years. I know one of the opticians from 'my time' is still there but I've no idea if the contact lens chap is (for the life of me I can't remember his name :( but he was great and I had a lot of confidence in him). I was also fitted at one time by David Austen in Loughborough, and another by RJA Maddock on Peacock Lane in Leicester (directly opposite the cathedral) - both are worth contacting and talking to.

All my hospital treatment has been at the Leicester Royal Infirmary. I know at one time they did fit lenses there but I only went once - the eight month waiting list put me off somewhat. :( I've no idea what the arrangements are now (both my eyes are grafted and I now wear glasses), personally I'm still in mourning for the in-hospital branch of D&A but that's a whole other story. :roll:

Hope that's enough to give you a start. I could rattle on for hours about the LRI but I'll be kind to you all and shut up now. :wink:

Eddie S
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Eddie S » Thu 04 May 2006 11:44 am

Thanks guys!

Following on from another visit to the lovely people at Sussex Eye Hospital (everyone should go there, if not for anything but a good laugh!) I have now been referred to see Ken Pullum at Hertford.

He seems to be 'the man to see' so hopefully I'll get some good results from going to see him.
Eddie
Somebody complimented me on my driving yesterday - they left a note on my windscreen "Parking Fine" which was nice.
KC managed with softperm lens in left eye, Intacs (2/11/07) in right eye

Return to “General Discussion Forum”