Quicktopic posts: Dec 2003

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Jan Fisher

Postby Jan Fisher » Fri 26 Dec 2003 7:00 am

To Roger: I know this sounds silly and you have probably already tried to do this, but leave the lenses soaking for a whlle and then they should just slide off each other. I have done it many times, usually when I have taken my lenses out after having a little too much to drink. Good luck Jan

Postby Guest » Fri 26 Dec 2003 7:01 am

I will not be accessing my email until 05/01/04, for urgent matters please contact the service centre on 0800 154 234 Regards, Aimee.

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 26 Dec 2003 2:30 pm

Dear Rodger

I agree with Jan's solution to your problem. I guess this is the sort of thing we've all done from time to time.

If you have any protein remover tablets, soaking your "doubled" lenses in a solution should get through the material and release the slight vacuum that will have formed between the lenses. After an hour or two (or even overnight if possible) you should be able to hold the doubled lenses between your thumb and forefinger and simply slide them apart.
Every good wish.

Andrew

umbilica@umbilical.demon.

Postby umbilica@umbilical.demon. » Fri 26 Dec 2003 2:51 pm

Jan said:
I too have used fairy liquid in the past to clean my lenses and found it great. You jsut have to make sure it is all off your
lens before inserting it into the eye or it makes you yelp. I was told when I got my gas perm lenses that I could not use it
any more, is this right?

No - it's fine for RGP material. That's what I've got.

Note: to anyone reading this and worrying: we're talking of
*hard* lenses here. Don't try using washin gup liquid on soft
(hydrophilic) lenses. Hard ones - PMMA or RGP - only. Or
glass, I suppose, thoughI don't know if anyone still have those!

The difference is that I think new rules stop the
"professionals" from recommending it as a formal recommendation
(because it is not a "medical" product, maybe, but I'm not clear about the details of the reason). I suspect that if you take
them down the pub after a group meeting, or similar, they will
tell you over a beer or two that it's still perfectly OK, but
they just aren't allowed to tell you that any more. Moorfields
know I'm still using it and aren't telling me to stop - and yes, it was Moorfields who told me that was OK in the first place.

Finally, does anyone have any suggestions on how to explain KC
to a five year old. My daugter is having great difficulty
understanding why mummy can see some days and not others. I
have tried to get literature from the RNIB but they can not
suggest anyting. If anyone out there has any suggestions I
would love to hear them.

I presume you've tried the easy approaches like "Mummy's eyes
find looking at things very hard work, and sometimes they just
get too tired and need a rest"? Where is the sticking point? -
it sounds like you could have a bright 5 year old if she is
incessantly asking "why?" (or "why not?") and isn't satisfied
with the answer "they just do". Good luck with it.

Rosemary

--
Rosemary F. Johnson

KateF

Postby KateF » Fri 26 Dec 2003 4:09 pm

to jan fisher
e-mail me on kdfarminer@tiscali.co.uk so I can send direct to you, re talking to your little one
Kate (developmental psychol. and special ed teacher!)

Jamie

Postby Jamie » Fri 26 Dec 2003 8:12 pm

Hi everyone
I was diagnosed with KC on the 24th and I think it is because I rub my eyes around five times a day. I am 21 and I was wondering if anyone could tell me that if I stop rubbing my eyes then is there a chance that the KC will stop growing. And if there are any tips on restricting it and I don't need RGPs at the moment.
thankyou

Jay76

Postby Jay76 » Sat 27 Dec 2003 7:50 am

Jamie

Im afraid noone can ansa that....and if they do there lying!

But its best to reduce the eye rubbing; persoanlly in my whole family NOONE has had KC I am the first.....and the only thing that I did that others didnt was itch my eyes ALOT when I was younger....some days Id have bad hayfever and would rub them so much thed go red and raw......did that cuase my KC?.....who can say!!

But now that you have been diagnosed you have to wait and see how ti goes. Some peoples KC stays light to medium, others advances VERY fast in 12 months!......so its a waiting game.

When I was diagnosed about 7 years back I just wore glasses for around a year; then went to contacts, then soft perms, and now Sclerals.......

J

sajeev

Postby sajeev » Sat 27 Dec 2003 1:01 pm

Deleted by topic administrator 31-12-2003 10:46 PM

Susan Mason

Postby Susan Mason » Sat 27 Dec 2003 1:30 pm

In reply to Jan Fisher 2308 - Back in May 2002 when everything started to progress rather rapidly with my KC my son was also 5 years old. Initially he too was very concerned and asked lots of questions sometimes to the point where I wanted to sceam at him. Due to the fact that the hospital found it impossible to fit me with RGP corneal lenses I ended up having quite a lot of time off work. This initially seemed to make things worse as obviously I was looking at everything on the black side and then one day he asked me "are you going to die?" At that point I realised that I had not been fair to him and that I needed to sit down and talk him through things until he stopped asking the questions. Obviously each child will be diferent and I found that once he felt reassured that my eye condition would not make me die he started to look at things from a more practical point of view (reading bus numbers, getting used to where to look on the TV menu for the time etc). He is now 6 1/2 and knows that if I need to see I have to put in my scleral lenses, he get my saline solution and brings me tissues and when possible he likes to come to the hospital with me as he finds it very amusing when they put the green/yellow dye in my eyes and look at them under an ultra violet light. He tells me I look like a monster, which for some reason he is very proud of.

As I said each child is different and you will know your own child best. My mum who is from a different generation feels that I have told him too much and that it is a burden for him however, how do you explain why you can't see him on the stage at christmas when he is waving frantically at you? Surely it is best to be as honest as possible?

Jay76

Postby Jay76 » Sat 27 Dec 2003 3:12 pm

Deleted by topic administrator 31-12-2003 10:46 PM

Return to “General Discussion Forum”