Quicktopic posts: Dec 2003

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 27 Dec 2003 3:57 pm

I entirely agree with susan. My daughter was 4 and my son was 3 when I started with KC. They watched me put in my RGP lenses (my daughter made a picture of her dad, and for my eyes she pasted on some gold sequins; the closest thing she could find to my lenses!)

They knew that without my lenses I could not see them. Actually they became quite good at using this to their advantage, as to hide all they had to do was stay perfectly still when I had no lenses in.

They knew that my eyes didn't work properly, and I even drew pictures for them showing how my "little windows" were going out of shape. They would look through milk bottles and marbles and see how the shape of the glass altered the picture they could see.

They knew that when things got very bad the clever doctors would take away my "little windows" and give me some new ones from a dead person. From a very young age they both insisted on carrying donor cards.
The best policy is always to be as honest as possible. Tell the child, because if you don't the child will fill the vacuum with what he or she can figure out or make up for him or herself.

All the best

Andrew

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 28 Dec 2003 5:23 am

Deleted by topic administrator 31-12-2003 10:46 PM

Jay76

Postby Jay76 » Sun 28 Dec 2003 8:01 am

Jane Webb

Postby Jane Webb » Sun 28 Dec 2003 10:28 am

Jamie

I too thought that my KC was caused by my excessive eye rubbing but on my first consultation, I was told that KC is common among those who suffer from asthma, eczema, hayfever and...wait for it....people with v. long eyelashes!!

Has anyone else been told this?

Jane Webb

>
< replied-to message removed by QT >

John Smith

Postby John Smith » Mon 29 Dec 2003 3:50 am

steven

Postby steven » Mon 29 Dec 2003 12:15 pm

I fail to understand how “fairy liquid” became such a controversy topic.

For years, once a week, I soaked my sceral lens with plain bleach, instead of protein removal tablets- following my contact lens fitter and manufacturer instructions. Subsequently I cleaned them in fairy liquid, then with Boston cleaner, and finally soaked them in Boston solution before wearing them.

sajeev

Postby sajeev » Mon 29 Dec 2003 1:36 pm

mg

Postby mg » Mon 29 Dec 2003 8:46 pm

Recently got RGP contacts for my keratoconus and I seem to be having problems inserting the contacts on the centre of the eye - the contact goes to the top of the eye. I know i am not supposed to touch the lenses with my fingers - is there a special technique for moving them in place. Can i close my eyes and use my eyelids to drag the lenses in place?

David N

Postby David N » Tue 30 Dec 2003 6:31 am

>>Does anybody had success with piggy back or soft perm? I don't really care the cost if it works very well in terms of wearing time, comfort, and visual acuity. I am wearing RGP, but it is absolutely intolerable and uncomfortable.... I cannot wear it more than 2 hours. I absolutely hate it.

Azusa
I have been using Piggy back lenses for the last 18months and have found them really comfortable most of the time. It certainly took a lot of trial and error in the beginning to get the right combination of soft and RGP lenses. My lens fitter was great and very patient initially I was visiting every week and in many cases changing at least one lens a visit, I have been stable for the last 4 months which is great with wear times upto 16 hours a day although I have learnt not to do this too often. If you want to talk offline please email me direct at dn@hantscare.com
David

Phil Davis

Postby Phil Davis » Tue 30 Dec 2003 10:54 am

I owe a debt of gratitude to Richard Gibbens, Jan Fisher and Andrew MacLean on your postings about the missing contact lens. About 2 weeks ago, I lost a lens when taking it out very late one Saturday night, I was trying very hard not to disturb my wife, who was already asleep, so I was removing the lenses in semi darkness and the right one just disappeared. In looking for it, woke up the entire household at 2am in the morning. Even with halogen lamps the lens refused to reveal itself. I decided to wait for daylight to find it. The Sunday morning search proved no more successful, even using the vacuum cleaner with my wife’s tights over the hose. After an hours search, I decided that it had passed into an alternative universe in a different time continuum.
The next day I ordered another right lens from Moorfields, thankfully, I have 2 sets of lenses so I could carry on. This morning I read your postings and even if it sounded ridiculous, decided to check and can you believe it, just as you described, Richard, one of the lens was a richer blue colour, so following Jan and Andrew’s suggestion I soaked it and it separated.
Now I have been wearing RGPs for 14 years, I broken a few with over zealous cleaning. I have run marathons with them, I regularly play squash and badminton with them in, I have even gone swimming with them, but nothing like this has ever happened before, not even close. So having returned from the alternative universe, we enter the twilight zone, can anyone explain, how for 2 weeks I could wear 2 lens, one inside the other and it not affect my vision? Was that your experience Richard? Now it leaves me with the most original unwanted Christmas present an unused right lens!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”