Quicktopic posts: Oct 2003

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Paul Bines

Postby Paul Bines » Sat 18 Oct 2003 9:13 am

The good news about my condition is that I am now waiting for glasses - my first new pair in over 5 years, and probably the most accurate prescription since my first graft some 10 years ago.
I was, I have to say, wary - the consultant at Southend Hospital recommended the Opthalmic Optician who consults at the hospital, and as it was an independent practise, I was worried about cost - but I needn't have been so concerned! The chap is very friendly and helpful, andthere was no hard sell on particular frames or lens coatings - and he made several helpful suggestions about future options (once the hospital takes the stitches out of the left eye and things settle down again!)
He even told me I could drive - which came as a surprise, as I couldn't before (Yes, I know, it's an old joke, but I couldn't resist!)
I'm just waiting for them to tell me the glasses are ready for collection - special order lenses take longer to get in.
If anyone is interested, I could give details of the optician (they are in the Southend/Basildon area) - I don't know what he policy is on the mailing list for advertising!
Au Rees.,
Paul
http://www.efbenson.co.uk/
http://www.paulbines.co.uk
http://www.convergent-diversity.co.uk/

Brian Taylor

Postby Brian Taylor » Sat 18 Oct 2003 1:11 pm

Debbie

Position lights behind his head when he reads or watches TV, I
understand how he feels.

Brian

< replied-to message removed by QT >

Debbie

Postby Debbie » Sat 18 Oct 2003 4:41 pm

Brian thanks for your reply we have tried this but still no good as any lights on in the room seams to hurt his eyes as he does not like to wear his dark glasses in doors .

umbilica@umbilical.demon.

Postby umbilica@umbilical.demon. » Sun 19 Oct 2003 10:32 am

Oh Debbie, that sounds really rotten! I've had 4 hydrops, so I
do know they can be scary, worrying and sore. But not as bad as your son.

Can only really say "good luck" and "hang in there" to him - and you.

As regards the lights - is it possible for you to get a dimmer
switch fitted, instead of an on/off switch? - so you can have
the light on very low, rather than not on at all. Also, one of
the problems with KC is that not only do we tend to be very
light-sensitive, but we adjust slowly (driving through the
Mersey Tunnel on a sunny day, back when I was a sixth former and learning to drive, was an, ah, interesting experience). So it
might be that he could tolerate a higher level of light than you or he thinks if you can put it on very low at the bottom of the
dimmer switch and wind it up little by little on the dimmer.
And I mean slowly - give it a few minutes between each budge.

Note: shades (sunglasses) will not help with sudden changes in
light level. The contrast between "before" and "after" is just
as great. If anything, because the shades make it even darker
"before", the eye pupils will get wider peering into the dark,
and then the sudden bright light will hurt all the more.

Rosemary

--
Rosemary F. Johnson

Debbie

Postby Debbie » Sun 19 Oct 2003 5:35 pm

Rosemary thank you we will try the dimmer hope it works thanks again debbie

Rosie

Postby Rosie » Mon 20 Oct 2003 7:50 am

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of any information I can give my Directors at work and HR department as to how my condition (Keratoconus) can effect my work life. I would like to explain how things such as glare and the long periods of time I spend at a VDU can effect me and the neccessary nature of eye hospital appointments etc. Work are currently being supportive, allowing me time off for lengthy consultations, but understand very little about the condition and I get the distinct impression they think I am merely eeking out visits to the 'optitions'.

Thanking in advance!

Rosie

Anne K

Postby Anne K » Mon 20 Oct 2003 5:06 pm

Rosie - there will be info in a few months time when we produce our booklet on the 2nd KC conference held earlier this year (see the main website), and we also plan to produce a leaflet for employers similar to one we produced this year for teachers and tutors. If that is too long to wait, do e-mail me direct (anneklepacz@aol.com) and I may be able to provide you with some rough drafts of some of this information. Anne

Rosie

Postby Rosie » Tue 21 Oct 2003 3:45 am

Thanks Anne, If you don't mind I shall email you.

Rosie

KateF

Postby KateF » Tue 21 Oct 2003 3:31 pm

Rosie -
what about directing your directors to this website ?
Ive learned most of what I know about KC through the discussion page - even one day's postings give you a picture of the enormity of the problem, and the strength of the people dealing with it.
KateF

KateF

Postby KateF » Tue 21 Oct 2003 3:32 pm

To Adam Rhodes who asked if sclerals have improved-
dont know if they have improved, but i do know that insertion seems impossible then gradually becomes OK and is then well wotrth it.
Persevere, they make such a difference
KateF

Return to “General Discussion Forum”