What contact lens solutions do you use?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Amarpal
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

What contact lens solutions do you use?

Postby Amarpal » Sun 02 Apr 2006 9:16 pm

I just wanted to know what solutions everyone uses for their RGPs, or any other kinds of lenses. I like to use Bausch and Lomb solutions, but I have started using Asda's own make conditioning solutions, cleaning solution and their saline solution too. It seems to work just as well as Bausch & Lomb for me, and its a heck of a lot cheaper!

What does everyone use?

(I dont know if there has been a topic on this before, had a look but couldnt find anything!)
Amarpal

Val G
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Val G » Sun 02 Apr 2006 10:28 pm

I've used Asda all in one and daily cleaner solution for years. It is loads cheaper and I've found it really good. The cleaner seems to have changed from a clear fluid to a white fluid recently but it still works fine for me.

Amarpal
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Amarpal » Sun 02 Apr 2006 10:32 pm

Yeh, do you still get Asda all in one? I used to usethat, but now they have replaced it (in the stores in my area anyway) with what they call hard lens conditioner. Its annoying because the all in one solution used to be in good sized bottles that lasted a while, the new one is kept in smaller bottles.
Amarpal

Knight
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Knight » Mon 03 Apr 2006 1:15 am

I use saliva and skin-oily hands to clean and lubricate my lenses :twisted:

Nah, just joking, I use Boston Advanced All in One because it cuts down on the time with the usual seperate cleaner and conditioner, there's no chance of me mixing it up with the cleaner solution when it comes to putting the lens in my eye which I did once and hurt so bad, it also doesn't have that odd bleach smell that the Boston Cleaner has and more importantly I have been able to get it on prescription after complaining for months, so that's what they opted to give me since as a combo it's cheaper!
Only those with KC know the hidden beauty of a Christmas Tree.

Asif
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Asif » Mon 03 Apr 2006 6:02 am

I use Boston Advance or Boots conditioner & cleaner. Either one of them are good but boston advance has a protein remover. But may also try out the all in one, see how they go.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 03 Apr 2006 6:35 am

I used bausche and lomb for cleaning

I found their wetting fluid too viscose, so I used Allergan Total for soaking and wetting.

I used Tesco protein remover tablets.

One problem that I had was that my natural tears were quite viscose and I tend not to complete a blink. So I had to make a point of consciously closing my eye a couple of times between ordinary blinks, otherwise a film of sticky tear formed on my lens.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Mon 03 Apr 2006 7:31 am

I'm on the Boston stuff, tried other named brands and supermarket stuff and they irritate like hell.

The only one that comes close is Boots own and even that causes discomfort, but is OK for emergeny usage.
Gareth

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Mon 03 Apr 2006 10:49 am

I used Boston Advanced Conditioning and Cleaner (separate).
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

chrism
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby chrism » Mon 03 Apr 2006 1:40 pm

Its kind of annoying since I use 3 lenses. I have a Softperm in my right eye and a piggy back system in my left (Acuvue Advance 14-day soft lens with a Dyna Intra-Limbal RGP on top).

So I have quite a mix of lens types. One RGP, one soft, one hybrid. :)

For the soft lens and Softperm, I use Ciba Vision Clear Care (hydrogen-peroxide based) no rub/all in one. Its very gentle as the solution is neutralized into saline after 4-6 hours with no real perservatives. It can be used with soft AND RGP lenses. The downside is that you have to use the special lens case that comes with the solution.

For my RGP, I use the Boston Simplicity Plus solution.

I just wish they made a 3-lens or 4-lens case for the Clear Care system... it would make my life a little bit easier. :)

Emma_Marie
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Emma_Marie » Mon 03 Apr 2006 4:35 pm

I use Boston Advance Conditioning Soluion and Cleaner. Did start using Spectsavers All in One for a while but got an eye infection so i'm back to the old reliable!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”