Intra Ocular lens

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

vjs05
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Intra Ocular lens

Postby vjs05 » Wed 13 Nov 2013 9:21 am

Hey All

Looking for a bit of advise, im one of those people that think information helps me relax before surgery. Anyway i have had several surgeries on my left eye (post graft, graft done 2006) which has had very little vision since graft. Both surgeries this year have failed (relaxing incisions with tension sutures) and now been told the only option for me is intra ocular lens with my current refraction being fitted.

I had to talk through with my surgeon (who cannot carry out that specific op) and the surgeon that will do the operation but i was so overwhelmed im struggling to remmeber much and cant find a lot of information.

Has anyone had this done or have link to information. Recovery time etc?

Thanks
Vic
Vic Shaw

Currently waiting on second IOL
Grafts in both eyes, IOL and glasses

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Intra Ocular lens

Postby Anne Klepacz » Wed 13 Nov 2013 11:42 am

Hi Vic,
If you put ICL (for intra ocular lens) into the search on this forum, you'll find some posts including some from people who have had this done which should help. And maybe some of them will see your post and reply. Also, one of the surgeons who spoke at our 2009 conference in Glasgow talked a bit about this procedure. I'm afraid we've run out of DVDs of that conference, but if you PM me your contact details I can send you a transcript of that part of his talk.
All the best
Anne

vjs05
Contributor
Contributor

Postby vjs05 » Wed 13 Nov 2013 12:36 pm

Thanks Anne, i have PM you just now :)

Ill have a wee look at the search results too, appreciate your help

Thanks
Vic
Vic Shaw

GrandPaClanger

Postby GrandPaClanger » Thu 14 Nov 2013 4:21 am

My consultant was looking to do this after I developed a cataract as a result of the steroids post graft. The idea being to take the lens out and fit a IOL to dial out the astigmatism on the graft. In the end he felt he could get could get good correction with a standard cataract lens replacement and relaxing incesions plus compression sutures. The operation was done under local and took about 45 minutes I was home by lunch time. Painful afterwards but that was because of the incisions not the lens replacement. I believe with IOL there are a couple of options. Remove your natural lens or leave your lens in place and fit a IOC lens as well kind of internal piggy backing if you like. On the NHS they fit a fixed focal length lens set normally for distance so you will need glasses for reading if they take your lens out.

I had a checkup last Thursday (four month after the op). Unaided a can three lines on the chart. With a contact lens or glasses 20/10 (last from bottom) which is fantatastic.

I wouldn't worry to much about the op it's not that different from a cataract operation. Recovery times are good but it will take a while for the vision to settle. Let us know how you get on.

Ian.

vjs05
Contributor
Contributor

Postby vjs05 » Thu 14 Nov 2013 11:48 am

Thanks for you info, good to hear some personla experience. I have had a call to say they will do surgery on 29th Nov which is fast (especially as NHS) i thought it maybe longer as will hahve to order the IOL. They are planning on leaving natural lens there from what i took from conversation. I have to have the number of cells measured to make sure its safe to go ahead, but woman on waiting list who called yesterday from waiting list (which i only went on last Tues 5th Nov) said she will schedule and will be the date unless test state otherwise.

Its all happening fast.

Anne - Thanks for the email with transcript

Thanks
Vic
Vic Shaw

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Thu 14 Nov 2013 1:26 pm

You're welcome, Vic. All the very best for 29th.
Anne

Return to “General Discussion Forum”