Quicktopic posts: Aug 2003

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

KateF

Postby KateF » Wed 20 Aug 2003 4:46 pm

to Karen
what fun !!
ironic really, the only part of your message that we're allowed to read is the rude word - inside out form of censorship huh?
good entertainment to read something unique!
KF

administrator@axis-law.co

Postby administrator@axis-law.co » Thu 21 Aug 2003 12:18 am

The following message has been rejected by the Firewall System

and found to contain an unacceptable word

<piss> found in line 28, pos 5

----------------------------------- Message ----------------------------------- From: qtopic+6-A46Jzt4sJAXLTWnJNHsx@quicktopic.com
Date: 21 Aug 2003 04:18:00 -0000
To: <karen.gaye@axis-law.co.uk>
Subject: Keratoconus

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

aimee.wilkes@bt.com

Postby aimee.wilkes@bt.com » Thu 21 Aug 2003 3:24 am

Hi everyone,

I have woken up today and my left eye has swollen up a treat ! It looks as though i've had a few rounds with Mike Tyson, i am presuming that it is part of KC and my eczema, does anyone else have this sort of thing happening to them ?

Aimee

< replied-to message removed by QT >

Stoop Hoop

Postby Stoop Hoop » Thu 21 Aug 2003 10:15 am

Hello again to all on the website. Its been three days now since my operation and i am already able to sit and read the forum. Early signs are goin well but it is still quite sore (to be expected when you your cornea replaced). I was somewhat worried about having the operation, but i can tell you its nothing to worry about. The doctors and nurses where extremely kind and helped you remain calm. As for the operation itself i new nothing whatsoever about it. One minute i was int the anethetists room, them a cold rush up the arm and im waking up in the recovery room. Was marvelous. The hard part is the long recovery time. To regain the best sight possible i have been told may take up to two years, but the main improvements shoud be in the first six months to a year. But already i can see out of the operated eye, and the vision is better than when i went in.
Sound like the firewall has gone a little nuts, i recieved a number of e-mails from the administrator too. crazy goings on. Hope that is sorted soo. Thanx to those of you who posted best wishes, as they seem to have paid off. Any questions about the operation, (i no i had many before mine) i will be happy to answer. You can also reach me at Stoop75@aol.com

Paul Trail

Postby Paul Trail » Fri 22 Aug 2003 5:22 am

thankyou all very much for your replies. To stoop, pleased to hear op went well for you and i hope you carry on recovering quickly. Paul

aimee.wilkes@bt.com

Postby aimee.wilkes@bt.com » Fri 22 Aug 2003 5:24 am

I will not be accessing my email until 01/09/03, for urgent matters please contact the service centre on 0800 154 234
Regards, Aimee.

Paul Bines

Postby Paul Bines » Fri 22 Aug 2003 1:44 pm

Well, I unexpecetly had the stitches taken out of my Right Eye graft last Wednesday (unexpectedly because it hadn't been planned, but apparently they were loose so as I was in for a checkup anyway - if I had known in advance, of course, I'd have booked the day off, and so not lost a day's pay!) It seems to be stable - I still have to put Chloramphenicol and
Dexamethasone in there for a ocuple of weeks, but after that, I can start to look at getting glasses (I cannot cope with CL's at all and my eyes are too narrow for Sclerals!)
Another few months and the stitches will be out of the left eye as well.
Au Res.,
Paul
http://www.efbenson.co.uk/
http://www.users.waitrose.com/~paulbines
http://www.convergent-diversity.co.uk/

Stoop Hoop

Postby Stoop Hoop » Sun 24 Aug 2003 10:20 am

Helllo there people.
To Paul Bines, may i ask how long you have had the stitches in your eye for.I recently had the operation on my eye, and now just under a week down the line my eye is relatively pain free with the exception of the roughness felt when blinking from the stitches in the eye. I am on chloramphenicol and pred forte drops four times a day at the moment and was wondering how long i will be taking these at this dosage. i realise that they will eventually be cut down to ust the pred forte once a day but its all ery new to me. Ani information you may have regarding the quality of vision, and your post operation experience would be greatfully appreciated. (you can reach me also at Stoopy75@aol.com)
many thanks. Steven hooper

John Smith

Postby John Smith » Mon 25 Aug 2003 8:18 am

Hi Steven,

Glad to see that you're progressing well after your graft. Certainly there was no way that I could sit in front of a glaring screen for the first couple of weeks post-op, but as is often said round here, "we're all different"!

As for my experience, I was on the antibiotic drops for 4 weeks, and hourly dexamethosone drops (similar to your pred-forte) for 1 week; I then went to 2 hourly for 3 weeks, then I spent a time on 4 a day. I think I was down to 1 drop a day after about 6 months. Three months later, and I had a rejection episode so the drops went back up. They then came back down to 1 per day and I had another episode. Currently on 3 per day, 18 months post-op, and my stitch is still in place (I've got a zig-zag single running stitch).

Bear in mind that I quickly moved to a weaker steroid (FML) which probably gave me less protection; but I'm sensitive to the stronger Dexamethosone - after about 3 months my eye pressure suddenly shot up; so remember to always keep your aftercare appointments.

Best of luck,

John

Paul Bines

Postby Paul Bines » Mon 25 Aug 2003 1:31 pm

Steven,
Sure! No problem!
I had the graft operation on my Rught eye in October of last year, so it's been 10 months or so. The vision was a lot better in my Right after the op, but it's settled down now - I definately need glasses (without I can just about read the first line on the eye chart without pinholes - with pinholes I can get down to about line 3 or 4.)
What my vision will be like eventually I can't tell at present - I have yet to have the stitches removed from my LEFT eye regraft (done in April) - but I'm hopeful that I won't need another graft for a few years!
Au REs.,
Paul
http://www.efbenson.co.uk/
http://www.users.waitrose.com/~paulbines
http://www.convergent-diversity.co.uk/

Return to “General Discussion Forum”