Quicktopic posts: Jul 2003

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Laura (Hlooby@aol.com)

Postby Laura (Hlooby@aol.com) » Wed 23 Jul 2003 4:15 am

Hi, I've not posted a message for while, just a little query for anyone who can help. I got told by a friend that maybe I could claim some money back on my lenses and solutions as a disability claim. Is this true? I find everything to be very expensive, so would it be worth my while to join some sort of a health scheme? My lenses at the moment have somehow become scratched, obviously I'm not careful enough!! But I know I can't afford to fork out £90 to pay for new ones, so I have foggy vision at the mo. If anyone could shed any light on any of these I'd be very grateful. Many Thanx

Karen

Postby Karen » Wed 23 Jul 2003 5:37 am

Can anyone tell me if they have been diagnosed with Keratoconus that they cannot drive and the DVLA will be notified. I have Keratoconus which affects my right eye more than the left and have been told by the Hospital that I am no longer allowed to drive as I do not reach the minimum eyesight required by law - even with contact lenses the hospital have said this will probably be the same.

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Wed 23 Jul 2003 7:00 am

Dear Laura (1864), It is possible to get your solutions (and lenses) on the NHS and pay prescription charges for them. However, I think you have to be being treated at a hospital in order for this to happen. If you are not at the moment, it would probably be worthwhile asking your GP to refer you and then you can try and sort it out. It could take quite a few months' before you get an appointment, though!

I don't know much about health schemes, but I did not think they usually included contacts lenses/solutions. Unless there is one arranged by your optician. Does anyone else know anything about this? SUE

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Wed 23 Jul 2003 7:03 am

Dear Karen (1865), Do you mean that your eyesight without contact lenses or glasses does not come up to the minimum limit for driving? It sounds as though you have not tried contact lenses yet - is this so? As long as your 'corrected' vision comes up to the legal limit, you can drive. i.e., whilst wearing either contact lenses or glasses (or both, as in my case!).

Obviously, if this is not the case once you have got your contact lenses in, then I am assuming that it would not be safe for you to drive. SUE

Karen

Postby Karen » Wed 23 Jul 2003 10:00 am

Thanks for your message Sue. Up to now I have been wearing glasses to drive, read, work etc only to find that every 6 - 8 months the prescription needed changing as my eyes deteriorate. The hospital have advised that as a last option contact lenses will have to be used - something that I haven't been keen on in the past to take on. The hospital have said that even with contact lenses (and possibly glasses) my eyesight will be just below the minimum level required by law to drive. It's just so frustrating.

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Wed 23 Jul 2003 11:22 am

Hi Karen (1868), I know that hospital's know their stuff, but HOW do they know what you will be able to see with contact lenses until they have actually tried them in your eyes? I would suggest that you wait and see what the outcome is before getting too anxious about it all.

I don't know whether your eyes are particularly different or have other complications, but usually with KC contact lenses mean that you will get much better vision than with glasses. Also, and I am sure many other KCers will agree, we seem to be able to see better on some days than on others so it can be a very variable situation, and there seems to be no obvious explanation.

Let us know how you get on once you have the contacts - you will find that you do get used to them after while. Contact us if you have any queries once you get them, but most of all please be patient and perservere. Take care. SUE

Mohammed Aamar

Postby Mohammed Aamar » Wed 23 Jul 2003 11:22 am

Deleted by topic administrator 24-07-2003 02:58 AM

Topic Administrator

Postby Topic Administrator » Wed 23 Jul 2003 5:02 pm

The last message was removed.
Mohamed Please!

Rule 2.
<b>2. That entries are truly relevant to the discussion group and do not offer opinions on medical competence in any way</b>

Andrew Thomas MacLean

Postby Andrew Thomas MacLean » Wed 23 Jul 2003 5:03 pm

Hi Karen

I guess we're all a bit puzzled by the advice you were given by the hospital. I wore contact lenses for 20 years during which time I was able to drive until, lately, my sight did deteriorate. But I don't see how they can tell before even trying them that contact lenses won't give you sight good enough to drive.

Don't give up! Let them fit lenses. If one sort of lens isn't good for you, try another.

Let us know how you get on.

Andrew MacLean
----------
>From: QT - Karen <qtopic+6-A46Jzt4sJAXLTWnJNHsx@quicktopic.com>
>To: QT topic subscribers <qtopic+subs@quicktopic.com>
>Subject: Keratoconus
>Date: Wed, Jul 23, 2003, 3:00 pm
>

< replied-to message removed by QT >

Karen

Postby Karen » Thu 24 Jul 2003 10:15 am

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your encouraging reply. I think the consultant was just trying to ease the path in case the contact lenses don't come up to "scratch". I'm keeping my fingers crossed that contact lenses will be the answer - for the time being anyway.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”