Quicktopic posts: Jun 2003

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

moran

Postby moran » Thu 12 Jun 2003 4:18 pm

hi andrew
im happy you answered me and about your questions
i got my contact from a private doctor and i see 6/9 which is good(with the contects) i wanted to ask you a few questions:
first off all,how old are u?where are you from?
and second, how common is the Keratoconus?
how good is your eye sight with the contact lenses?
hope to hear from u soon
Moran

Chris W

Postby Chris W » Fri 13 Jun 2003 11:27 am

Jane,
Regarding how KC may affect your son's career prospects.
I recently failed an RAF medical because they discovered I had KC (I didn't know at the time). Consequently they deemed me "permanently unfit for any RAF service" this includes all ground trades as well, not just aircrew. I presume the army and navy have the same policy. I hope that this is not a problem for your son, at least he has time to look into it and I imagine that most other careers will not have the same policy as the forces.

Chris.

John Smith

Postby John Smith » Sat 14 Jun 2003 3:34 am

Hi Rosemary,

Thanks for your comments. I'm now taking the wear more gradually, and have almost got up to 5 hours - the eye is not too red when I take it out, but I;m going to leave it at that for now, probably until I can manage a 5 hour wear without noticing the lens is there... does that ever happen like it does with RGPs sometimes?

John
>
< replied-to message removed by QT >

Gillian

Postby Gillian » Sat 14 Jun 2003 1:28 pm

KC Conference - 14th June 2003

Thank you organisers and thank you participants for a really informative day. My view is that it was a wonderful chance to share the consequences of this quirky 'condition'. It also provided an opportunity of practical and emotional support. I don't want to single out any speakers as you ALL were great. It was so nice to hear personal stories conveyed in such a novel and humorous manner. I know what goes in to putting on a day like today and all who contributed please give yourselves a pat on the back. Very best wishes to you all

Janet Manning

Postby Janet Manning » Sun 15 Jun 2003 5:42 am

Conference
Just wanted to say a very big 'THANK YOU' to the committee for organising the conference and especially to Anne. All your hard work was so worthwhile. The organisation was so professional and the venue brilliant.

I had a really good time meeting so many people, who I felt I already knew to some extent, from their contributions to the discussion page. It was great to put faces to names! What a brilliant day!
Janet

Robert

Postby Robert » Sun 15 Jun 2003 8:31 am

I would like to thank the organisers of the conference, as it has really helped me as i had never met anyone else with KC. It really helped speaking to the members to find out how they cope with education, i found Janet Manning's speech useful, i was also intrigued by the speech on acupuncure and keratoconus, because i am a hayfever sufferer and it stops me from waring my lenses.

once again, thank you to the organizers for an enjoyable day.

umbilica@umbilical.demon.

Postby umbilica@umbilical.demon. » Sun 15 Jun 2003 3:36 pm

Hallo again! to everyone who was at the conference yesterday. I hope you all got home safely.

Big thanks from me too to the organisers for all their hard
work; also to the organisers of the survey, and especially to
Anne for the work on that. The interim results sound
fascinating.

It was good to meet everyone - old friends and new ones, and to
put real voices to electronic ones. hope to see you all again
at the next one.

Rosemary
--
Rosemary F. Johnson

umbilica@umbilical.demon.

Postby umbilica@umbilical.demon. » Sun 15 Jun 2003 3:37 pm

John said:
I'm now taking the wear more
gradually, and have almost got up to 5 hours - the eye is not
too red when I take it out, but I;m going to leave it at that
for now, probably until I can manage a 5 hour wear without
noticing the lens is there... does that ever happen like it does with RGPs sometimes?

I've never worn any other type of lens, but yes, it is possible
to get to the stage where you just aren't conscious of a scleral lens being there. Hang in there!

Glad to hear you're getting on better now, anyway.

Rosemary

--
Rosemary F. Johnson

John Smith

Postby John Smith » Mon 16 Jun 2003 7:57 am

I'd like to add my voice of thanks to everyone at the conference; especially to Anne for organising it all, and to Janet, Freddy and Susie for giving their personal stories. It was great to put faces to names (and apologies to Freddy - I always thought you were a man!), and to meet new people.

Unfortunately, it wasn't a great weekend overall for me. I woke on sunday with a burning sensation and cloudy vision in my grafted eye... so off to Casualty. They don't think it's a rejection, but want me to go back tomorrow if the pain or vision change persists "just in case".

Ho hum!

John

scott baynham

Postby scott baynham » Wed 18 Jun 2003 5:25 am

hello everyone i would like to say hello to every one with this condition i have had it for 13 years with not to meny problems this is my sixth contact lens

Return to “General Discussion Forum”