Quicktopic posts: May 2003

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

John Smith

Postby John Smith » Wed 14 May 2003 7:48 am

Scleral success!

Well, it's now been a week since I got my first scleral lens from Ken Pullum, and because he's designed it to be worn with specs, I've not worn it much, as there's not much point.

I've been practicing though with the insertion and removal, and really can't master the removal without the little rubber sucker godsend! The suction between the lens and the eye seems so strong that I can't get the lid under the lens.

Still, I went to the opticians yesterday to get a new spectacle lens prescribed, and managed (with a change to the spec. lens in front of my grafted eye too) to get to the penultimate line on the chart!

Result: one really chuffed John. It means I can drive again, and I can't remember getting that low on the chart for over 10 years!

Hopefully, as long as the left eye doesn't progress further, I will be able to remain transplant free in that eye.

All I need now is for the real-world vision to be as good as the vision in "the chair". Thanks to Ken for this - it looks like it's all been worthwhile.

John.

Helen Newham

Postby Helen Newham » Wed 14 May 2003 4:24 pm

I see prof Dua at Qmc Nottm, every 10 weeks, Diagnosed Dec 96, told severe cone, only option graft which was doneJune 98. 2 rejection episodes since then halted by maxidex hourly but have white ring around my graft.I am going to the conference in June and am looking forward to meeting people who understand my difficulties, like putting a mug down on the worktop and whoops smashes to the floor as I just cant judge distances, am fed up with walking into door frames,falling off pavements etc, and work just think I am a clumsy idiot.I am not thick just cannot see!!!!
Thanks for all of you for understanding,
LOVE HELEN

Paul Bines

Postby Paul Bines » Wed 14 May 2003 5:36 pm

I don't know if this is of any help, but I was put on the waiting list for a Corneal Graft in August 2001, and (after a slight delay due to my aforementioned corneal ulcers on the Left eye) received my operation in October 2002. This was at Southend Hospital.
My left eye regraft (to correct the damage caused by the ulcers) - I was put onto a trial for Matched Transplants (I believe this is being coordinated by Bristol) designed to test out the possibility of fewer rejections by using a DNA matched transplant (something like that - I don't pretend to understand the science! All I know is that a DNA sample was taken and registered on a central computer) in February this year, and my operation took place two weeks ago - so far it seems to have been a success!

It might be worth having a word with your consultant about this trial - if the yare still accepting 'guinea pigs', you may find it will reduce the length of time you have to wait, especially if your consultant considers you to be at risk of rejection.
Au Res.,
Paul (just back from a short holiday in Ireland, so I have not only last week's emails to catch up on, but also all the emails I couldn't read whilst I was recovering from the op! )

Rob Armstrong

Postby Rob Armstrong » Wed 14 May 2003 6:59 pm

To John Owen.
I read about you having to drop out of uni aged 21 (was that your final year?) Did you discuss your difficulties with your tutors? It seems a shame to waste all that time, money and effort.
I had to admit defeat only weeks before the end of my final semester, but was able to put my studies on hold. I should be able to go back and just do my final semester again, rather than have to repeat my final year (although with the problems I was encountering, I'd probably get better marks second time around).
As I am not technically repeating my final semester (its a clean slate as far as my tutors are concerned), I will not have to pay any extra fees either. Organising an additional student loan could prove more problematic, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

aimee.wilkes@bt.com

Postby aimee.wilkes@bt.com » Thu 15 May 2003 6:42 am

Hi Guys,

I really could do with some help today, I have got a very sharp pain in my left eye and it seems to be a bit swollen ? Could this be something to do with KC or could it be an infection ? I have taken my lenses out was this right or should i keep them in ?

Aimee .

'

aimee.wilkes@bt.com

Postby aimee.wilkes@bt.com » Thu 15 May 2003 7:12 am

Hi Guys,

I really could do with some help today, I have got a very sharp pain in my left eye and it seems to be a bit swollen ? Could this be something to do with KC or could it be an infection ? I have taken my lenses out was this right or should i keep them in ?

Aimee .

< replied-to message removed by QT >

TJStim2299@aol.com

Postby TJStim2299@aol.com » Thu 15 May 2003 9:11 am

Aimee,
If your eye hurts I would suggest keeping your lenses out, and if it persists you maybe be best to get it checked out.

Tim, Norwich, UK

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 15 May 2003 9:14 am

Dear Aimee

See your doctor. I would never keep a lens in an eye where I had a pain, and your doctor will be in a position to treat any infection that you may have. At the same time, (s)he would be able to let you know if you did not have an infection.

Hope your problem clears up.

Andrew

----------
>From: QT - aimee.wilkes@bt.com <qtopic+6-A46Jzt4sJAXLTWnJNHsx@quicktopic.com>
>To: QT topic subscribers <qtopic+subs@quicktopic.com>
>Subject: Keratoconus
>Date: Thu, May 15, 2003, 12:12 pm
>

aimee.wilkes@bt.com

Postby aimee.wilkes@bt.com » Thu 15 May 2003 9:16 am

Thank you Tim, it has got a little easier since i took my lens out, i will have to see how it goes, I just had a bit of a panic about it. !!
Aimee

aimee.wilkes@bt.com

Postby aimee.wilkes@bt.com » Thu 15 May 2003 9:20 am

Thanks Andrew, I worry about leaving my lenses out as i haven't had them long, I have it in my head that i must always put them in because if i leave them out for too long my tolerance will drop, this probably sounds stupid and the pain has eased since i removed it. I'm sure i'll get used to it all. But i think i will have it checked out just to be sure.

Aimee

Return to “General Discussion Forum”