Quicktopic posts: May 2003

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

John Smith

Postby John Smith » Tue 13 May 2003 3:12 am

Hello Aimee,

> Please can anyone give me some ideas about storing my Refresh
> drops whilst I'm at work ? Are they ok stored out of the fridge

Don't worry about storing Refresh. As long as you've not broken the seal on a phial, you can keep them in a desk drawer and they'll remain sterile.
The only reason really to refrigerate them is because they can be more refreshing when they're colder (think of a glass of water!)

John.

aimee.wilkes@bt.com

Postby aimee.wilkes@bt.com » Tue 13 May 2003 4:36 am

Thanks John, I was a bit concerned having not used them before. This web site is a god send !

Aimee

< replied-to message removed by QT >

TJStim2299@aol.com

Postby TJStim2299@aol.com » Tue 13 May 2003 5:13 am

Hi there,
I'm 31 from UK, had transplant 2001, just had last stitches out, apart from where he couldnt get to one stitch, hopefully the cornea will heal over or I may need a little op to remove it. My question is: I am going to Mexico on honeymoon in June this year, can anybody give me info of a eye hospital preferably close to Playa Del Carmen in case i need urgent attention.
Mant thanks,

Tim

JohnOwenUK

Postby JohnOwenUK » Tue 13 May 2003 8:55 am

I was wondering what the average waiting time is on the NHS for a corneal transplant. I was referred to the QMC, nottingham in 1998 and 2yrs ago was told by my consultant that I would be added to the corneal waiting list. I am still waiting!! Also when I awake in the morning my eyes feel like they have been burning (mildly) and they feel fatiqued, does anyone know if this is related to KC. I can rule out my contacts effecting me as I rarely wear them, little blighters.. And lastly my consuktant is Prof Harminder Dua, the Med student refer to him as a guru, has anyone else be a patient of his.

TJStim2299@aol.com

Postby TJStim2299@aol.com » Tue 13 May 2003 9:22 am

I had a cornea transplant in Sep 2001, (Norfolk, UK) average waiting time then on the NHS was about 8 months to a year, I coudnt wait that long and went private, cost about &#A3;3,300.
Hope this helps.

Tim

freddy bull

Postby freddy bull » Tue 13 May 2003 2:20 pm

Dear John,

I had a corneal graft 2 years ago and I think I was lucky but I did not wait long on NHS. I saw surgeon in December and we decided that an op was inevitable. I had op in April, though had originally been planned for March - until surgeon went on his hols! I didn't mind this because a well rested surgeon a seemed better option! So I waited four months. I was told that there is no real wait for donor corneas, as apparently they can be stored for up to 6 weeks. It seems I was waiting for theatre time and the surgeon's slot in theatre.

I am really sorry if you have had to wait so long. Keep healthy.

Freddy

umbilica@umbilical.demon.

Postby umbilica@umbilical.demon. » Tue 13 May 2003 2:31 pm

Susan said:
At the hospital they told me that the lenses were slightly
shallower at the side that went nearest to the bridge of my nose and hense deeper (more slanted it seems to me at the temple
side) I seem to be struggling to see/decide which way round they sould be when I am putting them in wet hands slippy saline etc
does not help, especially when I get to the second or so
attempt.

Ok gosh, yes!! I've had that problem too.

I find that I can (just about!) tell which way round is the
right way round (as it were) when I have another lens in, but
without a lens in, it is next-to-impossible to tell.

Fortunately for me, the lens I wear most often is symmetrical
and doesn't have this problem.

The only answer I can think of is to insist that the hospital
get them marked for you (with a little red or black blob at 12
o'clock, or 6 o'clock, doesn't matter so long as you know where
it is). Most of mine have been marked like this. Or if you
feel brave enough, mark it yourself with a marker pen, though
exactly what you use that wouldn't risk coming off and making
your eye smart, I don't know.

Is there anyone else you could ask? - did you mention your
husband before? - who could see which way round the
off-centred-ness was, and then hold it for you the right way up?
I suspect that this, like all of putting them in and taking them out, will get easier with practice and as you get more used to
the process and calm about it.

Good luck with it!

Rosemary

Rob Armstrong

Postby Rob Armstrong » Tue 13 May 2003 2:34 pm

Hi John,

I was put on the waiting list in June/July 2002 and had my op at the beginning of January. I was told there was a back-log because they had been without a surgeon for several months, so I guess the wait would have been considerably shorter otherwise.

JohnOwenUK

Postby JohnOwenUK » Wed 14 May 2003 1:44 am

I guess I have been webbed into hospital politics then. It frustrates me that I have to wait so long. Initially my consultant diagnosed my left eye to be so severe that lenses were not an option, but to concentrate on using a lens in the right eye before going on the corneal waiting list! Then 6 months later I was put on the list. That was around 18mths ago. Understandably my GP who knows very little on KC wrote a letter to the registrar but I still seem to be in the same predicament. My consultants were aware that I dropped-out of University when I was 21 (2001) because my KC was such a dramatic hindrance, especially when required to read 30hrs a week! I'll get a better idea on the 22nd this month at my standard check-up. Thanks for the reply.

TJStim2299@aol.com

Postby TJStim2299@aol.com » Wed 14 May 2003 5:04 am

Hi there,
I'm 31 from UK, had transplant 2001, just had last stitches out, apart from where he couldnt get to one stitch, hopefully the cornea will heal over or I may need a little op to remove it. My question is: I am going to Mexico on honeymoon in June this year, can anybody give me info of a eye hospital preferably close to Playa Del Carmen in case i need urgent attention.
Mant thanks,

Tim

Return to “General Discussion Forum”