Quicktopic posts: Apr 2003

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Hlooby@aol.com

Postby Hlooby@aol.com » Sat 12 Apr 2003 4:52 am

When I was first diagnosed my optician said my eyes were growing up like cabbages!! And another one said the only way to describe it was to think of it like madonnas bra!! (You know the pointy one that she wore in the 80's for whichever song it was!) While I'm here I'd just like to say I'm so glad I found this website it's given me more confidence to face the future because I got really worried, but now I just face facts and live with it. I have had my RGP lenses for a few weeks now and I am coping really well. I've had no problems so far exept at the beginning!!! Now I know I can manage with them even after a few drinks!! It's good to have a night out and actually see the faces of my friends laughing and having a good time. It still amazes me when I look at things that I can actually see them clearly.

Sorry I'm waffling!! But, I can't talk to my friends at home because they don't understand!! Is there anyone up here in the north near Bradford who is sufferinf from KC? If anyone wants to make contact and share stories me email is Hlooby@aol.com. Thanx for a great site. Laura

David Dunne

Postby David Dunne » Sat 12 Apr 2003 9:12 am

I was diagnosed about 15 years ago and wore hard gas-permeable lenses for a while, but found them very uncomfortable and now wear glasses. I keep hearing about lenses with a soft outer core and hard inner that are more comfortable to wear, does anybody know anything about them?

mike summers

Postby mike summers » Sat 12 Apr 2003 2:33 pm

Hi David
I have the soft perms ( I think that is the correct term for them).
I have only had them 11 days & I have found them to be much better than the rgp lens.
Take some getting used to the way they come out, but when they go in they don't get lost in the corner of your eye like the rgp sometimes do, they easily go to the centre even after straying off course.
I am returning after easter to hospital for check up.
I have used refresh contacts and they help when your eyes become tired of wearing lenses.
I hope I have been of some help.
Regards
Michael

Anne K

Postby Anne K » Sun 13 Apr 2003 12:37 pm

Has anyone had Lasik surgery after a graft? One of our members has had this suggested, but would like to talk to someone who's had experience of this treatment before she decides whether to go ahead. If you can help please e-mail me - Anneklepacz@aol.com.

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Tue 15 Apr 2003 4:27 am

Hi Emma (1576), I used to suffer terribly with allergic conjunctivitis - not sure if it was the lenses causing it or the KC causing it, or a bit of both. However, I did cut out dairy products and found that this helped amazingly - both with stopping the over-production of mucus and the soreness/itchiness of my eyelids (neither of which help when trying to wear lenses all day!).

I cut out dairy products completely for quite a long time (can't remember for exactly how long now) so that they would be completely out of my body. I have not drunk cow's milk since (I used to drink pints of it, plus lots of cheese) but now use only soya milk - this does take some getting used to! However, I do find that if I now occasionally have cheese or chocolate etc (maybe 1-2 times a week), then there does not seem to be a problem. I think it was keeping the diary products topped up in my body the whole time that was making the situation worse.

Obviously, it does not mean that this will work for everyone, but I decided to give it a go as I was climbing the walls trying to keep my lenses in, so it was definitely worth a try in my case. You would have to try it yourself and see what happens - have patience; there is not an instant effect as it takes time for the levels to reduce in your body.

I don't believe dairy products cause allergic conjunctivitis, but that if you have it or are atopic (as most KC sufferers are), they can definitly seem to aggravate the situation.

Good luck Emma and if you try it, let us know how you get on. SUE

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Tue 15 Apr 2003 4:29 am

HI Paul (1587), Good luck with your op on the 29th - hope it goes ahead this time. We will all be thinking of you. Let us know your progress once you are able. SUE

sarah marsh

Postby sarah marsh » Tue 15 Apr 2003 11:12 am

hi all
just to let you all know that we done the stall at the car boot sale on sunday and raised £237.05 for KC group !
the weather was kind ( although fresh ) and 3 people actually asked about KC and what is was.
i was even cheeky enough to ask for a free pitch but he couldnt do that but kindly knocked £4 off so it was worth asking ! lol
hope everyone is ok !
love sarah

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Tue 15 Apr 2003 1:00 pm

Well done, Sarah. Sounds like you enjoyed the car boot sale, as well as raising a grand amount! SUE

Emma Joanne

Postby Emma Joanne » Tue 15 Apr 2003 3:52 pm

Can anyone give me any tips for finding an optician who can deal with KC. I am having problems with my current optician as he is not really up to speed with KC.
Thanks for your help.

Message Agent

Postby Message Agent » Wed 16 Apr 2003 12:00 am

Deleted by topic administrator 16-04-2003 10:25 PM

Return to “General Discussion Forum”