Things I feel I ought to know but don't

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

John Smith
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Wed 29 Mar 2006 5:40 pm

Andrew MacLean wrote:Oh Gareth, at least he didn't edit you so that you said, "when I was a bit of a thug, I was younger."
Andrew, you have given me such a wicked idea. :twisted: The editing isn't over yet :wink:
John

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Wed 29 Mar 2006 5:42 pm

As long as it is done in the write context I think is the phrase many actors and actresses use.
Gareth

John Smith

Postby John Smith » Wed 29 Mar 2006 5:42 pm

Alison,

I've now had the "pleasure" of meeting Gareth twice. Once you forget that he used to be a thug he can be quite friendly :-)

Of course, it could just be all an act :lol:
John

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 29 Mar 2006 5:48 pm

I remember hours spent in recording studios when I was a boy, sliding 4 inch tape through the machine, separating out the tracks and remastering onto quarter inch tape, then splitting and splicing songs together.

Those were the days! Editing? You don't know you're born. I don't kinow, young people these days, call that editing? I tell you, when I was a boy we got up at 4 am to go to the editing suite and we didn't come out until breakfast time.

Now that was editing! ...

sorry, did I type that, I thought I was thinking to myself :oops:

:D Andrew
Andrew MacLean

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby rosemary johnson » Wed 29 Mar 2006 7:15 pm

GarethB wrote:Rosemary,

That was the point I was trying to get across to the lady at the AGM who felt her sone had wasted much of his education trying and failing with lenses.

The people I spoke to later, I mentioned what you have just posted. Thats what prompted me to do by long post on Sunday about when is the right time to graft.

Rosemary; are you still on lenses or have you had a graft?

Perfectly understand if you'd rather not answer.

Gareth

Sorry, I'd had to eave the AGM by that point (at least, I think so, as I don't remember it) due to prior engagement the far side of railway engineering works.
I presume you mean about wearing contacts post-graft.

I'm still on lenses - RGP scleral in left eye, RGP scleral piggybacking over daily-disposable soft lens in right eye.
One thing I dread about the prospect of a graft is finding people trying to get me to wear corneal lenses afterwards. Never worn a corneal lens in my life and don't fancy starting now! - never, that is, unless you count the small size of the soft lenses, which I started trying to put in first and then put the scleral on top of, but they wouldn't stay in.

Alison, I won't despair of anyone! - it is a perfectly valid approach to think "The doc reckons this is best for me, and I'll take his/her advice". That's fine. Sometimes I think I don't want to know all the gory details of risks, etc with something! It's when you ask and they won't tell you that it gets my goat.

As for your daughter - if she has got to the sixth form and is making plans, she has got beyond the stage where *any* health problem or disability can do the worst damage. That is, she is used to studying and knows she can do it, is used to having a brain she knows works well and the idea of planning for what she wants to do. Coping with bad eyesight, or other hindrance, is an obstacle if it happens. It is not going now to hit her before she's even started and leave her thinking she can't cope with study, work, life or whatever because she already knows she can! Good luck to her.

Rosemary

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Wed 29 Mar 2006 9:08 pm

Rosemary,

I sincerely hope you manage with the lenses you have ass deciding a graft is right for you is very hard.

I saw you arrive, recognised you from the confrence but unfortunatly did not have opertunity to say hello.

I now know of two people who lead very active lives with KC but have opted out of grfats and have guide dogs, so I trust this gives you hope should the day come lenses are no longer an option and you decide against a graft.

Despite being very pro grfat I can not over emphasisze the caution one should take when going for a graft.

May be at a KC event soon we will have oppertunity to chat properly in person.

Will you be posting on FAQ section? Your responses to my posts in the past have been most informative.

Better late than never, but Thanks for your help :D
Gareth

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 30 Mar 2006 2:19 pm

Yes Rosemary

You have an experitise from which many of us go on benefiting. I'd be really glad to see lots of contributions from you in the FAQ bit of the site.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Thu 30 Mar 2006 3:38 pm

John,

I was about to put the cheque in the post as agreed, then I noticed the last part. :x

No bribe for you :D
Gareth

Alison Fisher
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Alison Fisher » Thu 30 Mar 2006 4:01 pm

Rosemary - thank you for your words of reassurance. I found myself nodding and thinking yes you're right as I read your thoughts about my daughter.

Gareth (and everyone else) - have you considered that it might be a good idea for you to get a reference re me and mine before getting into a car with us and disapearing up the A45? :twisted: Vlad the Impaler and Attila the Hun are my usual character referees. 8)

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Thu 30 Mar 2006 7:52 pm

You'll get on well with Sweet then, I described her as Gengis Khan but better looking :D

Going to get another slap for that :twisted:
Gareth

Return to “General Discussion Forum”