Quicktopic posts: Feb 2003

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Nessa

Postby Nessa » Sat 22 Feb 2003 5:53 pm

Tony
He has had scleral lenses for the past few years and can only wear them occasionally, he dosn't get on very well with them, he can put them in and out ok, its just his eyes are extreamly bad, he has had KC for 20 years now and had 4 graphts in his left eye. The right eye needs a grapht also, but he wont concider it untill he knows this grapht on his left eye has worked, because this is his last chance for that eye, they wont do any more graphts on his left eye after this one. And because he has some sight in his right eye whilst wearing a lens be it very litlle sight, he will not risk an opperation at the moment, because of past failures on the other eye.
Hope you understood all that, it gets very confusing sometimes..........smile
Nessa

Steve

Postby Steve » Sun 23 Feb 2003 6:42 am

Has anyone any advice please to combat red itchy eyes?Somewhat frustrating at present as we're not exactly in the hay fever season! Currently i can't wear my scleral and normal soft lens and understand the problem is caused by a build up of proteins on the upper eye lids. I've tried Opticrom eyedrops for the last 4 weeks, but so far had little success-ie, i still look as if i've been up half the night! Eyes seem most itchy when i wake in the morning.
Does anyone know whether:
-Its an allergy to the lens solution? I have started using 'AO sept plus' recently rather than Opti-Free Express
(On advice that the latter is a 'no rub' solution and therefore less effective.
-Could the problem be a dust must allergy?
-Has anyone any other suggestions apart from Opticrom to rid any protein build up on the eye lids;or do i just need to give the Opticrom longer to work?
(I've had a new set of lenses for 4 months, and used protein tablets regularly, so i've discounted any problem with the lenses themselves).
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Steve

John Smith

Postby John Smith » Sun 23 Feb 2003 9:52 pm

Hello Adam, and welcome to the group.

To answer your myths, a female friend of mine was told that more women than men suffered from KC. My consultant told me that was bunkum, and it was more like 50/50.

On the second point, I'd not come across the pregnancy age before (and I doubt it), but I suspect - as do many others - there is some sort of genetic link. It's just not been identified yet, though there are I think higher incidences amongst siblings.

All the best,

John.

>
< replied-to message removed by QT >

rosemary@umbilical.demon.

Postby rosemary@umbilical.demon. » Sun 23 Feb 2003 9:54 pm

Adam says:
I do have a couple of questions for the group. I have read what might be a couple of myths about KC.

1. It predominently affects men rather than women.

2. It is genetic, and more likely to effect people whose mothers were pregnant when over 35.

Opinions of these seem to vary as more research is done. However:
There's no overwhelming preponderance of KC in either sex. I
seem to remember that at one time they thought there were
slightly more women than men with KC, then later they thought
there were more men than women. I don't know what the latest
figures are - but if there is a slight bias it is just that : a
slight one. It isn't like, say, colour-blindness, where nearly
all the people who are colourblind are men.

They *do* there think there is a genetic link - though, as in
your case, not everyone has KC in every previous generation. I
think this is what is called a "recessive" gene - one can carry
it, and pass it on to one's children, and not be affected
oneself. They are - or were, when I last heard - thinking that
it takes not only a genetic "predisposition", making on eligible to get KC (as it were) but also some trigger factor that set it
off. They weren't quite sure what the trigger factor may be -
or indeed whether like migraine (which apparently often takes a
combination of factors to set it off) it takes two or more
factors working together to trigger the KC into developing.

At least, that was the latest I remember hearing. No doubt
there will be more updates as more research is done and reported.

I think at one stage they were thinking there may be a link with being born later in one's mother's life, but I don't think that
was ever proved. Unless anyone here knows differently?

There's no-one else in my family who was identified as having KC either! - though my mum (who was 30 when I was born) and most of her side of the family are short-sighted and have astigmatism,
and my dad's mother spent many years disabled with, and
eventually died of, rheumatoid arthritis - which is an
autoimmune disease (ie. where your body attacks itself by
mistake), and there's a theory about KC being an autoimmune
condition. Makes me think..... though I haven't heard of any
work that would substantiate this.

Rosemary

--
Rosemary F. Johnson

Postby rosemary@umbilical.demon. » Sun 23 Feb 2003 9:54 pm

Eamon asks if anyone has had problems with a working environment:
Yes - when our office got a new air conditioning system and it
dried my lenses out in double-quick time and they then got very
sore and watery and...... etc.

What did I do about it? Tried moving round to other parts of
the open plan office, complained to my boss and got the fitters
back to adjust the a/c, and after a while got moved out to have
my office in a Portakabin outside the main building - where if
you wanted air conditioning you opened the windows!

Some of the other people who worked in the same building were
heard chatting in the ladies about how the a/c was drying out
their contacts, but they were the timid sort who didn't make a
fuss so management never knew. But then, they could take out
their contacts and put their glasses on if they had to.

Rosemary

--
Rosemary F. Johnson

Postby rosemary@umbilical.demon. » Sun 23 Feb 2003 10:02 pm

I remember seeing a cartoon once in - well, it must have been
the Christmas edition of a magazine.

Scene: crowded night club, lots of decorations, big banners
saying MERRY XMAS, and loads of people dancing about dressed in
Father Christmas hats, reindeer antlers and the like.

And in the forground, there's customer leaning over the bar,
shouting over the din through cupped hands to one of the barmen: "I said, has anyone handed in a contact lens?"

Rosemary
--
Rosemary F. Johnson

TJStim2299@aol.com

Postby TJStim2299@aol.com » Sun 23 Feb 2003 10:38 pm

I was just wondering if anyone has heard of conductive keratoplasty. Apparently this is a new treatment for longsighted vision istead of laser. it uses radio waves around the cornea to reshape. They are looking into research to treat keratoconus. Look at http://www.horizoneyecentres.com

See what you think!!

Cheers,

Tim

Dave Hamblett

Postby Dave Hamblett » Sun 23 Feb 2003 10:40 pm

Sorry for taking so long hope the conversation hasent moved on to far.been ages since i posted but i saw this the other day and knew how you all feel. I am also completing my last year of an engineering degree and having KC has offered me no major problems.
i have to take a break form vdu's which i have to use most of the time but apart from that i doing fine! any one who wants to study go for it! As for dry eyes i suffered badly on my placement and i realised after a while it was because there was an air con unit above my desk!
i found refresh drops (i get them from tesco) worked a treat.
any way good look to all who are studying i know how you all feel at the mo! back to the assignments for me
Dave H

EAMONN GILLESPIE

Postby EAMONN GILLESPIE » Sun 23 Feb 2003 11:47 pm

Hi Adam,
i was speaking to a person the other day about KC (he is no expert but he has a good knowledge of the human atonomy). This person raised a few great points. When i told him about KC...he asked me about my early life...such as did i know where my life was going...i never really did.Whether i suffered stress in my adolescence...which i did-he then informed me it might be the culmination of these factors which led to my condtion (blurryness of vision). I was dumb struck as i never looked at this angle before. He also asked me if ever i bumped my head when i was young....which i did. He explained to me that behind the eyes a bone runs from ear to ear just behind you eyes (of which the optical nerve is located) a bump could have the effect on this...thus leading to eye condtions. I know that we all have a cross to bear as i believe Jesus had...its how one carry this cross has an effect on our lives and to those around us. I feel about raising these above issues with the KC group...but i feel a little bit aprehensive as i would not like to raise any ones hopes. please write soon. When i was young i had perfect vision......i just wonder does the above person might be on to something. Eamonn

>From: QT - Adam
>Reply-To: QT topic
>To: wellworths2000@hotmail.com
>Subject: Keratoconus
>Date: 17 Feb 2003 16:33:05 -0000
>

The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE*

John Smith

Postby John Smith » Mon 24 Feb 2003 1:26 am

Hello Rob,

Thanks for your message to the group, and welcome!

Your story is very much like my own. I'm sure we all have our own "wake up calls". Mine was probably, like yours, when I suddenly realised that I couldn't cross the road in the dark, even wearing my RGPs.

You'll probably find that your consultant won't want to operate on your other eye until a year or so after the first op. Personally, I had a rejection episode about 9 months after the graft, so that resets the clock, and October is now likely to be the earliest I'd be considered for the second graft.

However, because of the extended poor vision, I've been off to see Ken Pullum at Moorfields to look at a scleral lens.

Although it would be great to have two operated perfect-vision eyes, few people are that lucky, and there's always a risk with any operation. Hopefully, my vision will be good enough (and comfortable enough) with a scleral lens that I won't need the second graft for a while, but who knows? It's probably worth asking your consultant about sclerals (I'd never heard of them until I came on this group) and look at Ken's website at
http://www.sclerals.com.

On the photos front, I'd love to put your ongoing photos on my website - I was going to do my own, but lost the "before" film, and the light sensitivity afterwards made me forget about it. You can contact me at john@roundel.net

Best of luck,

John
>

Return to “General Discussion Forum”