Quicktopic posts: Feb 2003

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Tue 18 Feb 2003 6:31 am

Dear Eamonn (1388), Welcome to the site and I would just like to say that I agree entirely with your philosophy regarding life and KC! As you say, there is always someone else worse off than yourself. KC can really hamper things but the only way to deal with it is to learn how best to manage your own situation, push for the treatment you require, and try. as much as possible, to not let KC get in the way of your life.

Sometimes I wonder if I had not had KC whether I would have done as many things as I have; I am always very determined to not let KC stop me doing anything and so will always have a go - I want to experience as much as possible in life. Would I have been so bothered if I had not had KC?

Its great to hear someone being so positive; of course, we will always have our ups and downs but it is trying to not let the 'downs' get us really DOWN that is the key; just put them down to another one of those blips with KC!

Just remember, there is noone out there who is 100% perfect! Keep smiling :-) SUE

Eamonn Gillespie.

Postby Eamonn Gillespie. » Tue 18 Feb 2003 9:42 am

Hi all,
I would like to know if there is any people out there has problems working in a worked environment with lenses esp with computers( such as dryness of air, heat, smokeness vision). I am thinking of doing a teaching course (one year course). It would be great to hear from anyone who has encountered these issues and the strategy they put in place to deal with them. Also did ever encounter problems when applying for jobs (informing our interviewer of the KC eye condition). Yours eamonn. http://www.wellworths2000@hotmail.com

Kirsty

Postby Kirsty » Tue 18 Feb 2003 12:48 pm

Thanks for all the support - some of you replied directly to my original message (when I was stressed and confused)and other messages just helped indirectly - so thanks to you all. I could not see through my lenses and rang the the consultant who said it was not normal - so asked me to come in again - but as I took one out I lost it. They are so tiny! And clear! Looking for something that is clear and tiny when you have KC is not easy!!

So I shouted for somebody with better eyes to come and look and they had no joy either. Not wanting to be too graphic - I even stripped off without moving from the room to look for it - and still have not found it. It has been an excellent reason no to hoover though!

Since then I have kept practising putting my remaining lens in and out of my eye - it still takes ages - but I am determined to crack it. The hospital however, are ordering me a new lens (identical to the one I lost) so that they can see that I can't see with them on.

Anyway on a happy note - I am now engaged to be married and it just goes to show that no matter how frustrting the NHS delays and the trials and tribulations of KC - there is always something to look forward to.

I have been denied cover for any eye condition on my income protection insurance and I wondered if I ought to tell my life insurance people. It has never occured to me to tell the DVLA - but I have stopped driving at night - I just don't llike it and do not have the confidence.

Thanks for everything and if anyone has any tips on how to find a lens - let me know!

Rob Armstrong

Postby Rob Armstrong » Tue 18 Feb 2003 5:54 pm

When I was still new to contact lenses, and hadn`t had much practice at taking them out, I lost a lens one evening. I had my whole family crawling around on the bathroom floor with torches and magnifying glasses, but over an hour later still no sign of it.
Just as we had given up, by chance my Dad noticed something odd about my eyelid sometimes when I blinked. On a hunch we pulled my eyelid up as far as it could go, and shone the torch. Something was glistening way up at the very top of my eye. Finding it was one thing, getting it was another. After manipulating my eyelids for over half an hour, (during which we "lost" it again several times in the far corners of my eye), I managed to push it up and out over my tear glands and down onto my cheek.

From your post it sounds like its been a couple of days since you lost your lens, but if you`ve already looked EVERYWHERE else...

Rob Armstrong

Postby Rob Armstrong » Tue 18 Feb 2003 6:16 pm

Hi Eamonn,

In response to your question, yes I have experienced problems with my lenses drying out and then becoming misty in a working environment, as well as when working with computers.

I worked weekends in a supermarket while at uni, the building had no windows, and the air was very dry. I found that my eyes would dry out very quickly, causing my lenses to rub and make my eyes go red. Also the lack of tear flow caused them to mist up.

My uni course involved a lot of computer work, of course prolonged use of computer screens doesn`t do anyone's eyes much good. We were told to take regular breaks to give your eyes a rest. I`ve also heard that LCD (flat-panel) monitors are easier on the eyes than conventional ones.

I mentioned the problem to my optician, and was told that there are several eye drops available that can be used to relieve dry/tired eyes. I can`t remember the product names sorry, but I doubt it would be difficult to find out about them-just confirm that they are safe to use with your lenses. I was also told that simply removing your lens, applying some fresh conditioning solution, and re-inserting it can help.

Hope that helps.

Emma Fletcher

Postby Emma Fletcher » Tue 18 Feb 2003 7:15 pm

Hi Eammon

I have been wearing RGP lenses for about 2 1/2 years now. With regards to dryness etc at work. I am a student in my final year. My lenses are not too much of a problem for me whilst at uni as I am not at the computer all day, although sometimes I have a bad day when my eyes get tired and sore...but it's usally when I've not had enough sleep.

I was on a work placement in the summer for 2 months and when I was there I did have more problems. The office had airconditioning and fans...so these didn't help with the dryness. The best thing you can do if you get this problem is get some re-wetting drops and apply them regularly. My optometrist told me to apply them every hour, because I do tend to get dry eyes. She also told me I'm not blinking enough!! I'm not sure how long you've been wearing lenses and how much you blink or anything...but apparently I don't do it enough hence my really dry eyes. Whilst working on computers its important to blink really hard every few seconds I'm told. Even though it seems so obvious I still cant seem to get the hang of it!!

Anyway go for it with the teaching course....Like I said I have been at uni for 3 years, and I'm in my 3rd year now inn the middle of a 12000 word disseration and KC hasn't caused me any major problems.

With regard to jobs, I'm not sure. Some people say you shouldn't say but others have told me that its a legal requirement that you do. When I apply I probably will tell the company, just due to the fact that in the summer I had to have a couple of afternoons off for eye appointments etc, and people kept asking why my eyes were red, why I was too vain to put on a pair of glasses instead of having my eyes streaming etc!

Anyway good luck with everything...sorry if I've gone on, this was only meant to be short!

Emma

Eamonn Gillespie.

Postby Eamonn Gillespie. » Wed 19 Feb 2003 5:33 am

HI aLL thanks for replying to my request for information in relation to KC.

Adam

Postby Adam » Wed 19 Feb 2003 12:20 pm

Hello All

Thanks for replying to my message...

Regarding mentioning KC for work and driving - so far I haven't mentioned it during job interviews, waiting up I've been offered the job. Taking time off hasn't caused any difficulties. In fact one employer allowed me 'free' holidays (on top of my allocation) for my eye appointments. I do remember mentioning my condition after passing my driving test (probably when applying for provisional license as well, but not sure). Initially, on passing, I was given a drivers license for a limited period (3 years?) - but once the time came for renewal the DVLA sent me a normal license, valid until I turn 70. Not sure how that worked...but I did give them contact details for the eye hospital etc.

I, too, am at university (finishing a PhD) and the condition has not held me back in any way. Like Emma and Rob I do suffer from dry eyes , for which the optician has recommended Hypromellose eyedrops - available over the counter at Boots for about £1.80. I don't go anywhere without them!

Hope this helps

Nessa

Postby Nessa » Wed 19 Feb 2003 10:42 pm

Hi all,
Do you know if i had a pound for every time me or one of the kids has found a lost contact lens i would be a rich person.......smile. My husbands lens falls out anywhere and at anytime........and how many times have i told him to put the plug in the sink when he is putting his lens in, i have lost count...... I remember one evening we were all out in the garden and his lens fell out onto the grass, i spent the rest of the evening trying to find it, but no it wasn't to be and it was getting dark so in the end very begrudgeingly i gave up. It rained that night, but the next morning i got up and thought, right i'll have one last look, Hubby telling me i was crazy, but i'm thinking well he needs it so one last look.....and you know what...yep i walked out there, got on my hands and knees yet again and i found it....My neighbours must have thought i was a crazy woman, what with all the whooping and hooraying and shouting i did. Hubby just looked at me with a big grin and said thanks babe well done and that made all that effort looking for it worth while.
Nessa

Tony.Stigle

Postby Tony.Stigle » Sat 22 Feb 2003 6:44 am

Dear Nessa. If your hubby's lens is falling out this often he should seriously look at changing to scleral lenses. The same thing happened to me 6-7 years ago. Eventually after replacing lenses and loosing them in all sorts of inconvenient places! I was referred to an optometrist who fitted scleral lenses. Problem solved straight away! No chance of the lenses falling out and after the initial getting used to them they were very comfortable. You ncan also wear them swimming etc.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”