Quicktopic posts: Feb 2003

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Sherrie

Postby Sherrie » Wed 26 Feb 2003 12:14 pm

I have kerataconus, although I have had a corneal transplant, and I wear a contact lens in my right eye, this lens doesnt stay in, I now do not have any as I have lost them. I understand that there is a new lens out called the Boston Sceral lens, which was talked about on the oprah winfrey show, can you tell me if this lens is used for kerataconus patients at moorfields ??

Sherrie

Postby Sherrie » Wed 26 Feb 2003 12:16 pm

I have kerataconus, although I have had a corneal transplant, and I wear a contact lens in my right eye, this lens doesnt stay in, I now do not have any as I have lost them. I understand that there is a new lens out called the Boston Sceral lens, which was talked about on the oprah winfrey show, can you tell me if this lens is used for kerataconus patients at moorfields ?? My eye is sore and very dry I do use tear drops perhaps someone can help me on this. I am blind in my left eye

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Wed 26 Feb 2003 12:27 pm

Hi Sherrie, Absolutely most definitely scleral lenses are used for KC patients at Moorfields, for KC eyes either with or without a corneal transplant. And they are not new! They were around before corneal contact lenses. As you are having so many problems keeping the corneal lenses in your eyes, then you are probably a perfect candidate for scleral lenses. Contact Moorfields and ask if you can have an appointment to discuss.

It is very encouraging to see that the US are finally talking about scleral lenses - at last! I am assuming, of course, that the Boston scleral lens is the same as any other scleral lens? Can anyone help on this?

Take care, Sherrie, and let us know how you get on. Hopefully, this will be a solution for you. SUE

Laura

Postby Laura » Wed 26 Feb 2003 1:48 pm

Hi it's me again, I've just been for my first ever fitting for rgp lenses. My new optician was very helpful and was extremely pleased with the way I reacted to the lenses. It was really great how they improved my vision and I feel so happy, I just hope when it comes to me putting them in I get on as well with them!!! At least I wont be saying hi to strangers in the street thinking they're somebody I know for a while!! I just had to say how happy I felt even after my first fitting! Hope you are all doing ok. Bye for now

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Wed 26 Feb 2003 1:51 pm

That's great news, Laura. We are all really happy for you and I'm sure you will get on fine with your lenses once you have had a bit of practice! Keep smiling :-) SUE

mike summers

Postby mike summers » Thu 27 Feb 2003 5:22 pm

Hi Sue
It has been a few months since I left a message here.
I had appointment at Ipswich hospital monday and I have been passed on to the contact lens dept.

Apparently my eyes are not likely ever to require surgery, my consultant said I was in the category of the best 10%. I would hate to think what others are going through then.

Will keep in touch
mike

harpomatrix@yahoo.co.uk

Postby harpomatrix@yahoo.co.uk » Fri 28 Feb 2003 4:18 am

Hi

Monday 25 November 2002 - Thursday 27 Feburary 2003
13 Weeks)

Thats how long my hydrops have taken up to clear, and to date was the worst time in my life. So Why am I not happy.

Because my vision came back to a state where i can see around me but things are faded, white fog. I believed that it was due to there still being water trapped behind my cornea because if you look at my right eye there is still a white patch in the middle. I had assumed it was water and that it needed time to clear and that when it did that I would see without the fade.

I went to my appointment yesterday morning. I thought he would be impressed at the progress. I totally didn't think he was going to say something bad. He said the white patch was not water and that the hydrops had cleared. The white patch was scarring. I was totally taken back I can't believe it scarred so bad.

I have 12 weeks till my next appointment to decide if I go ahead with the graft and they will try to get it done for July time.

Don't know what to do. I start my 3rd and final year at uni in october so I would need to have it done before that.

I'm a high rejection candidate too so I know this whole thing will go wrong.

Worried about my driving since I've had a few lessons now (12) and am convinced things are all gonna get screwed up.

Things don't seem to want to go right for me so don't have much hope in anything right now.

Nessa

Postby Nessa » Fri 28 Feb 2003 6:05 am

Hi Harpo,
Hey dont give up, i dont know all ya story, but ya have to keep going, if not for yaself then for your friends and family. My husband is on his fourth eye grapht to his left eye and where i cant say to you i know exactly how ya feel, i can say that how you are reacting at the moment is ok, its normal to feel like that. And i feel so helpless when my hubby is feeling the way you do now. This time round he has been put on ant-rejection drugs, which have helped stop his grapht from rejecting at the moment, but at the same time have made him quite ill, but we are perseveering (sorry about the spelling), we have 3 young children also. And how you react to your situation affects those close to you, its difficult i know, but you have to be positive....negative thoughts wont help you or anyone else arround you..........So chin up and look at the next phase in your life as a challenge rather than a problem, difficult, but possible.
Nessa

Dave

Postby Dave » Fri 28 Feb 2003 12:29 pm

Hi again folks!
Well since my last post I have now been for a RGP lens fitting apointment and have today collected my lenses. After paying £260 for them I iam pleased with the diffrence they make to my vision, but fear paying this amount at least every 12 months. The RGP's I have are the 'hybrid' typw with the hard plastic centre to press against the cornea and soft outer like those found on daily dispoaibles and alike. What I now wish to know ask if anyone has any reccomendations for future lens suppliers in the UK, or indeed is any support available for the purchase of lenses.

Regards,
Dave.

Janet Manning

Postby Janet Manning » Fri 28 Feb 2003 3:37 pm

Hi Dave,
Suggest you get referred to hospital and then to hospital optician. I got soft perms, which is what you describe, on NHS this way. It was after transplants, which may have made a difference. Lenses cost £40 each and were exchanged free of charge every time the soft 'skirt' split, which was often! Lenses on NHS may depend on your prescription, I'm not sure.
Janet

Return to “General Discussion Forum”