Quicktopic posts: Feb 2003

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

sarah marsh

Postby sarah marsh » Mon 24 Feb 2003 1:45 am

hiya!
i dont know if anyone is interested in this but i recieved an email from KC centre about an programe on MANDY PATINKIN story on his journey through KC and his transplant!
the programme is being aired tonight FEB 24th @ 9pm but also on FEB 25TH @ 12.00PM
MARCH 1ST @ 2PM
MARCH 2ND @ 1 PM
MARCH 3RD @ 5AM
MARCH 23RD @ 2 PM !
It may be of interest to some !

Also, just to let you know i seen my surgeon last friday and so far the new cornea is doing excellent. He was very pleased, although my vision seems to have gone down slightly he said the cornea and stitches are looking very healthy ! a great weight off my mind !
hope everyone is well and enjoy the programme if you watch it !
love sarah

sarah marsh

Postby sarah marsh » Mon 24 Feb 2003 1:53 am

eamonn... about your posting as to how we might get KC ... well in 1989 i was in a coach crash and hit the left side of my head ( and eye), up untill then i had PERFECT vision.
i noticed eye sight was changing and seen opticians then was referred to my local main hospital and when i got my appointment in 1991 i was diagnosed with KC.
asking lots of questions as to how i got it , my doctors went through how i may have got it then i mentioned coach crash and we have put it down to that being the only explanation. vision was ok till 1999 and had transplant in August 2002.
hope this helps you !
love sarah

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Mon 24 Feb 2003 4:33 am

Hi Sarah, Glad to hear your transplant is doing so well. The programme you talk about sounds interesting - on what channel is it being shown? Take care. SUE

sarah marsh

Postby sarah marsh » Mon 24 Feb 2003 7:27 am

oops...so sorry i forgot to say what channel it was on !
its on DISCOVERY HEALTH CHANNEL ON SKY !
sorry !

Eamonn Gillespie.

Postby Eamonn Gillespie. » Mon 24 Feb 2003 8:35 am

HI all,
i have a couple of queries running around my head.....it would be to great to get some feedback. Firstly, what are the stages to KC....in relation to eye decline. I am 30..i was diagnosed to having KC at age 23. I feel that my left eye has a slight case of KC (in so much that if i close the right eye and focus with the left things are just lack that bit of extra definition that would bring things into total vision. The right eye is just that bit worse off than the right. W/o them both in is alot better than wearing glasses. Does the eye condition stay level from 30 yrs onwards.
Secondly, from a christian view point we are told that a lady that touched the cloak of jesus was healed (her faith cured her), which brings me to my discussion point. What about writing ourself a letter which tells us every morning affirmations about clear vision and colours and where we are going in life. Through repetition would this persuade the brain that our vision is not so bad thus leading to better vision.

Payne Family

Postby Payne Family » Mon 24 Feb 2003 4:33 pm

My daughter was diagnosed with KC when she was just 4 years old. She wasn't old enough to have had any emotional problems and she had had no severe head bumps.The only thing I can mention is that at 18 months old when she was "helping" me she accidently squirted bathroom cleaner into her eyes. I immediately took her to A & E and they doused her eyes with saline unitil the litmus reading was back to normal. We have been told by everybody she has seen that this wouldn't have had a bearing in her getting KC. Regards
Deb
< replied-to message removed by QT >

sarah marsh

Postby sarah marsh » Mon 24 Feb 2003 4:37 pm

about KC programme !
i tryed to see programe as mentioned in my earlier messages but as 9 pm came the prog didnt come on !
i checked times on my email i had sent to me for the reminder of the screening of this programe and then the times had ET next to them so not sure when it is on now ! i will try and find out incase anyone else wants to watch it !
sorry !
sarah

Jonathan Stokes

Postby Jonathan Stokes » Mon 24 Feb 2003 4:41 pm

Steve

This is possibly a condition known as contact lens associated papillary conjunctivitis often abbreviated to CLAPC. It causes red eyes, a lot of mucous discharge, and stinging (most common and somewhat paradoxically when the lenses are not worn or removed at night). The exact cause is uncertain, but it is generally considered to be a combination of 1) an allergic reaction to the debris that builds up on a contact lens (including protein), and 2) an inflammatory response to the physical rubbing of the inside lining of the eyelids eyelids over a contact lens. In a way you can consider it as an allergy to contact lenses and in normal retail contact lens fitting, the cure is to stop wearing the contact lens. In your case Steve, the advice is to wear the lenses as little as possible ? if possible ?, to clean your lenses thoroughly including protein removing tablets, to disinfect your lenses with a totally preservative free two step peroxide system such as 10:10 or Oxysept 1&2. Opticrom may be useful (It takes a few weeks to have any effect) but Opticrom is only aiming to reduce the systems and will not remove the root of the problem. Your optician will easily be able to tell you whether or not you have CLAPC by everting your eyelids and examining the conjunctiva.
Jon

Send instant messages for free with MSN Messenger. Click here to download it now!

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon 24 Feb 2003 4:48 pm

To Steve My itchy red eyes were caused by allergy to house dust mites. My G P prescribed Fexofenadine, which cured it Opticrom didn't help at all. I also had allergic reaction to some solutions, am O K with hydrogen peroxide.

rosemary@umbilical.demon.

Postby rosemary@umbilical.demon. » Mon 24 Feb 2003 6:06 pm

Eamonn wrote:
HI all,
i have a couple of queries running around my head.....it would
be to great to get some feedback. Firstly, what are the stages to KC....in relation to eye decline. I am 30..i was diagnosed to having KC at age 23. I feel that my left eye has a slight case
of KC (in so much that if i close the right eye and focus with
the left things are just lack that bit of extra definition that would bring things into total vision. The right eye is just that bit worse off than the right. W/o them both in is alot better
than wearing glasses. Does the eye condition stay level from 30 yrs onwards.

It varies. Some people find they have a period of stability, but not everyone.

Secondly, from a christian view point we are told that a lady
that touched the cloak of jesus was healed (her faith cured
her), which brings me to my discussion point. What about writing ourself a letter which tells us every morning affirmations about clear vision and colours and where we are going in life. Through repetition would this persuade the brain that our vision is not so bad thus leading to better vision.

I'm not clear of the link between the two - Christian theology
would say the woman with the haemorrhage was cure *by Jesus*
because of her faith that he could and would. You seem to be
suggesting a "positive thinking" approach to "curing" ourselves.

For some people, this sort of positive thinking approach, with
notes to themselves with positive thoughts, or whatever, is
useful and helpful. For others, not. Note, though, that it may be a way of avoiding or staving off depression or feelings of
helplessness caused by knowing all too much about how one's
eyesight is deteriorating, or thinking it precludes us from lots of good parts of life. It would not, of itself, actually
improve the eyesight. One might be able to positive-think
oneself into a very "can-do" frame of mind, but that does *not*
mean one can actually, or safely, do everything one might feel
positive about.

FOr example, one might have psyched oneself up to think one was
coping very well with one's eyes - but that wouldn't mean one
could actually see well enough to drive legally. And if one
drove anyway, because of the positive feelings, one would not
only be illegal but possibly very dangerous.

As regards persuading the brain that the vision is not so bad -
I'm quite sure that the brain does learn to adjust, by learning
how to "cope" with the poor vision, multiple images, etc and
find a way of struggling with all the "noise" around the
"signal" and make some sense of it. Largely, I think, it learns to "filter out" the blurs, ghost double images, etc. But again, that does not, of itself, improve one's vision - one's actual
acuity, I mean. As a result of much practice, one's brain may
have learned to cope with the terrible pictures (in the way that if I'm really interested in hearing something on the radio while I'm sitting on a train, I can usually make sense of what I hear
even through all the whistles and crackles from the power
rails). But one isn't actually seeing things well (any more
than I'm hearing beautiful music), and it would still be very
dangerous to try to drive.

Rosemary

--
Rosemary F. Johnson

Return to “General Discussion Forum”