Quicktopic posts: Jan 2003

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Tony Stigle

Postby Tony Stigle » Tue 28 Jan 2003 6:40 pm

<FONT COLOR="22">
For your info.. I dont know what
< replied-to message removed by QT < means.. its nothing to do with me!.. I will invetigate & report..
Tony
</FONT>

Tony Stigle

Postby Tony Stigle » Tue 28 Jan 2003 6:48 pm

Deleted by author 29-01-2003 04:49 AM

Susan Mason

Postby Susan Mason » Wed 29 Jan 2003 5:10 am

Rosemary ... You must think I am mad by now (I certainly feel that I must be some of the time). So far I have put my missunderstanding down to asking the wrong questions in my 20-25 mins each month at the hospital (I have always gone armed with a list of questions however, sometimes feel I am non the wiser when I come out. At first i thought it was me not listening, then my husband who is normally with me said one day "They seem to contradict themselves from one visit to the next" so maybe it is not me. I then put all my troubles down to having a condition that by all accounts is not a "perfect science" and I have given them the benefit of the doubt since as I certainly dont want to get lenses that will make things worse. At least at present I can see when I screw my eyes up and I am managing to do most things I need to do even though slowly in most cases.

You write..... Errrr, Susan, sorry if I've misunderstood this - but are you being told by the hospital to reduce the wearing time when you find the lenses are perfectly comfortable for you when you wear them for longer than they tell you to?.... Basically the answer to this is yes and no. They have advised that I reduce the wearing time in the left eye (wouldn't commit themselves to a time mind you, just suggested I should wear it only when necessary!!!! Do you realise I can't see without it I asked to be replied to "we appreciate it will be difficult")In their defence I MUST STRESS THAT from the first several check ups they did say that the fit was not quite correct in the left eye, but they decided to leave it alone as it did not appear at the time to be causing me any problems, at the time the concern was for the right eye which they said did seem to be rubbing. As for me wearing them longer than advised I have never done this in fact I have probably been over careful to the point that if they said 5 hours, when 5 hours came around if we were out in the car I made my husband park up and I have taken them out, in some ways I have been a little 'hung up' on it as I wanted to make sure I did nothing that could make things more difficult, especially as with them in I could suddenly see so well.

To me too, it sounds very strange, and not at all
satisfactory! As for *why* I should *not* be wearing the lenses when to me they feel quite comfortable, I could not fet an answer and by this stage I was so upset I just felt like I was banging my head against the wall suddenly the prospect of not seeing at Christmas passed through my mind and as I was being walked out of the room anyway the conversation stopped. Later that week my little boy who is 5 was in the carol service at school, we arrived on time only to find no where to sit, unable to see, even with one lens in at the distance so I sat for an hour in the car crying (I don't want to live the rest of my life like this and as I told my optometrist at my Jan appointment "If this is as good as it gets, tell me so at least that way I can go away and adjust my life to it. Don't keep giving me little bits of hope to cling on to only to pull them away from me at the next appointmentm - I just got a strange look and cough to this)

I have not asked them what they think will happen if I wear them for as long as they feel comfortable because I need to be able to see, however felt a bit like they were pointing the finnger at ME when at the last appointment 17Jan they told me it was strange how I always looked ok when they saw me however the problems seemed to occur when I went away to wear them????

The only things they have told me re their concerns for fitting are, the right lens appears to be rubbing and when they put dye in there is staining, which they say is not good.

I hope I have made sense, it is getting to be another long essay I am sure you are all fed up with me by now I feel the hospital are. Anyway the next appointment is 20 Feb and I am due to see a different optometrist to try to fit the sclerals, I am hoping it will be a new start and things will work out this time however, I am not holding my breath just in case (I dont think I can take any more set backs at the moment). Work is getting more difficult by the day and just recently one individual (a manager at my own level) seems to take great joy, when she comes to see me shouting at the top of her voice "stop screwing your eyes up you will make it worse, get someone else to read it for you" I have explained several times I can't see, my line manager has sent everyone an email explaining the difficulties I have and how they can help/assist me (or just be patient). Even when I stressed to the individual that I could not see facial features clearly unless I was right up close it still did not seem to sink in. (This wound me up so much that on Mon after about 2 hours into the shift, having walked to school with Ben that morning, not knowing if I was stepping in puddles or mud etc (as always when out with no lenses in) I found myself in a heap at my desk in a puddle of tear wondering how I am goinng to cope for the next 25 years of my working life.

Anyway enough for now, thanks for your concern, sorry for the long post.

PS I wonder how Harpo is??? I keep trying to remind myself through all this that others too are struggling and maybe in the big scheme of things my problems are insignificant and I should be thankful that I can still see most things, most of the time even if it means screwing my eyes up and pulling funny faces.

tactical@umbilical.demon.

Postby tactical@umbilical.demon. » Wed 29 Jan 2003 1:08 pm

Minos asks if we can be considered "disabled" from the point of
view of getting a disabled-parking car sticker:

I'm afraid I've no idea how the rules for "blue badges" for cars work. But I would think that if your eyesight is bad enough to
consider yourself disabled enough to want a badge, you wouldn't
be fit to drive!

I don't know if it is possible for someone else to apply for a
badge to go in *their* car for when they are driving you about.

Have you tried the "safety specs" with the side pieces for
keeping the wind and dust out?

Rosemary
--
Rosemary F. Johnson

Listening in on Hal5/Juno speech equipment

tactical@umbilical.demon.

Postby tactical@umbilical.demon. » Wed 29 Jan 2003 1:08 pm

Deleted by topic administrator 30-01-2003 03:08 PM

Tony.Stigle

Postby Tony.Stigle » Wed 29 Jan 2003 2:40 pm

Deleted by topic administrator 30-01-2003 03:08 PM

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 31 Jan 2003 6:02 am

Rosemary

I tried wearing "safety specs", but they made my eyes very hot. I wonder whether they stopped the air moving across my RGP lenses, so that there was not the required gas exchange?

This leaves me with the problem that Minos identified. :(

Andrew

Return to “General Discussion Forum”