Quicktopic posts: Oct 2002

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Tony Stigle

Postby Tony Stigle » Sun 06 Oct 2002 2:06 pm

OK... I have spent 6 hours on this site today... There were many broken links that I had not seen & no one had told me about.. and as for my spelling!!!! Phew.. sorry..
What do you think of the new front page .. is that better?
( I have kept the old one just in case) Please can I have your feedback & your contributions while I am in the mood! ( tonystigle@yahoo.com )

I think I have updated every page so have a look around & enjoy.. I hope you find it helpful.

And as for those that only go to discussion page form there browser & do not know what I am on about then the information you need is http://www.keratoconus-group.org.uk

Delighted to be here...
Tony Stigle

sally bonds

Postby sally bonds » Sun 06 Oct 2002 2:18 pm

am so sorryto hear about your problems. i have never had a ulcer but have heard they are really painful. Have had to cornea graphs though which were very sore for quite a while, and have worn many pairs of contact lences in my time. Have just recieved my new contact lens from moorfields and keep looking at it knowing i should try and put it in but when you know the delight of getting use to a lens again after not wearing one for a while it is hard to get in the right frame of mind. How many people with KC can say they wear their lenses with no pain lucky devils if you are one or know someone who does.

Carole Woodruff

Postby Carole Woodruff » Sun 06 Oct 2002 4:05 pm

Quite a few messages recently re- amidose and steripod.

Both products are exactly the same ie 0.9% physiological saline. Preservative free.

I use ciba non-preservative saline to rinse the miraflow from my scleral lenses. Safeway own brand is exactly the same as the bottles of ciba saline as ciba make it for them!! Much cheaper.

Anyone asking their GP to prescribe steripod saline should ask for steripod blue! Amidose not available on prescription for some reason. Prob cos double the cost of steripod blue saline.

Hope that's helpful to those who can't get their salin from Moorfields. My GP prescribes 3 boxes at a time but Mike gets 6 boxes from his!! Anyone out there on 7 or more?? All for £6.20!!

Robert Smith

Postby Robert Smith » Sun 06 Oct 2002 5:26 pm

Have not posted anything for quite a while though I keep an eye (!) on what is going on. Am 8 months down the line after a graft and waiting to go back for my next check up - eye is basically OK though it has periods of soreness. Sight is pretty good though not perfect - about a million times better than it was though!

Have been through the up-dated site which enticed me into going through it all - must be better as I hadn't done that before. Especially liked the photos of the walk - putting faces to people (even if you don't know who they are) makes it more human than just e-mail addresses. It also made me sign up as a member.

Quite intrigued by the genetic link to KC. I am a member of a (very) large family and none of my brothers and sisters (nor my cousins) have it. It always strikes me that so few people are afflicted! The first person I met with KC was the patient in the next bed to me when I went in to have my graft - and I was the first person he had met too!

Best wishes to all

Robert

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Tue 08 Oct 2002 8:21 am

Hi Mike (1025), You definitely 100% need to try scleral lenses if you are working in a dusty environment. No dust can penetrate behind them. They do look a bit scary to start with but you get used to them! Make sure you ask your consultant about them. If you get referred via your GP to a consultant at a hospital, you can normally get your lenses/ solutions on the NHS rather than having to pay the full amount which works out pretty expensive. Keep us up to date with your progress. Take care and good luck. SUE

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Tue 08 Oct 2002 8:25 am

Hi Allyoudeen (1019), Know what you mean about grit under corneal lenses - used to drive me completely maaaad! Again, have YOU tried scleral lenses? No grit can get underneath them and the saline that they are filled with is very soothing on the eye. Dry eyes - apparently contact lens wearers need to blink alot more but also blink correctly, i.e., ensuring that our eyelids come down right over the eye each time and not just half way to ensure the continuous production of tears - might be worth practicising! Take care and keep smiling :-) SUE

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Tue 08 Oct 2002 8:29 am

Hi Sally (1027) You are going to hate me for this ...! Tonnes of pain with corneals but none with sclerals. Definitely worth having a pair, even if you swap between the two types of lenses; this seems to give the eyes a break and then the corneals are not so uncomfortable to wear. At least then we have a choice, rather than struggling on and on with the dreaded corneals, making our lives a misery. Let us know what you think. Take care. SUE

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Tue 08 Oct 2002 8:32 am

Hi everyone, Hope you are all well. I've been a bit quiet over the weekend as have been down to Cornwall to the Eden Project and Lost Gardens of Heligan - both absolutely amazing! If you get the chance to go, please take it. Back with a vengeance now! Keep wearing those lenses with a smile! :-) SUE

Bob Hillcock

Postby Bob Hillcock » Tue 08 Oct 2002 12:24 pm

Hi Sue(1033)I suffer with dry eyes and wear corneal lenses,Do you think this is the main reason I might be suffering from corneal ulcers? I do put moisterising eye drops in as often as I can and I have to wear them up to 14 hours a day.I am forever getting something in my eyes especially when walking down the streets.I would appreciate yours and anyone else's comments particually on ulcers.
Thanks Bob

Larry

Postby Larry » Tue 08 Oct 2002 12:58 pm

My eys burns when I put my lens in and very sensative to light. Does any one else have this problem.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”