7wks Update Pic

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Asif
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Asif » Mon 03 Apr 2006 6:06 am

Knight your recovery is going great!! How is the ghosting/halo effects/multiple imaging like now in the grafted eye?

Also how do you manage to take such good photos of the eye.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 03 Apr 2006 6:14 am

Knight

At my last appointment with the surgeon we spoke about the possibility of a DALK in my left eye. He reckons it's worth a go, so I shall be trundled into the Theatre fully expecting to have corneal stroma grafted onto my own endothelium. I shall then grow my own epithelium over the top of the grafted stroma. (if thing s do not look good he will go ahead and do a PK)

I am grealy encouraged to hear your continued progress following DALK. The received wisdom is that sight recovers more slowly after DALK.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Knight
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Knight » Mon 03 Apr 2006 9:52 am

Asif:
Although my eye is still sensitive to the light - mostly strong sun and indoor store fluorescent lighting - there is no ghosting as such or halo around bright lights, even at night when I'm driving, street lights and car headlights don't bother me as they used to with the glare or being overpowered by it.
Where the contrast is good,there is though a clear double image on things, mostly noticable on LEDs or via the snellen chart, which is not like a ghosted image being usually semi-transparent, it is a defined 'dual imagine' double vision in the grafted eye which, if I squint is reduced and is why, I am having a hard time seeing more than 6/24 because anything smaller is simply not possible to sort out because the double vision is so tight.
But I have been told, due to the tension I'm having on the surface of my eye because of the stitches, once they're all removed it should be reduced whereby unaided 6/24 should at least be sharper and correctable to at least 6/6.

As to taking good photos that will depend on the type of camera you have. A 2megapixel basic will normally allow you decent macro exposures. Most digitals have the setting to adjust the exposure (shutter release timing)and when you're using a flash at such closeness it's best to keep it fast so the photo doesn't get flash-flushed as in turn out as one big white frame. I had my camera set to fill-flash, -1.0 exp, macro (meaning the focus was near within 6inches focus not infinite), the flash will keep the pupil tiny and the background lighting was from a big window to keep shadows off my eye. I also had my camera set to timer, took about 25photos one after the other until my memorycard was full, some were out of focus, some where too dark bc I either sat too close or not close enough and I mean a difference of a couple of inches not feet. I suppose it would be helpful if you had someone taking the photo, but I didn't so it was more trial and error at one point than anything.

Andrew, it has been mentioned that sight would recovery more slowly with DALK since it would take longer due to the layers needing to attach. I'm curious though have you been told which form of seperation your surgeon will be using? Mine used Melesse (spatula) technique.
Only those with KC know the hidden beauty of a Christmas Tree.

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Mon 03 Apr 2006 10:34 am

Knight

What supps are you taking? as my and your recovery seems to be similar and the only thing different; seems to be the additional stuff we take.. (not taking into account genetic predispositions!) when compared against general results and outcomes..

J
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Knight
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Knight » Mon 03 Apr 2006 12:09 pm

As there are many variations of the vitamins listed I am taking these specifically under advice due to what they target and help assist in according to my diet which is carbo balanced and protein high:

Vitamin C-500mg with Bioflavonoids 25mg and Rose Hips 14mg as one tablet.

Vitamin B6 100mg as Pyridoxine Hydrochloride and Dicalcium Phosphate as one tablet

Vitamin E-200 i.u as d-Alpha Tocopherols d-Beta d-Gamma and d-Delta Totopherols as one capsule

I could list the benefits for each but a regular google search will get anyone most of the information if they're interested. I have another 4 weeks of taking the above, then I am to take a 4 week break then resume them again.

Paul Osborne
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Paul Osborne » Mon 03 Apr 2006 12:44 pm

Sounds like things are going really well. Fills me with hope that my own goes as well. At the moment I cant complain at all.

I am using suplements as well - not quite as targetted as yours: vit C, multivitamin, cod liver oil, berocca and echinaeua (sp?).

Seeya

Paul

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 03 Apr 2006 12:45 pm

Knight and Jay

Did you start your supplements pre op, or wait until after your surgery?

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Knight
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Knight » Mon 03 Apr 2006 1:20 pm

I had started the Vit C just by sheer chance exactly a week before the op, but then once I got out of hospital, I started rest that same day.

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Mon 03 Apr 2006 1:24 pm

Andrew

I had starting taking them in the present stack around 2 weeks before the op...and still do to this day...

I think these, and the higher protein consumption has definately been a reason of increased recovery; in my opinion

J
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -

(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 03 Apr 2006 1:27 pm

Jay

It's well worth a try.

Will follow suit and report progress, when my graft comes round.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”