Quicktopic posts: Sep 2002

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

marcus

Postby marcus » Tue 24 Sep 2002 3:17 pm

hi all, ive recently been diagnosed with Keratoconus. Im just looking for a few people to talk it over with. Anyone there?

Laura

Postby Laura » Tue 24 Sep 2002 4:18 pm

Hi Marcus, I have had KC for a while and never known anything about it till I found this web site. It's been very useful so far if you wanna say hi I'll help u all I can I cud do with a friend myself! Hlooby@aol.com

sarah marsh

Postby sarah marsh » Wed 25 Sep 2002 1:55 am

hiya everyone
well just thought i would let u all know that yesterday (24th) my eye opened and stayed open all day ! the op eye is brilliant at the moment, 6 weeks after op! it feels strange being able to see through that eye but what a fantanstic feeling ! best thing was it was also my birthday that day and what a great present to be able to see with 2 eyes!
my 3 and a half year old nephew was just as excited as me and pointed that i lok better with 2 eyes now !!! cheeky !
love sarah

sarah marsh

Postby sarah marsh » Wed 25 Sep 2002 2:01 am

marcus
hello and welcome to the group !
i have just had a corneal transplant in my left eye ( 6 weeks ago ).
i was told i had keratoconus since 1991.
you will find this site a godsend , everyone is helpful on here and feel free to ask any questions , i know i certainly did !
im no expert but feel free to email me on STARLIGHT7723366@AOL.COM and i will try and answer any questions, or just a chat !
love sarah

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Wed 25 Sep 2002 3:54 am

Hi Sarah, That's great news! Glad to hear things are progressing well for you now. Oh, and Happy Birthday for yesterday. Take care. SUE

Carole Woodruff

Postby Carole Woodruff » Wed 25 Sep 2002 9:50 am

Sarah,
Happy Birthday. Hope your lump cleared up with the chloramphenicol (antibiotic). I had viral conjunctivitis in both my grafted and non-grafted eyes Feb last year. This was only 2 months after the op and I really worried about rejection. There was no treatment and I found the whole thing very stressful with no vision for 4 weeks because I couldn't wear my right corneal lens. Anyway I managed, became very friendly with Richard and Judy!! I walked my twins to school blind and probably ignored anyone who waved to us. Friends were very helpful too. Thought it would never get any better but of course it did. Hope your infection has now cleared up. It shouldn't affect your graft. Great to hear your eyes are now open.

For scleral lens wearers,

I have found an alternative to Ami-dose saline which is available on prescription. It is Steripod Blue Saline 0.9%, 20ml and comes in boxes of 25. My GP prescribed me 3 boxes for the prescription charge of £6.20. A better alternative to the £43 I was paying for 4 boxes of 12 ampoules direct from Abatron who manufacture Ami-dose.

Tony Stigle

Postby Tony Stigle » Thu 26 Sep 2002 5:54 am

Marcus

There might be some one living near you that you can contact.. Have a look on the main website under

Contact list:- (now 60! listed)

http://www.keratoconus-group.org.uk

Dont forget there is a live online chat area too! Arange a meeting?

Roger B.. East Sussex

Postby Roger B.. East Sussex » Thu 26 Sep 2002 5:55 am

I pledge £50 to the sponsored walk.. Well done all

Mikekeratoconus@aol.com

Postby Mikekeratoconus@aol.com » Thu 26 Sep 2002 4:25 pm

Mamy thanks for all the good wishes over the Walk. Now we all need to chase all those generous sponsors. Special thanks to all who took part especially Sue Ingram and Colin, Jill Oliver and Mark -- without all of them we could not have achieved the distance we did. Not forgetting all the others who gave up their time to join in.Anne deserves a medal having been injured on the first day and going on to complete the distance.
On saline solution, my GP has been prescribing Steripod Blue for about four years. He now prescribes 6 boxes at a time which makes an enormous saving.

Carole Woodruff

Postby Carole Woodruff » Fri 27 Sep 2002 11:14 am

To all the walkers,

Congratulations. I will post a cheque in the next few days.

Mike,

Your GP sounds generous! I'll ask mine if my practice can stretch to 6 boxes as well next time I need some. Do you also use the steripod blue to rinse off the miraflow? That would also be a huge saving because I use loads. Prob more than I need to.

To anyone contemplating scleral lenses. I am now wearing mine for 12 hours a day and have to say I find them a lot more comfortable than I ever found rgps. For some reason the right un-grafted eye feels more comfortable than the left grafted one. My eyesight is much sharper in the left non-keratoconic eye.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”