Quicktopic posts: Aug 2002

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

John Smith

Postby John Smith » Thu 22 Aug 2002 5:36 am

Hello Nick,

Sounds like you were being offerred a "lamellar" graft - one that is not full thickness. I think that it is harder to do, but as you say, much less a chance of rejection,
I'm suffering a rejection episode at the moment, and basically taking steroid drops every hour (and other drops to counter the pressure-raising effects of the steroids twice a day) - basically the same regime that was used immediately post-op (but without the antibiotic drops I used then.)
If the rejection gets out of hand, I would have been admitted so a nurse could wake ma every hour to put the drops in, and an injection into the cornea with more steroids.
Hope this helps. Food luck, and keep the group informed of your progress.
John

Smithbrown

Postby Smithbrown » Thu 22 Aug 2002 4:01 pm

John
Glad to hear you are on the mend. Hope it goes well. I had an appointment next week but have just been told that it has been postponed to October. After an initial panic I realised that there is nothing wrong at the moment - my sight is good and improving. I have the occasional twinge and soreness - mostly in the morning - but it soon goes.
Robert

>
< replied-to message removed by QT >

ulka patel

Postby ulka patel » Fri 23 Aug 2002 3:45 am

hi
sorry i have been lost for some time
i have had an inflamation in my right eye and the doc has adviced not to wear my lens for 3 weeks. apparently is not severe but only minute. can anyone tell me what their experience has been with an inflamation. i have had it for the first time in 13 years of wearing gp keratoconus lenses.
i am having such a rough time because my other eye has severe keratoconus so i am still in the process of getting a better fitting lens, so cant see with that eye and the eye with the inflammation cant see with glasses too well. i feel like i am handicapped. havent been going to work for 2 weeks now. last week i visited the doc who said my inflammation has settled, but the minute i wore my lens , my eye got red again, now the doc has asked me to rest another 2 weeks. i am hating it so much. havent been able to go anywhere, cant read or watch tv. its so boring.

also i have another query, can anyone help me. my left eye has severe keratoconus. and right is not too bad. i am at a stage where doc has adviced surgery, and at the same time i want to also start a family. doc says i can wait with the surgery for 2 to 3 years if i want. cant decide which to go for first. i hear that if i do have my transplant first then there could be a risk of rejection during pregnancy due to hormonal changes. has anyone had a baby just after a transplant? if yes what has been your experience. please write to me if you can help
i am 26 years old.
thanking you in advance.

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Fri 23 Aug 2002 4:01 am

Dear Nick (873), Sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems with your lenses at the moment. Before you go full speed ahead with any surgery, have scleral lenses been suggested to you? I think those of us who wear them think they are the 'best thing since sliced bread' compared with some of the trials and tribulations of rgp corneals, which I have worn for over 20 years so know all about! If you cannot get anywhere with your optometrist and are interested in investigating this as an option (doesn't mean it will work for you but its definitely worth a try), please email me on sue.ingram@virgin.net and I can give you further details. By the way, where do you live? Take care and keep us up-dated with your progress. SUE

Bob Hillcock

Postby Bob Hillcock » Fri 23 Aug 2002 5:39 pm

Dear Ulka
Sorry to hear of your problems,I can appreciate how you feel as I am in the same position at the moment.I have been off work since July 23rd with an ulcer on my cornea left eye which is the bad one.Went to eye casualty and they said I had to rest both eyes from lenses and they sent the lenses away to a lab.I had been wearing my lenses for up to 18 hours a day sometimes and they said they need a good rest.In future I must try and limit use to 8/10 hours a day.
I feel pretty useless too,can't drive.read or watch telly and really want to get back to work now.
I went to consultant today(fri) and had a fitting and should get the lenses by the first week in september.
Anyway keep your chin up,its important to give your eyes a rest and let them recover,try and get as much fresh air to them as poss,this will really help,so go for a long walk (but dont get lost)and you'll soon be back to work and moaning that you need a break.
Cheers for now
Bob

Carole Woodruff

Postby Carole Woodruff » Sat 24 Aug 2002 4:11 pm

Ulka

Am sorry to hear about your recent problems and you too Bob. It is ages since I have contributed to this site, but I do try to keep up with it as much as possible.

I have had 2 transplants to my left eye. First one in 1992. I was advised to have a baby first which is what I did. The baby (now 10 yrs old) was 4 months old when I had the op and he came into hospital with me as I was feeding him! I remember the day after the surgery. Following his morning feed he slept pretty much all day! Must have been some of the anaesthetic drugs getting into his system!!

I had my second transplant in Dec 2000. Much worse experience this time round but all is well with the graft apart from the fact that I can't even read the first big letter on the eye chart with it!!! Before, with the other graft I could read down to line 3 although very ghosty.

I know what it's like to be stuck at home with no sight. 2 months following the second transplant I contracted a viral conjunctivitis in my right eye and then in the left. Pus was literally oozing and I was very anxious. Had lots of trips to the hospital and didn't think I'd ever be able to wear my right rgp lens again but after 4 weeks things did clear up and all was well. Ulka, is there anyone who can take you out? One friend took me to the gym regularly. I was able to work out but am sure I appeared rude to lots of people who may have waved at me! Also shopped at Tesco's. Enough vision not to crash trolley into people but couldn't read signs and had to put face right up to things! Tesco staff and friend were a great help. I also managed to walk my twins to school and beg lifts from a friend for my other son. I can't say I would like to repeat any of this.

On another note now.

I had the second transplant because of lens wearing problems with the first. Superb vision but for the 6 years that I wore the 9mm hard boston lens I encountered many trips to various eye depts with what I thought may be rejection episodes. Typically my eye would go a bit red and water, plus sting like crazy. A week or so of predsol drops and omitting the lens would sort it out. I was eventually referred to a surgeon who suggested 1) Leave it alone 2) "Play with it to try and improve the shape" or 3) another graft. Scleral lenses were never mentioned nor the fact that this charity exists. Nor did anyone mention that I am more at risk of rejection with a second graft in the same eye. The plan was to get a better shape, less astigmatism. I knew the opposite may happen and that's what did happen.

I met Ken Pullen at the KC conference and was disturbed when he looked totally flabbergasted

carole woodruff

Postby carole woodruff » Sat 24 Aug 2002 4:27 pm

Have just noticed that my message has abruptly ended on a cliffhanger!!! Don't know how I've managed to lose the rest of my tale and must go. But the end result is a happy one with me wearing sclerals!

Did say that Ken looked flabbergasted at the news that I'd had a healthy clear cornea removed for a new one without ever having heard of sclerals. Had I met Ken sooner or known about this site then I'm sure I would have a different story to tell.

Carole.

John Smith

Postby John Smith » Sat 24 Aug 2002 5:52 pm

The Saga Continues...

The rejection episode is now well and truly over. The steroid drops have reduced back to 4 times a day, and vision in that eye has improved. The consultanr isn't sure whether the cornea has stabilised yet, as it's a different shape to a couple of weeks ago (not altogether bad, as there's less astygmatism than before).

Now for the bad news. Vision in my "natural" eye is near enough non-existant - to focus on the top line of the chart, I need a "-18" contact lens AND "-5" glasses on top!
The consultant had told me not to bother with sclerals as by the time I had some, she'd be operating on the other eye. Well, post-rejection, she will now wait ANOTHER year before considering a transplant, so sclerals are now being considered.

I've been sent to Dr. Moodaley (who I think some people here know) with a view to her checking whether sclerals could help me or not. Unfortunately, although I've been lucky enough to come this far privately through my company's BUPA cover, BUPA inform me that nothing regarding contact lenses is covered.

It seems very strange to me that they're happy to pay out several thousand pounds on a graft to rid my right eye from KC, but not several hundred(?) for a lens for the left eye which is suffering from the same condition!

So, the name "Ken Pullam" (where have I heard of him?!) is being bandied about. Guess I'll be probably joining the Moorfields set after all!

John

Ulka Patel

Postby Ulka Patel » Mon 26 Aug 2002 1:08 am

hi carole

thank you for writing back to me. i am sorry to hear what you have been thru. so i guess i should also consider planning a family first.
well i am seeing the doc today, hoping i can resume back to my right lens today.

tell me something........where do you live???
i am interested in nowing if anyone of you live in the usa and where is the best place to get surgery done and is all this covered by insurance??? and what exactly is covered by insurance. my husband is a usa citizen and i am kenyan and we both reside in india. wnat to know that when i need to get my transplant done, is usa a better option then india.

also those visiting moorfields......how do you go about registering there??? are non british citizens considered???? do you just book an appointment or do you need referrals. please tell me.

thank you all in advance. and anyone esle who can be able to answer my previous email.

ulka

>From: QT - Carole Woodruff <qtopic+6-A46Jzt4sJAXLTWnJNHsx@quicktopic.com>
>Reply-To: QT topic <qtopic+6-A46Jzt4sJAXLTWnJNHsx@quicktopic.com>
>To: ulkanp@hotmail.com
>Subject: Keratoconus
>Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 15:11:13 -0500 (CDT)
>

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos:
http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx

Ulka Patel

Postby Ulka Patel » Mon 26 Aug 2002 1:32 am

carole

just one more question. you mentioned u had your first baby before your transp;ant and now i am assuming u had your twins after your first transplant. if i am not wrong, was there any problem you faced with your graft during pregnancy?????

please tell me your experiences.
thanking you in advance

ulka

>From: QT - Carole Woodruff <qtopic+6-A46Jzt4sJAXLTWnJNHsx@quicktopic.com>
>Reply-To: QT topic <qtopic+6-A46Jzt4sJAXLTWnJNHsx@quicktopic.com>
>To: ulkanp@hotmail.com
>Subject: Keratoconus
>Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 15:11:13 -0500 (CDT)
>

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos:
http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx

Return to “General Discussion Forum”