Quicktopic posts: Aug 2002

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

nisah

Postby nisah » Tue 20 Aug 2002 6:37 am

Ian Pearson. Thanks for explaining the procedure - sounds painful, but I am sure the outcome makes it well worthwhile. My son has LOTS of wrinkling in his corneal graft so I understand. Has anyone encountered this problem. His graft is 2 years old now.

Jeet

Postby Jeet » Tue 20 Aug 2002 7:43 am

Ian Pearson
I am glad to hear that your surgery was a success. When the stitches were removed from my right eye in May the cornea partially lifted off the graft, I had to have an emergency op to reattach the graft. I now have severe astigmatism in both eyes I think its 12 diopters, for some reason my eyes no longer tolerate scleral lenses,so this procedure has been discussed.the doctor gave the impression that this was a rare occurance. Could you tell me how long the surgery took and how soon you could see after the op?

Thank you

Jeet
Nisah - I guess my graft could be described as wrinkled as well!

Ian Pearson

Postby Ian Pearson » Tue 20 Aug 2002 9:19 am

JEET The surgery took about 10 minutes and about 2 months later they were able to give me contact Lens and glasses.
The delay was getting an appointment rather than the eye healing that took about two weeks.
Nisah my cornea was wrinkled the cuts act as a means to pull the cornea smooth. I am sure Mr Larkin at Moorfields can explain better than me. I was used as a case study and had 30 or so photo's taken after surgery to show the change.

ali cooper

Postby ali cooper » Tue 20 Aug 2002 12:18 pm

Hi Sarah,

Your Dad maybe thinking about the disolvable stitches which are used by some doctors. I am not sure what the protocol is though for stitches used for the grafts.

Ally

>From: QT - sarah marsh <qtopic+6-A46Jzt4sJAXLTWnJNHsx@quicktopic.com>
>Reply-To: QT topic <qtopic+6-A46Jzt4sJAXLTWnJNHsx@quicktopic.com>
>To: alicooperuk@hotmail.com
>Subject: Keratoconus
>Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 04:54:02 -0500 (CDT)
>

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos:
http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx
< replied-to message removed by QT >

sarah marsh

Postby sarah marsh » Tue 20 Aug 2002 3:40 pm

dear ali
thank you for your reply !
i have since found out that i will have to have stitches out !
but thanx for taking time to reply
love sarah x

Smithbrown

Postby Smithbrown » Tue 20 Aug 2002 4:39 pm

I was rather confused about the removal of stitches as well. I have been told that sometimes they take them out and sometimes they don't! It all depnds on how the cornea 'beds in'. I had a graft in January. At my last clinic visit I was told that I have fairly bad astigmatism (I had adjustmenst to the stitches in April) and that they will probably take the stitches out at the end of the year. I was left thinking that maybe they will and maybe they won't - it all depends!

Back to the clinic next week - I wonder what they will say this time!
Robert

>
< replied-to message removed by QT >

DR. MARTINS BUBA.

Postby DR. MARTINS BUBA. » Tue 20 Aug 2002 8:11 pm

INTERIM MANAGEMET COMMITTEE (IMC)
LAGOS – NIGERIA.
FROM THE DESK OF: DR.MARTINS BUBA.

Sir/Madam

BUSINESS PROPOSAL

Through The courtesy of business opportunity, I take
liberty anchored on strong desire to established business relationship with you to write this letter of request for partnership which I hope you will give your urgent attention.

We are members of Federal Government Interim
Management Committee (IMC)of the PTF (Petroleum Trust Fund), who are interested in commencing an immediate business relationship with you. We hereby solicit strongly for your assistance, to enable us transfer (FOREX) Funds which total US$15.500,000.00 (fifteen Million, Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars) into a reliable personal or company bank account overseas which you have absolute control over.
These funds are presently trapped in the PTF account
with the Central Bank of Nigeria. These are as a result of grossly over-invoiced contracts sum which were executed by the PTF during the chairmanship of Gen. Buhari (rtd) and are presently under erification. To this effect, the present Civilian Government of Nigeria set up the Interim Management
Committee (IMC) of which I am the Vice Chairman to ascertain all monies accrued of the PTF since inception, ascertain all disbursements made by the fund and produce inventory for all projects and commitments entered into by the Fund. During our course of assessment of the activities of the Fund, we have identified a lot of misappropriation and over-invoice of contracts sum, which are presently floating in the suspense account of the Central Bank of Nigeria.
However, when the Chairman (Buhari) of PTF under probe
was invited by the Committee (IMC) for questioning, he could not explain the reasons for the over-invoice of US$15.5M, rather he pleaded with us not to expose him. After due consideration, we (the committee members) decided to transfer the over-inflated sum of US$15.5M into a foreign account for our benefit to avoid him being prosecuted and jailed by the government.
I have been delegated as a matter of capability by my
colleagues, to secure the co-operation of an overseas partner into whose account we could transfer this over-invoiced sum with dispatched for onward
disbursement among us. Please signal your interest by dispatching your name, phone, and fax number through my email address: martinsbuba@mail.com We will share the funds in the ratio, which will be
satisfactory to all concerned under agreement. However, 60% for us (officials), 30% Account owner (you) and 10% to be used in setting all local and foreign expenses incurred which are directly related to this project. Prompt realization is being strongly considered by us over here as our pattern of disbursement.
Please, note that this transaction is 100% risk free
and safe as long as you and I maintain maximum confidentiality and secrecy. I am at disposal to entertain any question(s) from you with respect to this project, so send me the above-mentioned equirements immediately through my email address. I hope this will be the beginning of a fruitful and mutual beneficial business relationship.

Please, treat with strictest confidentiality and
utmost urgency.

Yours faithfully,

DR. MARTINS BUBA.
N.B;DUE TO THE CONFIDENTIALITY OF THIS TRANSACTION,I WILL IMPLORE YOU TO DIVULGE YOUR INTEREST THROUGH MY FAX-LINE:234-1-7597065 CAUSE ALL CORRESPONDING IN THIS TRANSACTION IS GOING TO BE VIAL TEL/FAX AND NOT EMAIL ANYMORE

John Smith

Postby John Smith » Wed 21 Aug 2002 11:32 am

Hello all, and it's good to see you're back, Sarah. Glad to see that your op has gone well.

In my case, I have a single running stitch that zig-zags about 28 times, and I was told that it would begin to dissolve after about 3 years, so would have to be removed before then, probably about 1-3 years post-op.

As for my rejection episode, it's now under control. Thanks to all who wrote back, especially good to hear from Robert who had his op at the same time as mine!

I've now had it confirmed that it was a rejection, not a herpes simplex infection (which would have been much worse apparently!). I'm now back on the hourly steroid drops, reducing to 2-hourly from tomorrow. My optician has told me that the new cornea is "a bit crinkly" round the edge, but it is otherwise not looking too bad.

Seeing the consultant again tomorrow, and I'll keep the grooup posted as to the outcome.

John

umbilica@umbilical.demon.

Postby umbilica@umbilical.demon. » Wed 21 Aug 2002 4:47 pm

Oh no!!

How did we get the 419 fraudsters in here?

Has anyone sent it on to the police fraud office yet?

Rosemary

In response to:

INTERIM MANAGEMET COMMITTEE (IMC)
LAGOS NIGERIA.
FROM THE DESK OF: DR.MARTINS BUBA.

Sir/Madam

BUSINESS PROPOSAL

load of very dodgy stuff snipped

--
Rosemary F. Johnson

Nick Jones

Postby Nick Jones » Wed 21 Aug 2002 5:59 pm

Hello, hope someone can help. I was told at my visit a month or so ago that they would try and find a suitable set of lenses to aid my vision, no mention of surgery as I still had reasonable vision in my right eye. I now have a set of lenses which are okay but my vision is still blurred. At my visit today the consultant discussed surgery. It would not be a full transplant but something else, beginning with an "L", where the surgeon skims the cornea and places a donor cornea over the top - apparently there is less risk of rejection etc etc. For the life of me I cannot remember the name as there were so many questions that I wanted to ask I completely forgot the name of the procedure. If any of you know and in particular if any of you have had this op.
I also need to konw what happens with a rejection and how is it treated.
My email is nickelliot.jones@virgin.com or mail the message board.

Many thanks in advance.
Nick

Return to “General Discussion Forum”