Quicktopic posts: Jul 2002

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Thu 11 Jul 2002 4:41 am

Dear Sam (787)), Sounds like you have protein build-up on your lenses which many of us suffer from. I use Boston cleaner for my corneal lenses which I find is pretty good - put the lens in the palm of your hand, pour on the Boston cleaner and rub well with the 3rd or 4th finger of your other hand and also rub the lens between your finger and thumb to clean the front surface, rinse off the Boston thoroughly with saline and soak in Boston wetting solution overnight. You can also try the protein remover tablets which I have also used in the past. You should be able to get these from your opticians or Boots. I find Miraflow works fine with my scleral lenses - I also put a small amount of Miraflow on the lenses and rinse it off with saline before inserting - this seems to help with lubrication. Hope this helps, but once again you might have to try different methods to find the one that suits you - some people are sensitive to one solution but not to another.

What other methods do people use to clean their lenses (other than washing-up liquid!)? Take care. SUE

Rae

Postby Rae » Thu 11 Jul 2002 4:49 am

Sue
Thanks for your suggestion. I am seeing an optician at the moment; they did refer me to the local eye unit (where the first graft was done) but I was told 'you're wasting our time - come back when it can't be corrected by glasses and we'll talk about a graft'. I was also told that I should be expecting my eyesight to get worse cos I was getting old - I was 33 at the time! Maybe the doctor was having a really bad day.... I live in the midlands. As far as the lenses go, my understanding is that even without the KC there is severe astigmatism and that this is why I can't tolerate them - although I have to say I find it all very confusing! I will talk to my optician about it when I go again. Thanks again for your reply take care Rae

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Thu 11 Jul 2002 5:31 am

Dear Rae, What an awful way to treat people! I am 41 and have had KC for at least 25 years, probably longer. My eyesight has deteriorated (albeit gradually) but this is due to the KC, not old age! Just to clarify something - scleral lenses fit over the whole eye and do not have contact on the cornea which is why they can help with astigmatism. When they say you cannot wear lenses, are they only talking about rgp corneals? Have sclerals been suggested to you? I would definitely pursue this avenue when you see your optician. Ultimately, if you really find that no other solutions are being suggested for you, I believe that you can ask to be referred to Moorfields Eye Hospital in London. I know this is a bit of a trek for you but they are very good and have the most expertise about KC in the UK so it might be worth trying just to see what their opinion is. Take care and let us know how you get on. SUE

Sam

Postby Sam » Thu 11 Jul 2002 5:57 am

Sue,

Thanks for your suggestions, I will try the protien tablets and let you know.

Thanks,

Sam

Peter Nolan

Postby Peter Nolan » Thu 11 Jul 2002 8:30 pm

Hello All,

I've just come across this site and I know I will become a regular. Sharing experiences and knowledge amongst people who actually have the condition, compliments the offical text book information given to us all by our professional friends at the surgery/opticians/hospital/pub.

I've had KC for about 16 years and I've used lenses to correct my vision. I've recently changed optician and I am trying a new material which is great as I now no longer suffer with the cloudiness which I have had to put up with for quite a few years. I did not realise there was such a range of lenses that can be used.

Now that I am happy with my new lenses I have a question for you all.......

When I have my lenses in (which is all the time)my eye lids are nearly always half shut. I am always accused of being drunk. I usually laugh this off but sometimes it gets on my nerves and when I try to explain about my condition people just say why don't you just wear glasses!!! which in my case is just impossible.

I've no idea what my eyes look like when I really am drunk, but I suppose I don't care then!!!!

I am getting married at the end of September and my wonderful girlfriend would like my eye lids open on the day for all the beautiful pictures that will be taken of us. Has anybody got any solution to the droopiness ( of my eyes)????

P.s. To quieten my girlfirend I usually say that I did not have my lenses in when I met her, Ha Ha....

H Patel

Postby H Patel » Fri 12 Jul 2002 4:03 am

Hello everyone,

I am very concerened for my daughter, she is 26 and have had keratoconus condition, severe in one eye and just begining in the other, most probably have this in gene (my son also has the but not as severe as daughter). She use contact lenses at the moment.

We are all so much baffled in taking decision on the issue of
1. when and if at all to have surgery done for cornea replacement
2. she should start family before or after surgery and what are the complications involved during pragnency which may effect operated eye
3. how long can she pull on without replacement surgery and to try alternate therapy, if any, available.
4. already consulted best doctors in the field and have had varied advises and opinions on the issue. Some says to carry on as lond as she can with condition, some say to operate immidiately, some say to have family started after and/or before surgery.

Extremely confused and wish to share view from others who have similar condition and their experiance after surgery and if any of you got pregnant after operation, is there any complication involved during pregnency specially due to transplant operation ?

I will appreciate views and experiances from all of you.

Best wishes to all.

Sam

Postby Sam » Fri 12 Jul 2002 5:17 am

Hi just found this excellent web site.

http://www.postoptics.co.uk

For those who are not familiar with Postoptics, they supply Contact Lenses and solutions at a reasonable price, plus they deliver to your door directly.

E.g. Saline in your local Chemist can be priced between, £2.70 - £2.99, but Postoptics have the same product priced at £2.30.

Just received my first order today, and I only placed the order yesterday morning !!
Lots of freebies aswell.

Sam

jase

Postby jase » Sun 14 Jul 2002 5:50 pm

Hiya, anyone got any ideas or suggestions....

I have had KC for about 15 years and just lately I am having problems with light sensitivity & basicly lens tolerance. My optician doesn't seem very helpful he just keeps taking the lens from me an adjusting it. I have to then manage for a few days without the lens to let my eye recover. When I put it back in it ok for a while & it starts all over again. I would be grateful for any suggestions or to hear from anyone who has had a similar problem.

Jan Fisher

Postby Jan Fisher » Mon 15 Jul 2002 6:51 am

Dear Sue (785) Sorry for not thanking you for your suggestion before, but I am without lenses again for 3 weeks. The hospital have decided that my dry eye problem is too bad again to wear anyting at the moment. Back to squinting again!! I love dairy products so it might be worth a try, I do rather over indulge on cheese & milk, it would be just my luck to have to give up something else I like. Sods law.

Ta again Jan

Jan Fisher

Postby Jan Fisher » Mon 15 Jul 2002 6:54 am

Another question thisw time for anyone who knows anything about having your eye ducts plugged. What does it involve? it sounds revolting! I have been told it could help to improve my dry eye problem. Have any of you any experience of this, I would love to have your comments

Return to “General Discussion Forum”