Stitches

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Sun 19 Mar 2006 2:34 pm

Alison,

My grafts pre-date the topography scans that are done now.

In March 2004 by vision in the right eye suddenly detreorated. That eye was grafted in 1989. By August I noticed the vision still deteriorating but my GP gave me the all clear to go motor racing in Germany, but found the nightime near impossible but still kept racing :shock:

When I returned, eventually got hospiatl referal brought forward and found I was not legal to drive let alone race.

What had happend was the cornea the graft is attached to decided it was going to develop KC so that is pulling the graft out of shape. The position is so awkward I have been told regraft is a distinct no no. Back on the contacts that point towards my nose as the cone is so far of centre at the margin.

My average apptment has me, optomatrist, professor from Aston University (sometimes 2) and at least one student. I am introduced to them as the patient whos KC has taken such a rare turn they are unlikely to see another such case in their working lifetime :D

Freak, special, unique?

You decide :D

As I search the web, I have found others like me, but such instances are still extremely rare.
Gareth

Alison Fisher
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Alison Fisher » Sun 19 Mar 2006 2:50 pm

My decision? Extremely unlucky. :( Cursed comes to mind as well. :(

Ah the room full of 'interested people'. sigh That gets very old very quickly doesn't it? :( I was very pleased when that stopped happening to me as I saw it as a sign I was drifting back towards being more 'run of the mill' rather than someone 'unusual'.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Sun 19 Mar 2006 2:53 pm

Alison,

At the time needed a graft, all lens options exhausted so had nothing to loose. Had quite good race carear on the semi-professional circuit post graft. Only just fail the sight test with left eye, otherwise I would still race.

Still, it is nice to be the centre of attention sometimes :D Even if it can get a bit friendly in a 3 x 1 meter room :oops:
Gareth

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Sun 19 Mar 2006 3:53 pm

LOl Gareth!

I think many have been the centre of attention during some stages of the KC treatment.......I think my worse has been 9 people plus the Optician in a very small room!.......this actually was last year..when I was going through the Piggy Back.....but sometimes its cool to see peoples reactions when they see the cornea under the lamp!.......However, one thing I have never done is be at the other side of the slit lamp! to see what the optometrist sees!.....

J
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Alison Fisher
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Alison Fisher » Sun 19 Mar 2006 3:59 pm

On my first out patient appointment after my second graft the doc got two students to look at my eye without first telling them what I'd had done. Their shocked reaction was decidedly unprofessional but highly amusing to me. :lol:

One guy who was fitting me with lenses one time gave me a mirror so I could see what he could see. Under the UV light I looked like something out of a horror movie. :lol: Hubbie would probably say I look like that in any light but I'd see to it that he lived to regret it. :twisted: :lol:

Sweet
Committee
Committee

Postby Sweet » Sun 19 Mar 2006 5:02 pm

Hehe when i did the study day at Moorfields i spent a lot of time looking through the slit lamp. Corneal abrasions and ulcers when stained are actually really neat and make some intersting patterns like looking at frost on the window! Although having been there myself i understood why the patients were far from amused! :roll:

Only thing was my vision wasn't good enough to see that well and looking with one eye through a slit lamp kinda misses half of the picture!

Sweet X x X
Sweet X x X

Return to “General Discussion Forum”