Quicktopic posts: May 2002

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Freddy Bull

Postby Freddy Bull » Mon 20 May 2002 4:11 pm

Dear Emma

Great news in your last post! Knock 'em dead! It is great to hear you so bright.

Freddy

Gillian

Postby Gillian » Tue 21 May 2002 4:42 pm

I would like to thank everyone for their contributions. I have learnt a lot from this message board and it is comforting to hear from other people with KC.

Does anyone have problems with RGP in hot climates? I went to Italy last year and found my lenses extremely uncomfortable. I have spoken to my optician who tells me it is the humidity and advises Refresh and Gel Tears. Has anyone got any suggestions. It is a big minus to holidays!! I never have this problem in the UK and I think the plane starts it off.

Janet Manning

Postby Janet Manning » Tue 21 May 2002 6:06 pm

Dear Nicola,
Thanks for details. Will be in touch. One more assignment to finish! Then I will get on with the booklet.
Best wishes Janet

Nicola Thomas

Postby Nicola Thomas » Wed 22 May 2002 3:00 am

Janet, Dave, Emma and all those with assignments and exams looming...

Good luck! I hope your KC doesn't cause you any extra stress.

Best wishes
Nicola

Tony Stigle

Postby Tony Stigle » Wed 22 May 2002 4:44 am

Hi... all
Just a reminder to please ensure your details in the contacts page are up to date..
Also for those new contributors who have found this QuickTopic page but with out the UK keratoconus self help & support groups web the detail are http://www.keratoconus-group.org.uk.
Many of the questions asked on QT can be answered from the site. Many can be found by searching previous postings on QT by downloading "Discussion page as a file"
Thank you to all those you contribute.. & make this site so useful.. "The KC Soap Opera"

Tony Stigle

Emma Reilly

Postby Emma Reilly » Wed 22 May 2002 7:48 am

Hi all, Emma again!

Just about to go into my German now! AAHHHH! To be honest I don't think it will be that hard cos it only lasts 40minutes. Mum and Dad got me a dog for my B-day, a little yorkshire terrier, he is so cute. Anyway wish me luck,

Emma

Srikanth Reddi

Postby Srikanth Reddi » Wed 22 May 2002 3:22 pm

I am now using contact lenses for keratoconus eye disorder for my right eye. Is there a possibility that i will get it for my left eye also.

Sallie Mercer

Postby Sallie Mercer » Thu 23 May 2002 3:35 pm

Does anyone know of an insurance company that insures contact lenses? I have been using the same company for many years but they have now decided to only do contact lens insurance as part of their insurance policy for the content of houses. I use a different insurance company for my house contents insurance and I didn't particularly want to change everything over just for the sake of the contact lenses.So I am looking for an insurance company that is prepared to insure the lenses on their own. Moorfields Hospital state that they are not allowed to give any information about insurance xompanies. Any ideas? Many thanks.

Helen Scholar

Postby Helen Scholar » Fri 24 May 2002 6:33 pm

I have a 13 year old son who started with KC aged 10 and a half. Right eye pretty hopeless, left deteriorating but still helped by glasses at the moment. I'm wondering whether I should contact the VI service in the Education Department NOW in case he needs support between glasses and lenses. If he does I'll want immediate help not 6 months of bureaucracy, as happens often with assessments for special needs. Anyone any advice/experience? We live in Bolton.

freddy

Postby freddy » Sun 26 May 2002 6:35 am

Helen

You are right about starting the process of asking for help early! I am responsible for Special Needs in a large secondary school and have KC. I think it helps hugely if you are able to "educate" the school. Teachers are usually very willing and helpful when they know what is needed for your son to cope, eg avoiding bright lights, very large text. But we have so many disorders presented to us by young people few schools can research and educate the staff adequately. I suggest you ask the school to inform all staff about you son's needs because it is hard for children themselves to do it.

I would suggest that as you son transfers to a new school, which will be in the near future I guess, arrange to meet and discuss his needs. It is a usual course of action for special needs. The vision impaired service can help, as can a Statement for you son's special needs. You are right to suggest that this can be a slow and bureaucratic process. Sadly in the light of high demands and smaller budgets many local education authorities are spending less on SEN now as well. Getting you son's consultant on board may also help, both for the school and the Statement process.

Finally Anne Klepacz is putting together a booklet/letter for schools to inform them of the nature of KC and how to assist young people with KC in school.

Best wishes to you both, Freddy

Return to “General Discussion Forum”