Quicktopic posts: May 2002

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Helen Scholar

Postby Helen Scholar » Sun 26 May 2002 4:20 pm

Thanks for your response Freddy. Joe is already in secondary school - year 8 - and the school does know he has a visual impairment. At present all staff know he needs to sit near the board etc. His better eye is good enough to manage most things, with glasses sometimes although he's not keen. I think the glasses improve things in some directions but not others!
It would be really helpful to know what has helped other children(and adults)to manage as well as possible. Also Joe has only one useful eye at present (hope that will change when the decision is made to start with lenses) and I wonder whether I should speak to school on Health & Safety to protect the better one. This has only recently been suggested to me although it's been in the back of my mind. Should he be doing certain sports etc? What do others think? (He hates sport actually. so would probably be delighted but I haven't mentioned it to him!) Also he does a lot of music - any tips there anyone (reading the music; techniques for managing, memory etc)
Finally I think a leaflet would be really helpful - how would I get hold of it when it's available?

Pierre Clavilier

Postby Pierre Clavilier » Mon 27 May 2002 3:38 am

Hello evrybody,

I am Pierre Clavilier. I live in France but I use to come
in UK to cure my KC. I were scleral lenses witch are a very
good solution, whith them we save my view withou any
surgeon Ken Pullum made this miracle.

Since some months I have some white secretions on my eyes
and it make me a milki vieuw. Is there anaybody who can
explain me what is the origine.

Thank too evreybody.

Pierre

Amanda Stigle

Postby Amanda Stigle » Tue 28 May 2002 2:11 pm

Hello pierre
Maybe the milky film is due to the cleaning solution you use, I used to get a similar problem I then changed my cleaning solution to miraflow. This worked for me.

Shelley

Postby Shelley » Tue 28 May 2002 11:02 pm

Bonjour Pierre!

Avec ce que vous souffrez est une condition appelee les hydrops. C'est ou la membrane au fond de la cornee, qui separe le fluide aqueux de l'avant de la cornee, est rompue parce qu'elle est etiree tellement par le keratoconus. Ceci signifie que certaines des fuites liquides dans la vision corneenne de zone et de nuages avec un modele typique laiteux, juste comme vous ont decrit. Ceci prend habituellement une question des mois a l'espace libre suffisamment. J'espere que vous etes aussi bien que pouvez etre!

Beaucoup de sinceres amities,

Shelley xxx

Amanda Stigle

Postby Amanda Stigle » Thu 30 May 2002 5:13 am

Dear Pierre
We can only offer advice and support if you have any concerns that your vision has deteriorated you should seek medical advice.
But from what you have said so far it does not sound like hydrops. Hydrops like Shelley said is when a corneal layer (called the descemets layer) ruptures the aqueous fluid(resevoir of fluid within the cornea) floods the eye, causing considerable discomfort,pain and loss of vision. The severity depending on the extent of the hydprops.
There are other possibilities it is often a case of illimination.
I am sorry that I can not write in French. Another time I could get a translation done first, but it would take longer of course.
If you want to talk further you can email me on astigle@aol.com

Return to “General Discussion Forum”