Hello again

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Richard In Wales
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Hello again

Postby Richard In Wales » Tue 14 Mar 2006 1:05 am

Sorry I have not been here for a while. I've been a bit quiet since my op lately :(

Still having probs with the astigmatism its at -6 now. I have a very large hard contact that I can wear but only for a short time and some days it makes my eye very sore. Although with it in my vision is brilliant, I think wearing the lens reminds me of what I have lost and what I can't do any more.

Never mind I will just have to battle on and get on with it.

I saw an advert tonight about disposable soft lenses for astigmatism but I missed the name again. Does anyone know the name ?
http://www.Borg-Zone.co.uk/eyelog.htm Visit My last graft Blog Site

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 14 Mar 2006 7:49 am

Borg

I expended the entire sum of my Welsh vocabulary on another string. Still in for a penny, here it is again:

Bore da !

I think the lens you mean belongs to the acu vue family. I've seen that ad, too.

Are you back on the bike?

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Tue 14 Mar 2006 8:43 am

Borg,

You have asimilar level of astigmatism as I do in my grafted eye, but I have a small lens.

To tolerate the lens for more than a couple of hours I need to use lubricating eye drops instead of artificial tears. Also need to stay in areas where hunidity is above 40% otherwise weartime is well down.

Perhaps drops will help you too.
Gareth

Richard In Wales
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Richard In Wales » Tue 14 Mar 2006 10:50 am

I have a huge lens which covers the front of the eye and goes over and around the scar tissue. I really like it. It's the first time for ages I have felt a lens actually fit. I have a stupidly small one in the non Op eye which falls out at the first chance. I want to get them to use a larger one in that eye.

I use Liquifilm Tears drops in my eyes at the moment.

I should use the lens more I think and maybe my eye would get used to it but to be honest with the state of my eye I'm a bit scared in case it rubs it and courses any sore points or ulcers.
http://www.Borg-Zone.co.uk/eyelog.htm Visit My last graft Blog Site

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Wed 15 Mar 2006 9:19 pm

Hi there..

There are several disposable lenses for astigmatism but sadly they are for VERY low levels of astigmatism. They will not go any way towards correcting your -6.00.

There are non-disposable soft lenses like Kerasoft that will correct astigmatism up to your level - but generally the vision tends to be less reliable than an RGP like you are wearing. Often it becomes a matter of comfort versus maximal vision - but then again, reasonable vision for a long period may win out against brilliant vision for short periods!

Lynn

Return to “General Discussion Forum”