Bit of a shock today

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

mzfp2
Contributor
Contributor

Bit of a shock today

Postby mzfp2 » Mon 13 Mar 2006 3:53 pm

I suffered hydrops in my right eye lastt yearr in August, and went alomg later to see a consultant in Blackburn hospital fgfew months later who told me he would place me on the waiting list for a graft, and could expect the operation in January / February of 2007.

However I received a letter today, stating I have a pre op assesment on 23rd March, and due in for surgery on April 6th, only a few weeks away! I was pretty shocked, a little panicky, only my family know so far, I still havent got used to the idea, but as both my eyes have advanced KC, and my right eye has not healed after the hydrops I guess I gotta be brave n get it done!

Just quick questions, is it painful? and how long do you have to stay indoors for? ... I dont wanna miss out on the summer!

Muz

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Mon 13 Mar 2006 4:09 pm

Welcome, sounds like the doc got their years mixed up!

Is it painful, not realy, it is more extreme soreness for a couple of days and then mild irritation for a week or so later.

Likely to be in hospital overnight, some like to keep you in for a day or two.

As for going out and about, all say this is doable but you will need to wear an eyeshield. The length of time this is for differs from doc to doc.

You should not miss out on summer, but remember we all heal at different rates, some get good visibility after a couple of months, some it is more like two years. Once the graft has settled, sight will probably be corrected with glasses, but the presecription will change as sutures are removed gradually.

Any more questions, just ask away.
Gareth

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 13 Mar 2006 4:55 pm

mzfp2

That would be a shock! Pick yourself up, draw a deep breath and go forward. Maybe its better to learn at short notice that your operation is approaching; gives you less time to brood on things.

do you know if you are having a PK graft (the full thickness of the Cornea) or a DALK graft?

My only experience is of PK. After I got over the initial insult to my eye there was no pain at all. this was a relief in itself as I had suffered pain in my eye for some time. I do wear very dark glasses because I do still have a degree of photophobia.

You will get used to eye shields when out and about. You will probably have to wear an eye shield also while you sleep.

Oh, and do not be too disappointed when you come out of surgery if your sight is not 6/6. It takes time; for some a matter of weeks and for others a matter of many months. The important thing is that you will be healing.

Let us know how the pre-op assessment goes, and the surgery.

Yours aye

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Mon 13 Mar 2006 6:01 pm

Blimey that was a shock!!!.....I tell you that is service; as such!

There isnt much Pain to be honest, maybe about 3-5 days worth of uncomfort and possibly a headache but thats it

J
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Rob Armstrong
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Rob Armstrong » Mon 13 Mar 2006 11:28 pm

Overall I think being told at relatively short notice may be better. I waited 7 months, which isn't long in the grand scheme of things, but was the longest Autumn ever! I was dreading it while at the same time wishing it could be over and done with.

Would have been good to just make like a bear and hibernate through that time really!

For part of that time I was told I may get a cancellation at short notice - had me in a cold sweat everytime the phone rang!

As for hospitals getting dates wrong, I received a hospital letter on Saturday informing me I had an appointment for 6 months ago! I'm assuming they mean next August but I'm gonna have to ring them and check.

As for the operation itself, I was home in time for tea! Although I just curled up on the sofa and was in and out of sleep for the evening. I was still groggy the next afternoon for my checkup - so that'd probably explain why I didn't find it painful, more uncomfortable. You've just got to take things step by step in the weeks and months that follow.

Anyway, good luck with your graft, hope it all works out for you.

Rob.

Richard In Wales
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Richard In Wales » Tue 14 Mar 2006 1:39 am

Mine burst in August 2004, I had my Op in October 2004.

Now after the op and all the after care I was told that if I had waited until it had fiberised( my be the wrong word) that the operation would have been better. I was in agony though and they wouldn't give me pain killers for some reason.

I was put on dyhidracodie for the last week before the operation and was managing but the operation had been set.

If I had know I would have opted for a few more weeks of pain killers and waited..

Now this is my person account and not all eyes are the same, the reason why it would have been better to wait for ME was the eye was in a very very bad state and it was like sawing a patch onto worn cloth. The eye was/is weaker then the graft lens.
http://www.Borg-Zone.co.uk/eyelog.htm Visit My last graft Blog Site

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 14 Mar 2006 7:23 am

Borg, Bore da

What a diasterous time you have had! How are things now?

It all comes down to informed consent. You say that if you had known then what you know now you'd have preferred to spend more time on painkillers (dyhyrdocodine is a pretty effective pain killer) to give your eye time to settle down.

Your question has to be, "why did notbody tell you, so that you could make an informed decision about surgery.

Seriously, Borg; it is good to see you back, but I am desperately sorry about this situation.

Hwyl fawr

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”