Quicktopic posts: Nov 2001

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Amanda Stigle

Postby Amanda Stigle » Fri 02 Nov 2001 5:22 am

Dear lawrence I had a similar problem about four years ago, except my lenses hardly ever fell on my lap! I was then introduced to Scleral lenses.Takes a bit of getting used to at first but once you have.Fantastic!And the lenses will definately not fall out. If you have any other questions or worries about scleral lenses please ask.

Lawrence Freeman

Postby Lawrence Freeman » Fri 02 Nov 2001 9:46 am

Amanda and Jacqueline,
It's very annoying when the lenses fall out like that. It happens too frequently. I could just be standing talking to someone and they just pop out. I have been told before that I don't blink properly and that is why my eyes are always dry, so if they're dry and I look out of the corner of my eye...you can guess the rest! They mustn't be the correct fit either.

I have seen the sclerals before and the optician who showed me said "Don't be frightened by these", so I expected the worse. They are a lot bigger than the RGPs I have in at the minute and I just can't imagine putting them in. He also said that they are extremely comfortable as they rest on the non-sensitive part of the eye. We'll just have to see (no pun intended) what the guys at the hospital have to say when I see them in three weeks. I've a lot to tell them.

Thanks again,
Lawrence.

Mike Oliver

Postby Mike Oliver » Fri 02 Nov 2001 5:30 pm

Hallo all. Lawrence, I go along with what others have said about sclerals. They are big but once you get used to putting them in that doesn't seem aproblem. I can say that in 37 years of wearing them I have never had one pop or fall out.The great thing is to know what your options are and to push for the chance to try any which may help.Look forward to hearing how you get on.
The London meeting on 20th October was well attended and there was alively and stimulating discussion about the hospital eye service generally and related issues as well Moorfields in particular. These are being summarised and will be published here and elsewhere asap.No London meetings are currently planned until March-- but if enough people would like to meet before thenthis could be arranged. Post a message if you are interested or even if not

Jacqueline Cheetham

Postby Jacqueline Cheetham » Sun 04 Nov 2001 3:22 pm

Hello All, Just to follow on with the scleral lens topic. I found them excellent for swimming in, I didn't get any of the nasty stinging in my eyes that I got before I had them. Also, not to make light of the problems we have. But I lived in the Middle East for a couple of years and they keep the sand out of your eyes a treat. I can't speak highly enough of them, they are worth a go.

Dave Hamblett

Postby Dave Hamblett » Mon 05 Nov 2001 12:17 pm

Hey all
Ive just come back from the clinic havin found out i have ke and its good to see the web page with loads of others on it. Been told i need contacts which dosent worry me to much as i have had them before but loads of people on here seem to have trouble with them. Is it to do with the ke as i understand they are special contact lnses or just as people get used to wearing them?

John Smith

Postby John Smith » Mon 05 Nov 2001 2:11 pm

Hi Dave,

Don't worry about the contact lenses, but if your eyes have been "normal" in the past, you've probably worn soft lenses. These are unsuitable for KC, but generally aren't too bad (although I suffer from dust getting under my RGP ones).

The other choice is the very large scleral lenses, which seem to be out of this world in terms of size, but are allegedly very comforatble once you're used to them.

Emma

Postby Emma » Mon 05 Nov 2001 2:35 pm

Hi Dave.
I was diagnosed with KC in the summer and have been wearing RGP lenses for about 2 months now. I had never worn contacts before, but I have found these RGPs absaloutely fine. Within a few days I forgot I even had them in!! The only problem I have had is not blinking enough at the begginning so a bit hard to get them out a few times. But that is fine now and I am really really pleased with them! Good luck with yours. Emma

Susan

Postby Susan » Tue 06 Nov 2001 5:50 pm

Hallo everyone, I was diagnosed with KC in 1966 and was fitted with sceral pmma lenses by Mr Trodd. I always seemed to be a guinea pig on everyone's trials, including Ken. Recently I have been struggling due to old aged long-sightedness![wearing reading glasses for close work]. Ken tried again to fit me up with gp scerals. For the first time in my life I have been able to keep lenses in for over 4hours at a time. Today I managed 9.5 hours. The vision isn't as distinct as with pmma but it is great not to keep grabbing the reading glasses. the gps are larger than even my pmma lenses and it is particularly hard to get the right one in and out but its goig to be worth the struggle.

Kevin Sargant

Postby Kevin Sargant » Wed 07 Nov 2001 6:30 am

Hi,

Its been a while since I,ve visited the site as my eyes have been fairly good. Last week, I was told by my surgeon (Mr Daya based at Queen Victoria Hopital in East Grinsted), that I had a nodule on my left eye. I have now had it removed by laser surgery (PTK).

I'm not looking forward to the next few weeks of not wearing a lens in my right eye. Its back to stuggling with one GRP lens in my left eye and specs.

Has anyone else had similar problems with these nodules ?

Kevin

andy hirst

Postby andy hirst » Wed 07 Nov 2001 6:23 pm

Hi, everyone just found the site. My opticians told me I had KC about16 years ago I was referred to the hospital at the time but they found no evidence of KC. Anyway my optician managed to get me good vision with rgp's, although I have had a problem with the left eye recently. Anyway my question is are there any more sufferers in the Sheffield area and if so where are you treated as I think my optician has reached his limits.
Also I read a lot about grafts, I would have thought the biggest problem with grafts would be getting donor corneas, or is this not the case
Hope to hear from you soon
Andy

Return to “General Discussion Forum”