Quicktopic posts: Nov 2001

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Jacqueline Cheetham

Postby Jacqueline Cheetham » Sun 18 Nov 2001 1:14 pm

I've just read through the mails posted regarding the problems of night driving. I wouldn't want this to be taken the wrong way. But, I was pleased to see them. I really thought it was just me. I have been having awful problems, I have decided that it is easy to stick to the bigger roads when possible as I get less hot under the collar if I can follow someones tail lights. I 'see' the most wonderful things when I'm driving at night. Sometimes when a huge lorry is coming at me, I'm convinced that UFO's have landed... Someone once suggested to me that you can buy 'night driving' sunglasses. Has anyone else heard of these?

Scott Waters

Postby Scott Waters » Mon 19 Nov 2001 4:18 pm

I'm sure they wouldn't be called 'sunglasses', but I've often wondered if something similar was available too.

Scott
>
< replied-to message removed by QT >

John Smith

Postby John Smith » Wed 21 Nov 2001 6:01 pm

Yes, I've seen the "anti-glare night driving glasses" advertised in those glossy "innovations" type magazines you get with credit card bills.

I've done a quick search though and found this at the College of Optometrists site ( http://www.college-optometrists.org/pub ... vision.htm ):

<b>I've seen amber night driving spectacles advertised in the press. Can they help?</b>
There is no evidence that these lenses improve vision on the road, indeed tinted lenses may actually make vision worse. Windscreen tints have the same effect and this is why the Highway Code warns drivers not to use any form of tint at night.

<b>What about the blue night driving lights advertised for use within the car?</b>
These cause the eye pupil to contract and may therefore reduce the glare from approaching headlights but they also make it harder to see the road ahead. They are not recommended.

Ian - Oxfordshire

Postby Ian - Oxfordshire » Wed 21 Nov 2001 6:35 pm

All night-time drivers,

The conclusion I have reached is that most of us suffer night time driving problems of varying degrees as a result of KC or the associated scaring. I know I do.

Driving around town with good street-lighting is much improved as our pupils contract and the ambient light helps everyone anyway.

Driving along country roads our pupils expand, often upto or greater than the optic zone of the lens. So the obvious answer is to keep the pupil small but then you let less light in which makes it more difficult to see OR may be increase the size of the optics which I believe can make the lens less stable. Any contact lens manufacturers out their who may be able to help ?

I know sclerals may help as the optic is much larger but presumably with some clever RGP technology something could be done - how about using the computer program that CLPL supply... http://www.clpl.co.uk/noflash/fittingsoftware.htm to calculate the best fit ? Unfortunately this is only available to practitioners.

It seems some post-Lasik patients have similar problems as per my earlier postings (http://www.surgicaleyes.com) - I wonder what they do ?

Any comments ? Together surely we can find a workaround and get back on the road safely at night...

Regards
Ian

Sue

Postby Sue » Thu 22 Nov 2001 5:58 am

Scott & Jacqueline
I have got a pair of the 'night' driving glasses. They have orangy/yellow lenses and do help a little. I bought them several years ago - they were advertised in a leaflet that came with my Barclaycard statement. I have seen them advertised since in some mailings received from the AA. It may be worth contacting the AA to see if they still supply them. I think they were about £15 at the time.

If either of you are local (I am in Hertfordshire) you could try mine before buying if you wish.

I would be interested to know if it is only KC patients who suffer problems from the new 'blue' headlights. I have asked people that I know with 'normal eyesight' and they look at me blankly! If there are enough people affected (KC and otherwise)- maybe we could jointly put pressure on the manufacturers to revert to the old style headlamps which are less of a problem.

Dave Hamblett

Postby Dave Hamblett » Fri 23 Nov 2001 1:59 pm

Hello all

as i have to drive home each night down an unlit bypass(A444) from coventry, i suffer badly at times from glare. One thing i have found to help is to flick the little tab under the rear view mirror.
This puts it to an angle and whilst still allowing you to see the lights of the cars behind you cuts out all the glare from car headlights behind you.
I find this really helps on busy roads as i can see much better without the extra ambient glare from cars behind me!
also the sunvisor can reduce the glare from strong street lights directly above you in well lit areas.
I have reverted to wearing my old grp contacts until my hospital appointment (i have been to the optician to make sure they are ok first!!) which has helped me alot.
Good luck all and let me know if this helps you.

Dave

Dave Hamblett

Postby Dave Hamblett » Fri 23 Nov 2001 2:03 pm

would it be possible to add a page to the site with opticions recommended by ke sufferers. When i asked for help on this page i had a great response and people all over the country could find someone to help that is easier to access than the hospital, also many of the best local opticians are the local hospital consultant any way!
I could start the list with Whitehouse and son in Nuneaton who has been great help for me. He also works at the Cov and Warwick hospital
Dave

John Smith

Postby John Smith » Fri 23 Nov 2001 6:45 pm

I think that's an excellent idea. If we don't get a page up here, I'm happy to host a page... but in the meantime...

Collett Opticians, in Eltham SE9, and Sidcup, Kent. They're excellent, and their opticians also work at the hospital, so they've got the right experience.

June

Postby June » Sat 24 Nov 2001 1:14 pm

Night vision glasses, I've had a pair for years and they really do help, they bring most headlights back to a single light without all the halo etc. I originally got mine from Halfords and they do still ocassionally get them in.I do alot of country lane driving as i work shifts and finish late at night - the glasses do help.
Emma, I am also in Hereford as is Steve, but I get treated at Moorfields.

Amanda

Postby Amanda » Sun 25 Nov 2001 6:37 am

Lawrence, you must be due for your hospital app. about now.Thinking of you. Please let us know how you get on.If you wanted to you could e-mail me on Astigle@aol.com

Return to “General Discussion Forum”