Quicktopic posts: Aug 2001

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

carole Morgan

Postby carole Morgan » Wed 01 Aug 2001 6:08 am

Deleted by topic administrator 02-08-2001 03:24 PM

pp carole Morgan

Postby pp carole Morgan » Wed 01 Aug 2001 2:10 pm

hi
I have had KC for 30 years, my son for 12 years up until 3 years ago I coped ok with lenses but then I was told lenses I were wearing were not suitable for KC and ten couldn't get vision out of any other type lens. I have had surgery (cornea graft) in left eye but it did not restore vision now I can only see out of one eye with lens in but only about 5 lines of chart and cannot read my employers will not at present consider a package to let me go on a pension and are not sympathetic to my eye problems. They say I look ok so do not realise how difficult I find it to cope in a working enviroment with computers/paperwork etc and my line manager has subjected me to horrendous abuse related to my eye condition Has anyone else out there had these problems and if so any suggestions on what I should do?

carole morgan

Postby carole morgan » Fri 03 Aug 2001 6:57 am

>
> HI
I AM A KC SUFFERER AND AM EXPERIENCING MAJOR PROBLEMS AT THE MOMENT AND WOULD WELCOME TALKING TO ANYONE OUT THERE WITH SIMILAR PROBLEMS FOR IDEAS? < replied-to message removed by QT >

Matt

Postby Matt » Fri 03 Aug 2001 2:30 pm

Carole,

Really sorry to hear about your problems at work. I have had KC for a number of years and am waiting for a cornea graft at the moment. My work are really good about any time I have off, but then I work in a hopspital so I wouldn't really expect anything less.

I really think that you should take some legal advice. Your employer cannot discriminate against you because of your eye problems, any more than they could against any other disability.

I dont know what other advice to give you except keep writing on this page! It does help.

Hope things improve.

Matt.

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Fri 03 Aug 2001 5:55 pm

Dear Carole, So sorry to hear that you are experiencing very serious problems at the moment. I definitely agree with Matt that your employer cannot treat you like that - is there not some sort of procedure at your work that you can put into motion to get it sorted out? It sounds like total and utter discrimination to me. I must admit that I have been extremely lucky at my work and they have been very flexible, even though, as you say, noone really understands our situation. Do you attend Moorfields Eye Hospital in London or somewhere else? Have you ever had the chance to try scleral lenses? If not, maybe this is an option that can help you. If you would like a friendly shoulder to cry on (it really does help sometimes just to talk to someone else who understands), then please email me on sue.ingram@virgin.net and I will let you have my telephone number. I live in Woking, Surrey. Are you anywhere near? I should be around most of the day tomorrow, Sat 4 Aug, but will be out Sun. Do take care and try not to give up hope - we have all been there at some time. SUE

Ian

Postby Ian » Sun 05 Aug 2001 7:16 am

Carole,

Very sorry to hear about your situation.

You may wish to ask your hospital or GP for a letter explaining the condition and send this to your employer - they may be more understanding.

If your Keratoconus has worsened since starting your job and you declared it on your application form then I believe your employer should make arrangements to ensure that you are not unfairly treated.

Ian - Oxfordshire

Postby Ian - Oxfordshire » Sun 05 Aug 2001 7:08 pm

Although KC doesn't affect dogs, cats or ducks you all may be interested in this article...

http://www.uic.edu/com/eye/education/eyefacts/pets.htm

Bit of light relief from the problems we experience...

Tony Coan

Postby Tony Coan » Tue 07 Aug 2001 7:00 pm

I have had KC for many years now but recently found that my corneal lenses are scarring my cornea and making them less and less comfortable to wear.
I was fitted with Sclerel lenses at Moorfields but find that they are not comfortable for any period of time.
Should I push for a corneal graft? as the consultant seemed unwilling to recommend this procedure, I would dearly love to hear from anyone who has undergone this op.
Please e-mail me at tony.coan@ntlworld.com

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Wed 08 Aug 2001 5:38 am

Dear Ian - checked the website out - I just think animals are soooo lucky not to get KC! Perhaps we should all pray that in the next life we come back as a cat, dog, duck ..... SUE

Jacqueline Cheetham

Postby Jacqueline Cheetham » Wed 08 Aug 2001 5:27 pm

Tony Coan There are other alternatives to wearing just a scleral lens. Many people wear more than one lens at a time to help them, I'm sure people will comment and tell you about this. I feel that you should try other alternatives before you consider a graft, make a fuss and get what you want, not what other people think you want. Good Luck. Jacqueline.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”