Quicktopic posts: Jul 2001

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Robert Smith

Postby Robert Smith » Mon 23 Jul 2001 5:30 pm

Dear Matt
Thanks for your message. Yes I understood that it would take about a year to get completely back to normal but I am a bit unclear about how this breaks down.

I was a bit confused about photophobia and have no idea what it is - unless it is fear of the light on waking up in the morning! What is it and how does it affect you?

Best wishes
Robert

Ian - Oxfordshire

Postby Ian - Oxfordshire » Mon 23 Jul 2001 6:49 pm

I just spotted this:

http://www.aioptics.com/schedule.htm

And one speech is about a "revolutionary correction for Keratoconus" - now I don't jump at soundbites like this but anyone know what this is about ?

I have emailed them and will let you know the outcome but anyone out there know what this is referring to ?

Best regards
Ian

Ian - Oxfordshire

Postby Ian - Oxfordshire » Mon 23 Jul 2001 7:06 pm

A couple more links worth a read:

http://www.clspectrum.com/archive.asp - and search for Keratoconus.

And one we all know and suffer: GED/BED - Good Eye Day - Bad Eye Day

http://www.clspectrum.com/archive_resul ... le=archive\2000\august\0800054.htm

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Tue 24 Jul 2001 5:42 am

Dear Jacqueline, Hear! Hear! I think we should all fight for being able to have different types of lenses so that we can change them throughout the day. This is the equivalent of an ordinary short-sighted person being able to take ther lenses out and put their glasses on in order to give their eyes a rest. I juggle with three different types of lenses - sclerals, corneals and coated sclerals with soft disposables underneath! It has definitely made a difference.

I am suffering pretty badly at the moment with mucus and itchy eyes (hayfever season) so to all those of you out there who are too - you are not alone! SUE

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Tue 24 Jul 2001 5:48 am

Dear Tony, Like the idea of the Glossary on the KC Website - excellent! Lets all see if we can help Tony to fill in the gaps! SUE

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Tue 24 Jul 2001 6:18 am

Dear Ian, Definitely be interested to hear about that speech when you hear from them. GED/BED article was interesting - albeit it telling us what we all know, i.e., not to overwear our lenses (pretty difficult when you are kerataconic & trying to live a normal life!). The other URL I could not get to work - the one with 'archive results' in it. Any ideas? Keep up the research! SUE

Jay

Postby Jay » Tue 24 Jul 2001 11:26 am

Hi

Does anyone have problems with putting in Scelerals.

I am able to put them in ---- lift top lid UP, slide Lens under top lid, hold onto lens, with other hand pinch bottom lid so that the lens fits in....

But i still managed to get bubbles in the lens after a bout 20 mins.....

Anyone got any tips?

Jay

Matt

Postby Matt » Tue 24 Jul 2001 1:06 pm

Robert,

Photophobia is basically having sensitivity to the light. Even in quite 'normal' brightness I have problems with watering eyes, squinting, pain etc. I anything brighter I have real problems. I find it very difficult to even sit in a car on bright days, even wearing sunglasses I sometimes cant even open my eyes!!!

Carole Woodruff

Postby Carole Woodruff » Sat 28 Jul 2001 3:12 pm

Kate,

Ages ago you asked me if I had received my soft keratoconic lens for my right eye as I was having so many probs tolerating my RGP lens. Well I decided not to have it because I couldn't get any decent visioin out of it. By some act of God my right rgp lens has now settled again and I'm wearing it most of the day.

Anyone else

I like most of you suffer from hayfever. The way I keep it under control is regular use of opticrom eye drops and one zirtec tab daily (a very effective anti-histamine).

Am now 7 months post-transplant in my left eye and all is going well. Seeing the surgeon again in Sept. Naked vision from that eye still totally blurred so will have to wear a c/lens again in that eye but hope not to have the probs I had last time round.

I sympathise with anyone experiencing eye infections. I had a viral conjunctivitis back in the winter and was a very good patient in that I took the Drs advice and left the right lens out for 4 weeks! Living practically blind was extremely depressing and fortunately my friends rallied round and helped a lot. I managed to shop in Tesco. Had enough vision not to crash into anyone and luckily could get most stuff like milk etc.

Just remember that while keratoconus is an awful thing, it can usually be beaten by trying to remain positive. I was a nurse in a busy paediatric intensive care unit when I discovered I had KC. The way I cope with it is by consolling myself that at least I don't have to have renal dialysis 3 times a week or have anything more severely disabling.

Keep smiling everyone.

Ian - Oxfordshire

Postby Ian - Oxfordshire » Sun 29 Jul 2001 10:46 am

Would it be possible to get an update from Bristol Uni/Eye Bank regarding the research that is underway.

Many thanks
Ian

Return to “General Discussion Forum”