Quicktopic posts: Jul 2001

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Sun 01 Jul 2001 12:19 pm

Dear KP, I was in exactly the same situation as you about two years' ago now. Had worn RGP corneal lenses for 25 years and my left eye (the better of the two) decided it did not want to put up with them any more. Consequence - life stopped! I now have scleral lenses and find that I can swap between the two, just as long as I do not have to wear the RGPs constantly all day and every day. With regard to Moorfields, it is definitely worth ringing. You cannot carry on like you are until September. Do you have Ken Pullum? If you ring on a Mon or Thurs, Ken is in and he is very appreciative of the fact that 'no lenses, no life'. Your life cannot just stop because Moorfields say they cannot give you an appointment for three months. Keep pestering is what I say and hopefully you can get in earlier. Take care and hope all goes well with the sclerals.

Dear Lino, Great to see that the KC website is being looked at around the world. Good luck with your op if you go for it. However, are scleral lenses an option for you in Brazil? It is definitely worth looking at all possibilities before having surgery. Let us know. SUE

KP

Postby KP » Sun 01 Jul 2001 1:42 pm

Sue

Thanks for the reply

Im going to try calling tomorrow...but I find that the receptionists at Moorefields are too "laid" back and dont really understand then when you have a lens which your vision depends on and your cant see without it...........life stops. Actually...not many people understand this at all............

Im going to try calling tomorrow morning and see what they say....i really hope i get one as its just a lens pick up. And yes Ken and his colleague did see me for the initial lens fitting

KP

elaine -----dover

Postby elaine -----dover » Mon 02 Jul 2001 11:11 am

Ken P.
All this talk of needing new lenses has made me think if that it the cause of my lack of tolerance just lateley.Do you think my lenses could be worn out as I have had them for about 10 yrs?I'm still waiting for a days appointment to check oxygen levels-dare I call?!
AND why has Kate Love gor a proper lens case while i am still using Frufo containers!Elaine M

elaine -----dover

Postby elaine -----dover » Mon 02 Jul 2001 11:20 am

Kristian
In respose to your infection problem this may be worth trying-when I lived in Greece we always used to treat eye infections with camomile tea. It was always very effectine and maybe worth a try. Elaine.

Are their any Greeks out there so I could practise my Greek!

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Tue 03 Jul 2001 3:33 am

Dear KP (what's your name?) I understand what you are saying about the receptionists at MEH, however, ask for Eileen as she is brilliant; she is sympathetic and does understand the way Ken works - often the others aren't and don't! I might be too late and you have already rung but worth bearing in mind for next time. Let us know how you get on. SUE

K.P

Postby K.P » Tue 03 Jul 2001 11:37 am

Hey Sue

Well I phoned the next day and first time round got cut off - GR8 i thought....phoned in the afternoon and got another appointment.......for the 16th of this month!?!....what a result hey............but i think this was luck as normally they dont give appoinments for at least 6 weeks.....

Matt

Postby Matt » Thu 05 Jul 2001 1:29 pm

I have known that I have keratoconus for about eight years, and am currently on the waiting list for a corneal graft on my worst eye. I currently wear SoftPerm lenses which correct my vision very well, however I do not tollerate them very well which affects my work etc.

I am worried that I have only ever been given the oppertunity to try hard and SoftPerm lenses and that another type of lens might be tollerated better.

Any ideas? I dont know how to go about trying other lenses but am worried that the decision to have a graft might have been made without trying everything else first.

Kate Love

Postby Kate Love » Thu 05 Jul 2001 1:58 pm

Matt
Try scleral lenses. Although the size of them may seem rather daunting, they are in fact incredibly comfortable and east to handle once you get used to them. Ken Pjllum is the man to see at Moorfields.

Elaine
If it is any consolation, the hinge of the posh case has broken!! See you soon?

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Thu 05 Jul 2001 5:29 pm

Matt, Have you tried Kerasoft lenses. They are a soft lenses especially for KC people, and have only been out a year or two. It was my hospital optician who got them for me.

sarah

Postby sarah » Fri 06 Jul 2001 12:35 pm

My best friend has had KC for a very long time and I would just like to say to her and all you others here on this site
that I think you are incredibly brave and have to put up with so much during the day to day things.
I don't know if I could cope with it all.
So everybody, keep hanging on and know that there are people who care.

Laura, Love you lots!!!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”