Quicktopic posts: Jul 2001

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Jacqueline Cheetham

Postby Jacqueline Cheetham » Sun 29 Jul 2001 1:52 pm

Jay, I found that after back surgery the only way to my sclerals in was, to lay over the bed with my head hanging over the end, put all your fluids etc on the floor. When you put the lens in really tuck your head under so that you are looking right under the bed. Then open your eye and come back up again. It souns really odd and looks delightful.... But it works for me every time

Jacqueline Cheetham

Postby Jacqueline Cheetham » Sun 29 Jul 2001 1:57 pm

Sue. Thanks for reply. It certainly makes me feel better to know that I'm not only one feeling pretty miserable at times. I'm also having trouble with the bright light, and sometimes can't even look ahead as it is so bright and painful. Look abit odd sitting in the office in my sun glasses.... Jacqueline.

Matt

Postby Matt » Mon 30 Jul 2001 1:13 pm

Channel 4 are showing a programme about Moorfields on Thursday at 8pm. Dont know if KC will be mentioned or not but it might be worth a look.

I do know they are showing some film of a cornea graft so not for the squeemish!!

Ian - Oxfordshire

Postby Ian - Oxfordshire » Mon 30 Jul 2001 2:54 pm

Thanks Matt,

Here is a clipping from Channel 4's website (hope no copyright is infringed reproducing this here - if so CH4 - please post reply and I'll remove)

-----------------------------------------------------------
20:00 2 August

Channel 4's season on blindness concludes with the final part of this series following patients and staff at London's Moorfields Eye Hospital. 20-year-old carpenter Danny Milsome is brought into the casualty department after accidentally shooting himself in the eye with a nail gun. He needs an emergency operation to prevent him being permanently blinded.

Mark Weston is diabetic and his reluctance to control his condition in his younger years has caused a serious deterioration in his eyesight. He has been declared officially blind, but hopes treatment at Moorfields may recover some of his vision.

Eleven-year-old Louise Patten, meanwhile, is blind due to a genetic condition. Her body has already rejected one round of corneal graft surgery, but today she undergoes a second operation in the hope that it will help her to see. A recorded information line is available on 0870 400 22 44.

If you want information on caring for your eysight, or getting help for sight problems there's a special Channel 4 recorded information line available 24 hours a day on 0870 400 2244. For more links to organisations and websites visit the Channel 4 Blinded website listed above in the related links.

Ian - Oxfordshire

Postby Ian - Oxfordshire » Mon 30 Jul 2001 2:57 pm

Jacqueline Cheetham

Postby Jacqueline Cheetham » Mon 30 Jul 2001 5:45 pm

I found that rinsing my lenses in very diluted Johnsons Baby Shampoo, did help a bit with the mucus coating problem. I'm not sure what Ken would think of this. So, maybe if anyone wanted to give it a go they should speak to him first... I would hate to get into trouble...

Matt

Postby Matt » Mon 30 Jul 2001 6:09 pm

Robert,

In answer to your question from ages ago!! I have been reading a graft diary (address below) in which the doctor said that flying is fine from a week post surgery as long as no symptoms of rejection are present.

http://home.neo.rr.com/kevinskc/

Hope this helps!!

Hope you are OK. Any news of surgery yet???

Ian Pearson

Postby Ian Pearson » Tue 31 Jul 2001 4:12 am

I have had KC for 20 odd years Corneal Graft contact Lens, rejection and the tee shirt. My son who is 24 has developed Nodular Episcleitis. I can find little info on this can anyone out there enlighten me on the subject.

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Tue 31 Jul 2001 10:29 am

Dear Jay, I definitely agree with Jacqueline that the best way to put sclerals in is to bend your head over and look down absolutely as far as you can (as if you are looking through your chest and out the other side), slowly put the lens in and slowly slide your top eyelid over the lens - thus not allowing any air to get in. You should find that the bottom lid just pops out but if not, just pull it down slightly and it should get into place. Saying that, I can go for ages, popping my lenses in and out with no air bubbles at all and then I will have a bad day when it does not seem to matter what I do, but the air bubbles win! Take care and keep persevering.

Ian - Thanks for the info on the Channel 4 website - I have managed to catch a couple of the 'Blinded' programmes. They are very interesting - also makes you realise that there are plenty of others much worse of than ourselves. Not sure who really wants to see someone having their eye surgically removed, though!

Matt - I have seen a corneal graft being done on tv years' ago. It is really not at all squeamish - its pretty amazing actually - and surprisingly quick. Just not sure I would want to go through it though! SUE

Return to “General Discussion Forum”