NHS - how long is reasonable to wait

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

brigid downing
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby brigid downing » Fri 24 Feb 2006 4:49 pm

Thanks Lynn

I know you're right. some times I get cross and want simple answers to complex issues. Just fustrated I guess.

If I have to wait I have to wait. The eye hospital have my notes but because I haven't been going to them they have closed my file and I have to start again. I hear you about rules and stuff but sometimes it feels like red tape and "jobsworth". But 13 weeks isn't forever - I just want to sort everything, TODAY. Patience is not my greatest virtue. Maybe this will be good for me!

Brigid

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Fri 24 Feb 2006 6:25 pm

Hehe...

Patience is a hard one I have to admit! Red tape can get you down because sometimes there seems no sense to it. Thats the same in all spheres of life. I think the key is here is to get a good working relationship with whoever oversees your fitting and ask about what to do in emergencies, or lens loss etc etc.... make sure you understand teh system once you actually get there.. that will save grief in the future!

Good luck!

Lynn

Helen Scholar
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Helen Scholar » Fri 24 Feb 2006 7:32 pm

Just wanted to say that my son gets his lenses from Manchester Eye Hospital optometry department and although we had a bit of a wait at first to see the consultant before he was diagnosed a few years ago, we have always been able to get quick appointments if he has had any problems with his vision or lenses since, and have never had to wait more than a few days for lenses to arrive.

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby rosemary johnson » Fri 24 Feb 2006 8:15 pm

13 weeks wait for a first appointment as a new patient (OK, a "new"-again patient having dropped off the system) sounds pretty good going to me.
Keep the appointment and get back into the system.
In fact, I'd say it sounds bloddy wonderful, compared with the wait of over seven months (sic) it took Moorfields to get me my latest new lenses!!
- not to mention how long it's going to take to get me my next new lenses, given they are currently unable even to try ordering me any as they can't make up their minds whether they have to charge me for them, so can't do anything at all, so meanwhile I have to go without.
Rosemary

Sweet
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Sweet » Fri 24 Feb 2006 11:31 pm

Just needed to say that 13 weeks doesn't sound too bad to me either as i waited a year to be seen at Moorfields as a new patient and that was without ordering any lenses! I didn't have any patience then either and still don't lol! But please take it easy as it will soon fly by before you know it! Not good advice right now i know, but stick with it, soon you will be wondering what all the stress was about! :wink:

Take care, Sweet X x X
Sweet X x X

Return to “General Discussion Forum”