Quicktopic posts: Jun 2001

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Alan Chown

Postby Alan Chown » Fri 01 Jun 2001 4:24 am

Reply to Lawrence:
I subscribe to the NKCK list and that has taken on quite a negative tone(in my opinion)> I think our Americans friends do see (whoops just noticed the unintentional pun whilst reading back) things somewhat differently, I should know I married one! I queried the negative tone and got quite a few e-mails back querying my right to question their negativity. In my opinion, in the grand scheme of things, there are a lot of worse things than KC, and I think that your (and mine)attitude of just getting on with things is the right one. No point moping about, it won't help us see any better

elaine

Postby elaine » Sun 03 Jun 2001 8:21 am

dear Lawrence
I agree with the 'just get on with it theory'. At least most of us have the possibility of decent sight when wearing lenses while there are so many people worse off. When I first tried sclerols I was so depressed because the amazing improvement only made me realize how bad my sight was wothout them.Does that make sense? Quite possibily being partially sighted can be more difficult as it is hard for others to understand exactly how much or little sight you have.
Hope the headaches improve.
Elaine

Phil "Marathon Man" Davis

Postby Phil "Marathon Man" Davis » Sun 03 Jun 2001 3:38 pm

Count me in for the positive possee, surly a positive mental attitude must be at least half the battle. The trouble is that we don’t reflect on the good days or even months that we get, just concentrate and whinge about the bad ones.
Elaine, are you still there? can you tell me where I can get an anti-bacterial hand wash without moisturiser I have tried all the supermarkets without any success

Kristian Tizzard

Postby Kristian Tizzard » Sun 03 Jun 2001 4:36 pm

Laura. I'm 27, which is close! I have had KC diagnosed since I was 18. What sort of problems are you having?

Nicola Thomas

Postby Nicola Thomas » Mon 04 Jun 2001 4:44 am

Phil,
I've also found it difficult to find an anti-bacterial hand wash without moisturier, but finally found a Boots own brand. Cant remember the name exactly (something obvious like anti-bacterial handwash!), but its a blue coloured liquid soap. Although I'm sure you could find what you're looking for an any good chemist.
Nic

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Tue 05 Jun 2001 7:42 am

Dear Lawrence, I agree with you - some of the messages on the US site can be a little depressing, whereas I think we are much more positive about the whole thing in the UK, especially on this site. Basically, we just have to accept that we have KC and then manage it the best we can and not let it stop us doing anything - my motto, as many of you already know! In fact, in a way, I may have done more things BECAUSE I have KC, whereas I might not have even bothered trying otherwise. So, look on the bright side everybody and keep smiling.

By the way, I will be up at Moorfields on 14 June to see Ken at 11.00 am - I am sure I will be there a while! Will anyone else be there then? It would be so nice to have someone to talk to rather than just sitting around waiting and getting thoroughly bored. My photo is on the conference page so you will be able to recognise me.

SUE

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Tue 05 Jun 2001 9:17 am

Dear Steve - you posted a message a while ago asking the reason for wearing a scleral in one eye and and an RGP corneal in the other. I have KC in both eyes and the reason I do this is because this is how I get the best vision and the best comfort. In actual fact, I wear an RGP corneal in my left eye and a coated scleral with a soft disposal lens underneath in my right eye - called piggy-backing. So, I am actually wearing three different lenses at the same time - wonder what they will think of next! SUE

elaine -----dover

Postby elaine -----dover » Tue 05 Jun 2001 1:44 pm

Phil
Try Superdrug Satsuma Anti-Bact.Used it today and it made my hands feel like sandpaper so I'm sure it can't possibly contain moisturiser! Is there something I don't know re=anti-bacteria handwash? Do you use it to clean your lenses?

elaine -----dover

Postby elaine -----dover » Tue 05 Jun 2001 1:46 pm

Deleted by topic administrator 07-06-2001 10:11 PM

Kevin Sargant

Postby Kevin Sargant » Tue 05 Jun 2001 4:17 pm

I've just found this website after looking up KC. I was diagnosed about 5 years ago aged 25. I'm lucky in the fact that contact lenses help to correct it as much as possible.

It is goode to have found other people with the condition as I have never met anyone else who suffers from it.

Is there going to be any more KC conferences in the future ?

Return to “General Discussion Forum”