Quicktopic posts: Jun 2001

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Alex

Postby Alex » Sun 10 Jun 2001 5:19 pm

Kate

Sadly the govt rundown of KCH was the reason I was sent away from KCH Casualty on Friday with a supurating ulcer spewing puss from my left cornea. To be fare they did give me a tissue and tell me to come back on Monday.

Same Govt. - same Hospital!! VIVA KIDDEMINSTER>

RE you Q. The lrft eye vision is clear but there is no definition beyond headline. But then the operation was carried out only 4 days ago in the most horrendous bloated, swollen and infected conditions.

Things can only get better!

Alex

Christopher

Postby Christopher » Thu 14 Jun 2001 5:55 am

Alex - you seem to have shocked everyone into silence, good job I was not eating at the time of reading about your recent adventures!
I hope you are making a speedy recovery.
Can anyone tell me what is the best lens colour of glass/plastic for sunglasses.
I'm currently using a light brown and the balance between vision and comfort is OK, but I was wondering if anyone has views?

john griffiths

Postby john griffiths » Thu 14 Jun 2001 12:14 pm

hi,to you all,just got a pc,nice to see(no pun intened)i site for keratoconus,i was beging to think i was the only person who has had alot of problems wearing/fitting lenes,it has took a long time for me to get a good fitting lens,i have KC in both eyes,and was diagnosed in 1997,and after all this time i only have my left eye treated,the right eye is far to complicated to treat,but i seem to manage ok with one.i get my treatment at manchester royal eye hospital,i was told i was too higher risk of rejection to even consider transplants,because of my allergies,causing very dry eyes.and laser treatment to reshape my cornea was a no go either,they were far to thin,nothing to remove,i would just like to say to anyone who is a bit down,i suffered from real bad depression,dont give up you will grt there in the end,i have a life again,is there anyone in my area (workington,cumbria with KC?)get in touch with me,i would like to hear from you,i am 39yrs old,mobile 07773151891

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Thu 14 Jun 2001 2:00 pm

Dear John, Glad you have found the site - it does help to share the problems,worries and triumphs of living with KC. Sorry to hear that you have experienced alot of problems - I know how long it can take to find the right solution and that can mean each eye needs something different - been there, done that, got the t-shirt! When you say your right eye is too complicated to treat - has a scleral lens been considered? I am sure all possibilities have been covered for you, but just a suggestion in case sclerals have not been mentioned as they do not always seem to be given as an alternative in many parts of the UK. This seems to only be the practice if you attend Moorfields Eye Hospital in London. Anyway, keep peservering; we are all behind you and do understand. SUE

Kim R.

Postby Kim R. » Fri 15 Jun 2001 7:01 pm

Alex,
Well I guess the decision about what to do with your left eye has been made!!!! I know you said that you were going to try and persuade the surgeon to do your left eye, but wasn't this going a bit far!!!!
What a nightmare it must have been for you. I guess you're still in shock, (I know I am) it sounds as if it all happened so quickly. How did you get the ulcer in the first place?
Anyway, I hope you are doing alright and your recovery is guick. Let us know how you are getting on.

Ian - Oxfordshire

Postby Ian - Oxfordshire » Sat 16 Jun 2001 12:28 pm

Kim,

Re: Sunglasses.

I would highly recommend getting a pair of polarised lenses, they can be more expensive but cut out the glare that conventional sunglass lenses don't normally filter out. I think many skiers use them. A a good test for polarisated lenses is when you are following a car with the sun reflecting from its rear windscreen put on the glasses and you can see right through the car! The definition is also sharpened in lower light conditions.

I have a pair of Suncloud wrap-arounds (Bausch&Lomb) which I bought on holiday in Florida a couple of years ago. You should be able to order these via the internet - perhaps goto a search engine like http://www.google.com and search for sunglasses or Suncloud.

The salesperson said that my pair were discontinued and were on offer at about £60. Apparently they have the same lenses to the much more expensive Revo's but I cannot confirm this.

I feel I've had very good value out of mine. The only drawback (or plus point depending on your viewpoint) has been many comments from work colleagues thinking I am trying to look cool between buildings when all I am trying to do is prevent tearful eyes or dust getting behind the lens.

Regards
Ian

freddy

Postby freddy » Sun 17 Jun 2001 10:31 am

Kim

Sunglasses! I have a pair of wrap arounds from Bolle. They cost a lot but I have had to wear them almost every day for a year! They are sports glasses with interchangeable lenses. The clear ones look like safety glasses, then a cinnamon pair highlight yellow and red (golfers/squash players prefer these I believe) and finally a dark pair which shut out bright sun. The lenses are about £20 each and the first pair came with clear and dark lenses and cost c.£120. I find they protect my bad eye against bright sun and my good eye contact lens from dust/wind which always upset it. I may look a bit of a twit in them but I love them! I am a 40 year old teacher and the ultimate complement was paid to me by a 16 year thug "Cool eyes miss!" KC has it's compensations!!

So I suggest you try a good sports shop and see what you find.

PS to all those who supported me recently. I am now nine weeks post-op and feel well. I have still got distortion of good eye from bad eye so I find I can read for 30 mins without a headache, but can't drive yet. Mostly I am a bit bored! I was very cheered on a recent visit to the surgeon who used the pinhole specs. I could see line four on the eye chart. This is brilliant for me. I can't really see the first letter without these glasses!

Best wishes to all, Freddy

Barney

Postby Barney » Tue 19 Jun 2001 3:55 pm

Does anyone have any views on when is the right time to go for a corneal graft?

Presumably it depends on what you need to do but, to put it another way, how much of an improvement would make the smallish risks worthwhile? How many extra lines on the chart maybe?

In my own case I had a graft in my left eye so that I can read the last line of the chart – just. But even with a lens my right eye is so pathetic it doesn’t contribute anything to my overall vision and to a slight extent makes it worse. But though I’m effectively using only one eye I’m fine for driving.

Is it better to hold on to what we’ve got or try for the best sight we can get? My inclination is to do the latter but what do others think?

I’m possibly feeling slightly cheesed because I received a lens by post this morning that allowed me to see an extra couple of lines when prescribed at the hospital but in practice seems slightly worse than the original and itches like mad. :(

Barney

john griffiths

Postby john griffiths » Wed 20 Jun 2001 5:14 pm

dear sue,thanks for your reply,yes they did try a scleral lens in my right eye,anyway i just wanted to ask the group if they also suffer from red blood vessals always showing in the whites of their eyes,it makes me feel very self consious,is anything i can do to help this?i tried eye brightner but is seems to cause me more problems.any ideas?

john griffiths

Postby john griffiths » Wed 20 Jun 2001 5:17 pm

also do any other poeple feel dizzy at times?or is it the fact i am only wearing one lens?

Return to “General Discussion Forum”