Quicktopic posts: May 2001

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Kate Love

Postby Kate Love » Tue 15 May 2001 1:59 pm

Elaine
I am still game for a coffee in Canterbury, especially as i don't think I can make the picnic on Sunday. How about 9th June or 23td June? What do others in the area think?

Whiteduck

Postby Whiteduck » Tue 15 May 2001 2:25 pm

Alex,

Sorry "Whiteduck" is my web nickname - my real name is Ian G.

You would have to see my home page to understand why I chose "whiteduck" - (http://www.bradleyduck.com)

Cheers
Ian

Tony Stigle

Postby Tony Stigle » Tue 15 May 2001 4:41 pm

The Picnic (copy)

The new comers to this site may of missed Mandy & my idea of a Picnic..
Now... This in a non organised, non official, turn up type of do.. If you want food bring it.
No registration, absolutely no rules. Just a walk in the park!
Sunday 20th May at Rochester Castle.. (Kent) The grounds of the castle are public.. & small.. so finding us will us will be easy.. 11.00 by the bandstand....Bring the family & friends.. Details on a page from the main page soon.. Tony & Mandy Stigle

Mike Oliver

Postby Mike Oliver » Tue 15 May 2001 5:13 pm

In fact we do have Group business cards complete with logo and web address. However we also have group fliers and these have been circulated for some considerable time The KC booklet by Lynn Speedwell is supplied to hospitals, opticians and optometrists both in the UK and abroad on a regular basis . Anne deals with this and there are frequent reorders and regular new enquiries
. Each booklet contains the group's details. We are now in our 3rd or 4th reprint [2000 at a time]. One of the projects planned is listing hospitals etc not yet contacted. The problem is time and recently we have had to concentrate on consolidating our position in various ways whilst also establishing how we address the issues which came out of the conference. It may seem as if nothing is happening but we are moving forward, a newsletter will be published within the nxt few weeks. Watch this[ or even that] space.

Kim R.

Postby Kim R. » Tue 15 May 2001 6:46 pm

Alex

For the desensitisation I'll be given a course of injections which contain tiny amounts of the things I'm allergic to - house dust mites and cats are my worst allergies (they can't do anything about the preservatives!). I'm hoping that it'll really help. Try telling me not to rub my eyes!!
It must of been amazing for you to see with the contact lenses at first but I'm glad to hear that your operation was a huge success - what did they do exactly?(The only op. I've heard of for KC is a graft.) Good luck with deciding what to do about your left eye.

Kim

Alex

Postby Alex » Tue 15 May 2001 8:08 pm

Kim
I had a Deep Lamellur Keratoplasty (DLK). It is not new but the huge recent improvements in laser technology mean that it is a real advance. In short: The old process (a complete graft) meant the removal of the body of the cornea and replacement with a cornea that had been donated. DLK is subtly but crucially different. The surgeon cuts into the lens with a laser scalpel BUT doesn't cut all the way through. The trick is to leave a layer, at the base of the cornea, completely intact. (In laymans terms I suppose it is the difference betwean taking only a measured portion from an icecream tub rather than scraping right to the bottom of the barrel.) The carefully sculpted graft section is then placed within the scooped out hole and stitched into place. With the old process there is only a thin section around the edge of the graft to bond to the old cornea. Thus the weakness and vulnerability of the procedure. With DLK there is the whole surface of the "hollowed" cornea for the graft to bond with. Hence the far greater likelyhood of success. What's more, in the unlikely event of a rejection, the full graft is still an option - so there is no loss whatsoever in trying the DLK process. Further, because the base of the lens remains intact and protected there is less pressure on the new graft, less likelyhood of presure-related damage - and best of all - no bruising whatsoever!

Recovery is swift - BUT it still takes a while before the eye is fully healed! I could see at once and I was driving within just a few weeks. I am writing this now without a contact in my left eye and am relying purely on the improved vision in the grafted eye. In a few months I will have the final stitches out, and hopefully, with glasses, will have excellent vision in that eye. But yes you are right - what to do about the left? Mr Daya did the right one on the National Health, so there was no cost whatsoever. I have yet to find out if I can convince him to do the left eye too!

I live in hope! Take care!

Alex

Phil "Marathon man"

Postby Phil "Marathon man" » Wed 16 May 2001 1:52 pm

OK where is everyone? It Wed at 6:45 and no one is in the chat room. I feel like I have been stood up or is it like a surprise party, where everyone jumps out of cyberspace and screams “sclerals lens” at you! Tony, is it me or the technology, but I cannot type my message onto the chat board.

Tony Stigle

Postby Tony Stigle » Wed 16 May 2001 2:41 pm

Sorry Phil.. I could not make it on line at the time of the cybermeeting..
This is what you do.. There is a less than obvious white line at the bottom of the page.. Click in & then type in there.. It works I have had 3 online chats now.. Has anyone else been there.. I am interested to know if it works..
Tony
PS.. Whos at the picnic then? Sue Ingram & Mandy & I anyone else?
Tony
PPS & Also.. Same time next week.. on line meeting 6.00 onwards... Tony

elaine

Postby elaine » Thu 17 May 2001 10:47 am

alex
have you never seen a sclerol lens? If we ever meet for coffee i'll show you mine! when they are not in my eyes i keep goldfish in them!

elaine

Postby elaine » Thu 17 May 2001 10:51 am

kate
i am up for coffee.I will check those dates in case i am working.I dont't know anything about any of you so it would be good to meet someone. am i right in thinking you go to moorfields too?

Return to “General Discussion Forum”