Quicktopic posts: Apr 2001

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Phil "Marathon Man" Davis

Postby Phil "Marathon Man" Davis » Mon 09 Apr 2001 9:28 am

To Grahame and Alan; You have touched on a subject close to my heart (or is it my eyes?) I share your frustration at not being able to take out my lens at the end of the day, clean them up and then read or watch TV. When I inquired at Moorfields about the option of glasses it was indicated that it would not be an option, however, good my eye sight, but your comments have prompted me to “have another go” to acquire a pair of relaxing, late night spectacles.

Alex

Postby Alex » Mon 09 Apr 2001 7:10 pm

I believe Freddy had his op today.(message 58)
Anyone got any news?

Thinking of you Freddy!

Alex

Kim R.

Postby Kim R. » Tue 10 Apr 2001 4:18 pm

I've just found this site and I am so glad I did. I was diagnosed about 7 years ago when I was living in London, so went to Moorfields where I joined the Keratoconus group. I then left for New Zealand only to come back 8 months later and moved to Durham. I'd lost the address of the group and now 5 years later I've found this web site!!!!Am I the only one living up here??(I've never seen any info on the group in the hospitals.)

Steve

Postby Steve » Thu 12 Apr 2001 3:25 pm

I'm in my first week of using a kerasoft lens for my left eye, and while the fit is excellent, i'm finding good stable vision rather sporadic. I'd be interested to know what experiences anyone else has got with this type of lens.

Ultravision International are launching the first moulded gas permeable lens for KC patients in the uk this summer. Has anyone got any feedback on how they perform from non uk sources?

As I keep hearing that the % of KC patients varies considerably depending on where you live, i'd be interested to know if there's anyone from the Herefordshire/Glos/Worcs area.

Finally, it's great to see such a pro-active UK KC site; it took me a while to find you and i can't overstate the support and encouragement it gives to KC patients like myself. Keep up the good work!

freddy

Postby freddy » Fri 13 Apr 2001 1:18 pm

Hi Alex and all KC people
I just have to write! I had a corneal graft on Monday morning (9th) and feel great! I have posted some rather self-absorbed and depressed messages at times, but thanks to the support I have had, some known and many quietly
unaware on this link, I decided to have a graft.

Well, it did not hurt much! I was a real coward, but it was OK. I only stayed in hospital for two days and I can already see my fingers and finger nails out of the transplanted eye. Reading is tiring so I shall post more
later, but thanks all!

Freddy Bull

ps in the nicest way Alex Freddy is from Frederica!! I know it is confusing!
Northamptonshire, UK

Alex

Postby Alex » Fri 13 Apr 2001 9:33 pm

(OOPS!!!)
Frederica - congratulations! - I'm so pleased it went so well! It is amazing how quickly it is all over. Remember, staying positive is the key to recovery - along with plenty of common sense and a good healthy diet. As long as you keep remembering to put the drops in and don't go weight-lifting for a while you'll be up and running in no time.
I am starting to think that the worst part was continually stubbing my toes!

I started driving again today. I had to wait 'til I could read down to the required line with my right eye - but as my left (with itchy contact lens in place) is very good (if constantly sore)I felt pretty confident about it!

Stay away from dust storms - and no discos for a while!!!

Good luck

Alex

Alex

Postby Alex » Fri 13 Apr 2001 9:40 pm

Martine

It was great to meet and I can't believe I new Becky already and we didn't know we both had KC. How weird is that!

Have you had any joy yet? Did you get to speak to any of the people we discussed? I am dying to know!

The eye has got even better since you both peered into it last week and I am starting to think the operation was a dream or something. I hope Becky has the same good luck!

See you soon

Alex
PS re the business thing - there is a course available locally through the Enterpricse Agency. (despite being an arm of the Government they are actually surprisingly good!)

Sue Ingram

Postby Sue Ingram » Sat 14 Apr 2001 4:14 am

Dear Freddy,
Congratulations! We did not think we would hear from you so quickly after your op - isn't that amazing? Keep up the good work and continue to let us know your progress. The graft is the thing we all dread, hoping it won't happen - you are not the only coward! But it has been good to hear all the positive comments so far. Take care and keep us posted. SUE

June

Postby June » Sun 15 Apr 2001 7:21 am

i've been reading the messages for about 4 weeks now. i've had KC for 17yrs and now wear one scleral and one corneal lens - i never muddle them up!!! A note to Steve, i'm in Hereford, but attend Moorfields as I was diagnosed while working in London. Freddy, great news over your op.

Kate Love

Postby Kate Love » Mon 16 Apr 2001 4:56 am

i can't remember who had the idea of meeting up at Moorfield appointments but I think its a good one! So....I have an appointment with Ken Pullum at 11.30am on Thursday (19th April) I'm sure I'll spend quite a bit of time siyying around with various lenses in my eyes - anyone else there on Thursday to meet up for a chat?

Return to “General Discussion Forum”