Quicktopic posts: Apr 2001

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

gilliangruder

Postby gilliangruder » Mon 16 Apr 2001 5:10 am

Freddy

It shounds like you are doing really well. I am thinking of you and keep us all posted. Good luck. Gillian

Bob

Postby Bob » Mon 16 Apr 2001 2:15 pm

HELLO I HAVE HAD KC FOR 7 YEARS, NEVER NEED CONTACTS, I FAILED MY EYE TEST FOR THE FIRST TIME I NEED CONTACTS OR I CAN'T WORK I DRIVE A TRUCK FOR A LIVING WHAT CAN I EXSPECT IN GETTING FITTED

Nicola Thomas

Postby Nicola Thomas » Tue 17 Apr 2001 7:12 am

Following on from Kate's message about meeting up at Moorfield appts... I'm there this Friday (20th) for a 3:15 appt if anyone would like a chat

Alex

Postby Alex » Tue 17 Apr 2001 11:53 am

Bob

You'll be fine! If you only just failed the test for the first time then getting sufficient improvement should be pretty straight-forward. It does take a bit of time for the eyes to get used to contacts but nowadays there are drops to help with the itching and modern fitting techniques will make sure you have a minimum of discomfort.

You mustn't worry! Once you get used to them you will grow to love your contacts and won't find them any trouble at all. You just need to make sure that you keep your hands clean when you touch them and that you blink more often than you are used to. Everything WILL be fine and you will be back at work in no time!

Alex

Steve

Postby Steve » Tue 17 Apr 2001 5:13 pm

June,

Interested to read that you live in Hereford;I guess it wasn't the sight of the city's traffic reversal schemes or the consumption of strong 'apple' juice that contributed to your diagnosis.......although it may have contributed to mine!

Most recently i've been with Bishop and Rumney in the city, and although their service and support has been second to none, we've run out of options, so they've kindly put me in contact with Peter Garwood at Monmouth, whose had over 20 years experience in dealing with KC patients.

Your're very fortunate being with Moorfields-they seem to be at the cutting edge of technology as regards this condition. (I recently learnt from my G.P. that my local hospital didn't quote KC in my notes when i was examined).
If I can't find a solution locally, then i'm aiming to get myself referred 'uptown'.

Mike Oliver

Postby Mike Oliver » Tue 17 Apr 2001 7:21 pm

Bob, Alex comments are right and they will probably be able to fit you with lens OK if you have only just reached the stage where this is necessary.I have worn contact lens for donkey's years and many others will tell the same story. In doing my job I talk to many bus, coach and lorry drivers and have been surprised how many wear lens for one reason or another.Good luck and letus know how you get on.

Mandy

Postby Mandy » Wed 18 Apr 2001 2:58 pm

I've been fitted with hybrid lenses which need replacing every 3 months. They are subsidised by the NHS but still will cost me £90.00 every 3 months. Does any one know if I can get a yearly prescription rate for this?

Jay

Postby Jay » Wed 18 Apr 2001 4:22 pm

Hi

Has anyone here had success with Scleral Lenses?

If so, how many fitting did it take you to get your lenses right?. Ive recently come to the end of wearing time for SoftPerms and now need new lenses. I have sensitive eyes and so have been suggested these Scleral Lenses

June

Postby June » Thu 19 Apr 2001 1:20 pm

Jay, I've worn a scleral in 1 eye for a couple of years. The fitting was interesting, but took only slightly longer than fiddling with loads of different corneals. My first scleral ruffled up my conjunctiva (very painful!) so Ken took ages and sorted it out. The present one is great and wear time is whatever I want, though it's usually 15-18 hours depending on work. I swim with it in (though I'm not brave enough to go without goggles). Putting it in can be messy and it often takes two attempts, but I wouldn't be without it.
Steve, are you in Hereford itself?

Steve

Postby Steve » Thu 19 Apr 2001 1:49 pm

June,
Yes. I'm in Ferndale Road, just off Kings Acre Road. Maybe we should form a local group? Have you any family history with this condition? i've got two young children and hope that they don't have to go through what i've had to.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”