Quicktopic posts: Apr 2001

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

martine

Postby martine » Sun 01 Apr 2001 5:17 am

Hi everybody

Yes I can make Canterbury or Rochester! Weekends are preferable, but not exclusive. Perhaps set up initial get together in May? What's good for other people? I can always be contacted by email directly: martinesy@btinternet.com. Lets go for it and all arrive at the same time, place and date.

Hope to see you soon
Martine and Becky

Ken Pullum

Postby Ken Pullum » Sun 01 Apr 2001 5:04 pm

I thought your meeting was excellent. Congratulations to Mike, Anne and everyone involved with the organisation. Your discussion page is very lively as well. Since I have featured in a few entries, I perhaps should make a contribution.

KC is quite varied, topography, corneal transparency, tolerance to contact lenses, and that is just the eyes. Treatment options are individually decided on, and the right one for one person may be quite inappropriate for another. Rigid lenses of some type usually give a reasonable visual result, provided the cornea is clear enough. They neutralise the cornea by trapping a pool of tears between the cornea and the back surface of the lens. The refractive index of the tear pool is about the same as the cornea, so no bending of light (refraction) takes place at the corneal surface when the lens is worn.

Hydrogel (soft) lenses do not do this. They drape over the surface so that the front surface takes up much the same shape as the cornea without trapping the tear pool. I think most of the KC group know that, but I see some people from time to time in our clinics who are not aware of how rigid lenses work and why soft lenses largely do not. There are some uses for hydrogels, but rigid is the mainstream option.

Sclerals have certain advantages for some people. They do not fall out and the lids slide over the surface rather than for ever touching the lids. Their downside is that they may feel bulky and give the eye an enlarged appearance. I can think of one person who uses sclerals because it makes the eyes look larger, but most people prefer a normal appearance. I can sympathise with that view. There is quite a lot more to say, but I'll put a bit more on a different entry so this is not too long. Then there is the corneal transplant option to discuss as well.

Contact lens wear can be difficult at times, but don't give up.

Mark Bennister

Postby Mark Bennister » Tue 03 Apr 2001 4:04 pm

Hi all. Tony great picnic idea and tks for getting the photos up, although of course we are all blinking in the team shot!!

i am struggling with my lenses at present as i have a case of blepharitis (eyelid infection stopping production of tears and oils). Has anyone else suffered from this condition lately? Hot flannel and massage of the eylids helps but its a long haul (2-4 weeeks) without my lenses on.

Alex

Postby Alex » Wed 04 Apr 2001 7:28 am

Hi Mark

Yes I had Blepharitis and was given an ointment which I rubbed into my lids at bed time. It cleared up in a week and actually I wore my lenses each day and used the cream at night. Sadly I can't think of the name of the stuff - it was given to me by a doctor at the Corneo-plastic clinic at East Grinstead. I have phoned them and left a message asking waht it was called and will let you know the name as soon as I have found out.

Alex

Alex

Postby Alex » Wed 04 Apr 2001 10:38 am

Mark

Just got the reply re: Blepharitis.
I was given "Chloramphenicol Eye Ointment BP 1% W/W".

It worked in a week.

Alex

PP Sue

Postby PP Sue » Sat 07 Apr 2001 5:17 am

From Geust Book...
Name: Sue
Comment: I was diagnosed with KC in Feb this year, I dont know much about it, such as are my son and daughter at risk, how quickly will my sight deteriorate, could it get worse for a time, then remain static?

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Sat 07 Apr 2001 3:16 pm

I was diagnosed with KC 5 years ago. I just wanted to say that having discovered this site via advertisement at Moorfields how re-assuring you all are. I bore my wife rigid over my daily trials with KC and it helps to hear from others who know what I have to go through. Isn't one of the most frustrating things undertaking all the lens cleaning etc., retiring to bed and then wanting to read??

Alan Chown

Postby Alan Chown » Sun 08 Apr 2001 3:54 am

Deleted by author 08-04-2001 01:54 PM

Alan Chown

Postby Alan Chown » Sun 08 Apr 2001 3:59 am

Reply to Grahame,have you considered a pair of glasses for later in the evening. I have had KC for 15years+ and Moorefields recommended wearing glasses for a few hours in the evenings to provide some relief from the RGPs. I get nothing like the vision from my lenses, but its adequate to read or view TV for short durations. It gives welcome relief from those bloody lenses!

Mike Oliver

Postby Mike Oliver » Sun 08 Apr 2001 12:20 pm

I have just looked at the site for the first time since the conference.I'm glad it was well received.So many ideas have been raised, itmay take awhile to digest them.If you offered help or expressed interest in the Thames Path walk, we will be in touch.Impressed by Kent organising itself-- if everyone else does.I may be out of a job

Return to “General Discussion Forum”